What about these TVs?

Capt.Ron

Capt.Ron

Audioholic Intern
Yea It's a big list but it's tough to decide and I really don't know much about the differences in LED,DLP, PLASMA etc...
I'm not really looking at price as much as I am quality and bang for the buck.
My distance from TV to seating is 15' (180") so the 82" screen should work but I worry about quality on screens that size.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thx!!
Samsung UN60C6300 60-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV
$2,497.00

Samsung UN65C6500 65-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV
$4,049.00

Mitsubishi WD-73638 73-Inch 1080p 3D-Ready DLP HDTV
$1,599.00

Mitsubishi WD-65638 65-Inch 1080p 3D-Ready DLP HDTV
$853.97

Panasonic TC-P65V10 65-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV
$3,299.00

Mitsubishi WD-82738 82-Inch 1080p 3D DLP HDTV
$3,499.00

Mitsubishi 82 DLP 120Hz 1080p 3D-Ready HDTV with TV Tuneup Professional-Grade Calibration DVD
$3,399.95

Mitsubishi WD-82737 82-Inch 1080p 120Hz Home Theater DLP HDTV
$2,679.00

Mitsubishi Diamond Series WD-82838 82-Inch 1080p 3D DLP HDTV
$3,599.99

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I personally would avoid the DLP TVs. You can get a much larger screen at a lower price but like projectors they require a bulb for the backlight and they wear out. Plan on maintenance costs of bulb replacement every year or three, depending on how much you use the TV. They are also very bulky and heavy.

The debate between plasma and lcd comes down to faithful color rendition. Plasmas do black better and don't suffer from motion lag on fast moving content (like say a hockey puck). But they are less bright and not suitable for a room that has lots of light unless you can control the light with blackout curtains.

LCD is lighter, less power hungry, and far brighter but blacks aren't as black. Still acceptable for me and I personally never notice motion lag or smearing on mine. The LED versions uses LEDs for the backlight instead of a flourescent tube and supposedly suffer less light leakage, which allows the blacks to be more faithful.

The differences in price between the models (even from the same manufacturer) is due to extra features, some of which you won't need or want at all. Based on experience, I think 120 Hz refresh is a feature you want but the newer models with 240 Hz or greater is just feature creep and not something you absolutely need.

Size-wise, the rule of thumb is 1.5 times the screen width for viewing HD content and 2-3 times for viewing SD. But like most things it's in the eye of the beholder. I have a 52" and the seating distance is normally about 12'. That's almost 3x the width of the screen and although it looks very good, the next time I would go bigger. Get the biggest screen that will fit your room and budget. I prefer LCD, but they are limited to 60" which will probably be too small for a 15' seating distance.

Capt.Ron

Capt.Ron

Audioholic Intern
Hmmm Going led might narrow it down to these.
Samsung UN60C6300 60-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV
$2,497.00

Samsung UN65C6500 65-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV
$4,049.00

then there is this one.
Sony BRAVIA KDL60NX810 60-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D-Ready LED HDTV
$4,229.00
Decisions decisions!!!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I would only consider one unit from the list, and it is the V10. FWIW, I've never owned either plasma or lcd for that matter.

The issue is the price. It sold as low as about 2.3k a year or so ago. So I simply would not pay the going rate you listed. What would I do? I'd keep waiting, with wallet out, until the VT25 price dropped big time (or the V10 for that matter, but I don't expect it to drop to the previous price again; it's really strange but a lot of older* Pana displays can cost as much or more as current ones. :confused:) A rock bottom price may last only a month, maybe even less.

Capt.Ron

Capt.Ron

Audioholic Intern
Well I'm definitely not married to those on the list. That's just all that I found on Amazon.
Any other suggested units would be considered as well.
Thx!!
I would only consider one unit from the list, and it is the V10. FWIW, I've never owned either plasma or lcd for that matter.

The issue is the price. It sold as low as about 2.3k a year or so ago. So I simply would not pay the going rate you listed. What would I do? I'd keep waiting, with wallet out, until the VT25 price dropped big time (or the V10 for that matter, but I don't expect it to drop to the previous price again; it's really strange but a lot of older* Pana displays can cost as much or more as current ones. :confused:) A rock bottom price may last only a month, maybe even less.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
what is this tv going to be used for ?

Capt.Ron

Capt.Ron

Audioholic Intern
what is this tv going to be used for ?
Our living room unit.
This will be in a new home with a fully automated A/V system (control4) with an in wall subwoofer and wall mounted surround speakers. Not much likely hood of gaming and I'm not a major sports fan so I won't be watching NFL and college ball all day on the weekends. Will be more for movies DVD, Blue Ray, Laser Disc and Dishnetwork (HD)programing.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

ok. from what you said so far. i say get the biggest you can = dlp.

will it be "perfect", no. but when you start watching 60" at 15' = yawn.
80"+ far better.
bigger really is better, to a point.

BUT
a FAR better idea. get a 65"ish flat. then get a projector for serious viewing.

as always, YMMV

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

how about some pics of the room.....

Capt.Ron

Capt.Ron

Audioholic Intern
how about some pics of the room.....
Here you go.
As you can see we're barely moved in. There is an in-wall subwoofer behind that 60" rear projection. Speakers will be mounted in the corners of the room. If you look closely you can see speaker wires hanging in the upper right corner above the TV.
I can see that we're gonna have lots of echo if we don't do something. that room has 20' ceilings and is open to the kitchen foyer, and dining room. Foyer and dining room is polished stained concrete floors and the kitchen is tile.

Attachments

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

nice room. but that fireplace is putting a damper on a higher end system = it is where the tv should be.

if it were me ( i am not you). i would put the largest tv i could there. and i would not worry about getting the best PQ set you can, you will not realize the extra PQ in that room.
then if there is enough room left, put some speakers to the sides and top of it.
if not enough room, get a nice soundbar and mount it above the tv.

jmho

Capt.Ron

Capt.Ron

Audioholic Intern
At the risk of sounding stupid.........What's a pq?
Yea the fire place is a double sided see through. Because of the location of the bar on the other side we kind of screwed up our options on location.
There is wiring in the walls for speakers to each side as well as surround speakers to the rear.
Also if you can see it there is a bundle of wires hanging from the wall to the left of the TV. That is for the control4 system that will be going in next. We have the house setup for this in all 3 bedrooms, the game room and outdoor kitchen as well. We also have wiring under the soffits for some outdoor wall mount speakers and a junction box in the brick to run some ground level speakers. Probably will get some of those stone speaker boxes for that.

nice room. but that fireplace is putting a damper on a higher end system = it is where the tv should be.

if it were me ( i am not you). i would put the largest tv i could there. and i would not worry about getting the best PQ set you can, you will not realize the extra PQ in that room.
then if there is enough room left, put some speakers to the sides and top of it.
if not enough room, get a nice soundbar and mount it above the tv.

jmho

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

you say your going to put the speakers in the corners. can you be more specific ?
i don't see a corner to the left.

Capt.Ron

Capt.Ron

Audioholic Intern
the double doors on the left under the juliet baloney are against a 3' wide wall which is our coat closet. In the corner above those doors is a set of speaker wires.
If we mount that speaker to the far left it will be about 13' away from the center of the tv. The right speaker will be about 4'.
Not exactly optimal positioning.

B

Bass Bum

Audioholic Intern
That seems to be a nightmare of a room for any decent audio quality. You could probably spend a fortune on acoustic treatments and still end up wanting. If it were me, I would not waste my time or money on mounting speakers in that room.

Due to all of the light coming in from those windows/doors I would look for a decent LED/LCD display. I would buy an inexpensive receiver, mount a couple of small external speakers to the sides (or a sound bar underneath) for added volume, and call it a day.

But, that's just me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis