What’s the worst marketing snake oil you’ve ever experienced first hand? Sales pitch, actual purchase, etc

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
When I was younger I was sold on many stories, but back then I had no money to buy anything so no ill came out of it. By the time I started buying my own equipment, I had enough info, so I was sort of, spared. In one part by the AH as well; long time ago, I was about to buy my first expensive pair of speakers and almost fell for the speaker cables BS. Funny turn of events, I gave up on those cables when a forum debate led me to AH, I started reading and gradually gave up on the speakers I wanted to buy too. I'm happy I did.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I go in knowing what I want, as studied before hand. I generally know more than the salesperson, for example. I'll ask the sales person for the item, if the case. New car buying has to be minimum, 16-18% off msrp, and has to be a Ford or GM. Today's buying for me, other than a car, is on line or phone, for electronics and appliances, for the most part.

0, forgot, I did experience an ordeal in the early 70's at a Pontiac dealer. The salesman wanted me to buy a Firebird and pushed and pushed and eventually landed in the dealers owner office, to explain why I should have. Unbelievable experience. I ended up with a Lemans, which I wanted all along. That's all I remember.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
If I had the money I'd buy a cable cooker. Not because I believe in that nonsense, but I wonder if I could get enough fools to send me cables and pay me to break them in.

Easiest money ever. I would open the package of cables the customers sent me, unravel the cables and put them in a shipping box, then mail them back 2 weeks later. Laugh all the way to the bank.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
4k tv non hdr , and a monster HDMI cable . The cable still works tho , unlike a few budget ones that died .
I got a klh 10” subwoofer before the brand died that was overly boomy ... 2001
I’m stupid to not got the 12”
Bestbuy no longer has a sound room ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The worst snake oil is not where some device, like cryo-treated cable, is sold with extravagant claims about improved sound. It's the snake oil that wastes much more of the buyer's money.

It's the idea that 2-channel stereo receivers or amps have inherently better sound quality than modern AVRs. People who buy into this usually start off objecting to the cost of unused amplifier channels, not to mention all those other unwanted features. They claim they only want the best sound quality for music. Sooner or later, the salesman talks them into two different systems, one for music and one for movies. It costs them much, much more than any of those dubious gimmicky devices.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
The Shun Mook blocks of dung.....DO NOT BUY THIS DUNG OR ANYTHING ELSE ON THIS WEBSITE...Just go by a farm and hold your hands out when a cow's about to take a dump, take it home (FOR FREE) and toss it around in your room.....It would make your music sound better than Shun Mook dung..a.k.a., more "organic", "musical" and throw a "uuuuuuuggggggeee fkin soundstage"
http://www.shunmook.com/hifiproduct_2.html

http://www.shunmook.com/explained.html Oooooo Ooooooo

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Went to BestBuy for an adapter and wondered into Magnolia, never know what TV may be on sale. Apparently REL subwoofers aren’t affected by room boundaries like other subwoofers.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
When I purcahsed my first Pre/Pro (Anthem AVM30)I had no idea about interconnects, was talked into buying 200 a pair Monster Cabler interconnects...never again lol, especially since I had to buy 4 of them.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Two pages in and nobody has mentioned their marriage? I'm sure there was quite a pitch for some and a few may regret buying that cow. That's why I keep hanging around this joint, loyal and honest gentlemen. Handsome lot as well. ;) Might I spoil any of you with money or gift?:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you guys like to see and mock Audio Bullshit, come on over to the group of the same name over on FB.....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The worst snake oil is not where some device, like cryo-treated cable, is sold with extravagant claims about improved sound. It's the snake oil that wastes much more of the buyer's money.

It's the idea that 2-channel stereo receivers or amps have inherently better sound quality than modern AVRs. People who buy into this usually start off objecting to the cost of unused amplifier channels, not to mention all those other unwanted features. They claim they only want the best sound quality for music. Sooner or later, the salesman talks them into two different systems, one for music and one for movies. It costs them much, much more than any of those dubious gimmicky devices.
If you are gonna have 2 different systems, at least have them in 2 different rooms!

Yeah, the "HT bypass" options on some analog pre-amps :rolleyes:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
One time when I was in college, I worked the summers as "make ready" for apartment complexes. Anything left behind in a vacated appt either went to the dumpster, or it was fair game.

I found me a nice set of Monster cables that had been left behind! Back then, all I knew was, "these are expensive cables". I think I still have some of it in service, it was the Red/White/Yellow, and I think I pulled 1 of the cables off the rest of the set.

So, at least I lucked into some free snake oil :cool:

Good cables, but certainly not worth whatever the MSRP was.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Cable lifters, special power cords. Two well known snake oils. Did not fall for either.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Tice clock. Plug it in and all your audio components will sound better. And people actually bought these.:(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis