What am I going to do...

C

connecticane88

Enthusiast
I was all set on how I was going to build my HT but now the fiance is putting the clamps down on the budget. I have a denon 3805 and boston acoustics vr1's. I was going to buy a svs pb-10 and a vrc center channel. I was also thinking of getting some cheaper surrounds that boston acoustics sells as well(in floor or in ceiling). Now she wants me to stop all together. How can I budget the rest of the pieces that I wanted. Do I need the $400 center to go with the vr series or could i get a cheaper one. Is there a cheaper sub that I will be saitisfied with? My room is 16 by 18. Any suggestions on cheaper equipment that is comprable would help, or should I just hold off and ave. Thanks

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
connecticane88 said:
I was all set on how I was going to build my HT but now the fiance is putting the clamps down on the budget. I have a denon 3805 and boston acoustics vr1's. I was going to buy a svs pb-10 and a vrc center channel. I was also thinking of getting some cheaper surrounds that boston acoustics sells as well(in floor or in ceiling). Now she wants me to stop all together. How can I budget the rest of the pieces that I wanted. Do I need the $400 center to go with the vr series or could i get a cheaper one. Is there a cheaper sub that I will be saitisfied with? My room is 16 by 18. Any suggestions on cheaper equipment that is comprable would help, or should I just hold off and ave. Thanks

Unfortunately, or fortunately, not sure, but you have picked your receiver first and a couple of front speakers.
Speakers are the most important aspect in audio. So, by skimping on the center, your front sound-stage may not be satisfying as the sounds pan from left to right, or switches between the center and the matching left/right speakers. So, that is a consideration, a high one.
The sub. How much do you like or want good low frequency material from music or movies? As you downgrade, you are decreasing the effect and at times too much.
As to the surrounds, I doubt you will like the ceiling mounted speakers and not sure what those in floor speakers really are.

At the end, you are between a rock and a hard place. A new wife??? Give up on your dream???

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
I'm sorry but that is just not acceptable. I don't know you or your wife, but from what read I can tell you I am really upset. Who is she to dictate you? If anything come to an agreement if the money is the issue. What I suggest is this:

Every time you deposit you pay cheque take out a small amount (eg $20/week). Ether use it to payoff your centre channel (which I think you should get now to make sure it matches you fronts) or use it to save up until you can afford your purchase without having to resort to credit cards. It is up to you to inform her of this action. :cool:

Personally I think everyone should be putting small amounts of money aside regardless of who they are. It's amazing what you can do by making a small life style change.

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
If it were me I would hold off and save. It is better to wait for what you want then settle and be disappointed. One thing I will add is that my now ex wife had a hard time understanding my ht/audio hobby. (my fience thinks its awesome;) I told her some of my buddied golf once or twice a week. By the time you add up greens fees, equipment and the 19th hole, my hobby over the long run was cheaper. It also kept me home more.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis