Wharfedale diamond sw150 + Yamaha as201 compatability

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is your subwoofer the Yamaha YST-SW150?
If so, it has high-level speaker outputs!

Disconnect your speaker cables from the 122's. Run the speaker cables from the AS201 to the "From Amplifier" inputs on the YST-SW150. Then run another set of speaker cables from the "To Speakers" connection of the SW150 to your 122's.

Set the "High Cut Filter" to 60Hz which should work with the low-end roll-off of your speakers.

Set the AS201 to a comfortable level. Using music you are familiar with that has a fair amount of bass and adjust the volume of the subwoofer to match the speakers. I usually turn it up just until I begin to hear the sound of the sub coming from the sub (when I am close, adjusting the knob). I leave it there and do iterative fine adjustments later listening from the listening position.
Yamaha integrated amp, Wharfedale sub SW150. Couldn't find much on the sub myself and wondering what its connection options are....

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
See if what works? I'm not having any issues, im just a bit confused as how to hook up the sw150 without a subwoofer output.
My mistake. Got this confused with another thread.

S

silba

Enthusiast
Is your subwoofer the Yamaha YST-SW150?
If so, it has high-level speaker outputs!

Disconnect your speaker cables from the 122's. Run the speaker cables from the AS201 to the "From Amplifier" inputs on the YST-SW150. Then run another set of speaker cables from the "To Speakers" connection of the SW150 to your 122's.

Set the "High Cut Filter" to 60Hz which should work with the low-end roll-off of your speakers.

Set the AS201 to a comfortable level. Using music you are familiar with that has a fair amount of bass and adjust the volume of the subwoofer to match the speakers. I usually turn it up just until I begin to hear the sound of the sub coming from the sub (when I am close, adjusting the knob). I leave it there and do iterative fine adjustments later listening from the listening position.
Yamaha integrated amp, Wharfedale sub SW150. Couldn't find much on the sub myself and wondering what its connection options are....
Sorry KEW i should have been more clear. Looks like some good advice though thanks!

To clarify... I want the Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer. It seems like a great buy at the price and will allow me to spend more on an amp/receiver and i can just upgrade the subwoofer at a later date when i have more money.

The AMP i thought was a good match is the Yamaha AS201 but I've hit a bit of a roadblock trying to figure out how to hook it up to the SW150. I've emailed a support tech for a reputable online audio store and he got back to me saying "Hi Reece, You could use the Analogue Recorder out on the Yamaha for the Subwoofer to make it work."

Shorty after i decided to post here for some clarification.

Here's a picture and link of the back of the SW150 and the AS201.

SW150

AS201

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Google images usually comes through!

Silba,
Happily you have RCA inputs and outputs on your sub. So here's your hook up:
1) run Headphone out from TV to sub RCA inputs.
2) run sub RCA outputs to as201

It is that easy, but note that since the sub comes before the integrated amp, using the volume control on the amp will mess up the balance between the sub and amp (you will be turning up the speakers while the sub stays at the same level). Consequently, once you tune the balance between the sub and the amp, the TV is your working volume control.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry KEW i should have been more clear. Looks like some good advice though thanks!

To clarify... I want the Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer. It seems like a great buy at the price and will allow me to spend more on an amp/receiver and i can just upgrade the subwoofer at a later date when i have more money.

The AMP i thought was a good match is the Yamaha AS201 but I've hit a bit of a roadblock trying to figure out how to hook it up to the SW150. I've emailed a support tech for a reputable online audio store and he got back to me saying "Hi Reece, You could use the Analogue Recorder out on the Yamaha for the Subwoofer to make it work."

Shorty after i decided to post here for some clarification.

Here's a picture and link of the back of the SW150 and the AS201.

SW150

AS201
We were typing at the same time.
Since you will be using your TV as a source selector and volume control/remote, you really have no need for an integrated amp. You can simply buy a power amp like the Behringer A500 I linked.

S

silba

Enthusiast
We were typing at the same time.
Since you will be using your TV as a source selector and volume control/remote, you really have no need for an integrated amp. You can simply buy a power amp like the Behringer A500 I linked.
Ok thanks Kurt. Let me get this straight theres 3 types of 'amps' which i didnt know until this thread...

Receiver - Bunch of stuff i dont need unless i want 5.1/7.1 etc? Costs alot for the power i need.
Integrated - Costs a bit less, has a bit less stuff and is generally 2.1?
Power - Costs loads less and has even less features but makes up for it with lots of power and is perfect for 2.1 but needs a controlable source?
Please feel free to tell me how wrong i am about the above haha(if i am:) ).

Before this thread existed i would have called them all "amps" and assumed the power amps were low quality for such a low price and high power. Now i know that this is their purpose and especially that a500 you linked, gets really good reviews.

This has given me a lot to think about whether i want to stay 2.1 or eventually go 5.1.

thanks so much Kurt and everyone else.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ok thanks Kurt. Let me get this straight theres 3 types of 'amps' which i didnt know until this thread...

Receiver - Bunch of stuff i dont need unless i want 5.1/7.1 etc? Costs alot for the power i need.
Integrated - Costs a bit less, has a bit less stuff and is generally 2.1?
Power - Costs loads less and has even less features but makes up for it with lots of power and is perfect for 2.1 but needs a controlable source?
Please feel free to tell me how wrong i am about the above haha(if i am:) ).

Before this thread existed i would have called them all "amps" and assumed the power amps were low quality for such a low price and high power. Now i know that this is their purpose and especially that a500 you linked, gets really good reviews.

This has given me a lot to think about whether i want to stay 2.1 or eventually go 5.1.

thanks so much Kurt and everyone else.
Just a couple of comments.
A stereo receiver is essentially an Integrated Amp with a tuner (radio) built-in
An AVR (audio video receiver) has the provision to accomodate video which includes adding additional channels (5, 7, 9, 11 channels depending on how crazy you want to get.
Music is still primarily recorded in stereo with a few exceptions.
A stereo Receiver may have a sub output, but this is almost always a full-range signal combining both channels into one monophonic output for the sub. You need to use the crossover at the sub to attempt to match the natural roll-off of your speakers.
An AVR typically has one or two sub outputs which output a signal tailored to bass. The AVR includes bass management which rolls-off the speakers and the subwoofer signals at whatever frequency you select. This allows the roll-off of the speakers and the sub to be theoretically a perfect match. The AVR also includes a processor to be able to provide various sound modes (Dolby, DTS, etc).
An Integrated Amp is the combination of a pre-amp and a power amp. The pre-amp manages volume, tone control, balance, input selection, etc. while the power amp simply increases the power to a level capable of driving speakers.

The price of an AVR is generally very competitive with integrated amps. The Yamaha amps are a standout for being economical. Otherwise, you will be hard pressed to find a name brand integrated amp for less than $500. Emotiva has some, but I'm not sure you can get in the UK.
The reason AVR's are competitive is that in the current market, a mainstream company probably sells at least 20 AVR vs each integrated amp they sell. The higher volume of production takes advantage of the economies of scale and mass production.

The Behringer A500 is an exceptional buy, not really indicative of the Power amp market. For one thing, it is intendeded to be used in the pro audio industry (for performance) rather than home audio. It eschews pretty milled aluminum face-pates and polished knobs for simply practical amplification and takes advantage of the higher volume of power amps sold in the highly competitive pro-audio market.

These (especially the AVR) are complex equipment and there are several different variations, but this kind of summarized the general differences.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Google images usually comes through!

Silba,
Happily you have RCA inputs and outputs on your sub. So here's your hook up:
1) run Headphone out from TV to sub RCA inputs.
2) run sub RCA outputs to as201

It is that easy, but note that since the sub comes before the integrated amp, using the volume control on the amp will mess up the balance between the sub and amp (you will be turning up the speakers while the sub stays at the same level). Consequently, once you tune the balance between the sub and the amp, the TV is your working volume control.
I wasn't that successful. Tried finding a manual on the Wharfedale site as was curious what the crossover was, just a low pass filter, or if a high pass filter was active on the rca and/or speaker level outputs.

S

silba

Enthusiast
Just a couple of comments.
A stereo receiver is essentially an Integrated Amp with a tuner (radio) built-in
An AVR (audio video receiver) has the provision to accomodate video which includes adding additional channels (5, 7, 9, 11 channels depending on how crazy you want to get.
Music is still primarily recorded in stereo with a few exceptions.
A stereo Receiver may have a sub output, but this is almost always a full-range signal combining both channels into one monophonic output for the sub. You need to use the crossover at the sub to attempt to match the natural roll-off of your speakers.
An AVR typically has one or two sub outputs which output a signal tailored to bass. The AVR includes bass management which rolls-off the speakers and the subwoofer signals at whatever frequency you select. This allows the roll-off of the speakers and the sub to be theoretically a perfect match. The AVR also includes a processor to be able to provide various sound modes (Dolby, DTS, etc).
An Integrated Amp is the combination of a pre-amp and a power amp. The pre-amp manages volume, tone control, balance, input selection, etc. while the power amp simply increases the power to a level capable of driving speakers.

The price of an AVR is generally very competitive with integrated amps. The Yamaha amps are a standout for being economical. Otherwise, you will be hard pressed to find a name brand integrated amp for less than $500. Emotiva has some, but I'm not sure you can get in the UK.
The reason AVR's are competitive is that in the current market, a mainstream company probably sells at least 20 AVR vs each integrated amp they sell. The higher volume of production takes advantage of the economies of scale and mass production.

The Behringer A500 is an exceptional buy, not really indicative of the Power amp market. For one thing, it is intendeded to be used in the pro audio industry (for performance) rather than home audio. It eschews pretty milled aluminum face-pates and polished knobs for simply practical amplification and takes advantage of the higher volume of power amps sold in the highly competitive pro-audio market.

These (especially the AVR) are complex equipment and there are several different variations, but this kind of summarized the general differences.
thanks Kurt. Given me alot to think about and some great information to help me along the way. Really appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis