What album got you hooked?

John S

John S

Audioholic Intern
Béla Bartók—Concerto for Orchestra; Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta; Hungarian Sketches--Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner conductor.

Bartok's Concerto and Music for Strings not only got me hooked on 20th Century orchestral music but got me into the hardware as well. I've owned these Reiner recordings on everything from RCA Dynaflex (now there was one bad invention!) to the SACD version. Everyone I know hates this music but I never tire of it. :rolleyes:

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
MDS said:
The first album I ever had was Kansas - Leftoverture and we played that to death. It is still one of my favorites and I like every single song on it. So I would have to say that album got me hooked.
Awesome album!!!!....one of my favs still as well....from my earlier years along with the Eagles, Rush, and can't forget Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion"...still one of the best songs of all time!!!:D

buzziefunny

Audiophyte
well, i've always listened to music, ever since i was a little child, but, it didn't really "click" until i heard the Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream...the equipment, a sony walkman w/stock headphones, at full blast...first time i ever understood the importance of tone/production/recording aspects of music, not just the songwriting side...to this day, that album still sounds absolutely great, on a high end stereo or through some shoddy headphones...

later, the Orb's Orbilivion took me deeper into the realm of music and recording and a deeper understanding of Sound...

those would be the 2 main/first influences on my present tastes...

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
The Fabulous Fifties

In 1950 I was 13 years old...I know, I'm an old guy! And the pop songs were just out of this world. It would take pages to fill the list of good songs and good signers.

A couple of years ago, I bought 3 albums of a series called "The Fabulous Fifties". Each album contains 3 CD's or some 50 songs per album.

If you go to www.amazon.ca, make a search for The Fabulous Fifties and my albums are 1. Picture of the couple in a convertible 2. The Cadillac fins and 3. The Guitar.

The sound quality is simply amazing for material recorded in the 50's. That was a beautiful period for songs. Frankie Laine (21 Gold Records) with "I Believe" was my favorite.

Then in those years we had movies with Mario Lanza, what passion!

For opera, Benino Gigli in La Boheme (especially passage Vesti la Giuba). To this day I cannot identify a better tenor to match this voice and this in spite of listening to Gigli on 78 rpm recordings.

Last edited:
B

BostonMark

Audioholic
best Christmas ever

When I was about 16 I had truly caught the music bug. I had come a long way from my cassette tape of the Soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever. I didn't even have a real stereo, just a box with a built in turntable, tuner and cassette deck (eventually upgraded to a Yamaha stereo integrated amplifier, Bang & Olufsen Turntable and Advent Legacy speakers), but did I love music. That Christmas, I got one big box with my main present in it. I opened it up, not having any clue what was inside.

LPs of Pink Floyd - Meddle
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Close to the Edge
The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band
The Who - Tommy
The Who - Who Are You
Kansas - Point of no Return

To this day, I love those albums. Thanks Mom & Dad!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
In 1950, I was -16 years old, therefore I don't know too much about the music of the '50s. :)

I think every generation feels that the era in which they grew up produced the best music. The last time I was at best buy looking through all the compilation CDs for the music of the 70s and 80s, there was an older gentleman there looking through all of the hits of the 50s and 60s. I think as we get older we long for the music of our past and that is why there are a lot of labels springing up to re-release the old music (Rhino, Flashback, etc).

I wouldn't mind investigating some of the music of the 50s as I'm sure I would like it better than the crap that has been released in the 90s to the present (with some exceptions of course).

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
I was raised on classical music and opera, but Queen's "the Game" and Rush's - "Moving Pictures" made me crave a decent stereo.

RGCriss

RGCriss

Enthusiast
Hmmmm. the year, 1972, I had an Olympic stereo with an 8-track and a turntable with a ceramic cartridge that my folks gave me for Christmas.
My first taste of F.M. Radio. "Who's Next" used to make the little 4" cones rattle and sputter. Had to upgrade:)

RJB

RJB

Audioholic
There were other albums that I was into prior to this but Pink Floyd's "The Wall" was the BIG ONE for me...:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis