Welp, I think the HDMI board in my Onkyo is dying...again

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Turned on the receiver today and main HDMI out seems to be dead. Monitor out works, but this old 809 my be done.

I had the HDMI board replaced a few years ago after the recall, and it's been solid as a rock since, but this may be the beginning of the end. Oh well.

It is irritating that stuff doesn't last longer, but this thing has had issues since day one. I'll probably just get a Denon x1500h to replace it with.

Any ideas on what I can try to test the output? All inputs are good.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Ha
Turned on the receiver today and main HDMI out seems to be dead. Monitor out works, but this old 809 my be done.

I had the HDMI board replaced a few years ago after the recall, and it's been solid as a rock since, but this may be the beginning of the end. Oh well.

It is irritating that stuff doesn't last longer, but this thing has had issues since day one. I'll probably just get a Denon x1500h to replace it with.

Any ideas on what I can try to test the output? All inputs are good.
Sorry to hear. Did you keep a fan on it? I never had any issues at all especially reading that people had issues overheating. I put a fan on all my recievers with no issues at all. Maybe Onkyo still does the repair I'd call and ask.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
anything that overheats (assuming it's kept in a properly ventilated location) that requires additional cooling is poorly designed IMO. The days of anything lasting 20 plus years are pretty much gone ......... hell my Flat panel TV (Samsung)lasted a little over 7 years and I was told I was 'lucky' !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well the Onkyo I've got (which also got the hdmi/network board fix from that range of model years) is still going strong, hopefully won't follow yours any time soon but ya never know in today's world of relatively cheap consumer electronics and our somewhat disposable society. Only tests I can think of would be try another hdmi cable/device....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ha

Sorry to hear. Did you keep a fan on it? I never had any issues at all especially reading that people had issues overheating. I put a fan on all my recievers with no issues at all. Maybe Onkyo still does the repair I'd call and ask.
It's open to the air. I've had it around 8 years or so, but it seems to still be working fine. It and the Denon 1300 in the living room get the most use.

It's probably on at least 4-5 hrs a day so it's not like it's just sitting there. I'll keep using it until something else happens. Pretty far out of warranty at this point. Even the recall IIRC.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
anything that overheats (assuming it's kept in a properly ventilated location) that requires additional cooling is poorly designed IMO. The days of anything lasting 20 plus years are pretty much gone ......... hell my Flat panel TV (Samsung)lasted a little over 7 years and I was told I was 'lucky' !
Yeah, 7 years is not very long. I've got a 42" plasma that is almost 12 years old and still works just fine. Panasonic though so that's pretty much expected.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don’t know. Might think about Yamaha. :D
I would, but with the other two receivers being Denon (and are excellent IMHO) I'll probably stick with them until I'm given a reason not too. I do like Audyssey too.

You never know though, I may switch just to see what else is out there. Be nice trying out another brand, especially Yamaha.

Cross that bridge when I come to it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry to hear that. The upside is that you can start shopping again. Have you considered at looking at something used?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry to hear that happened.

A Denon 1500 has less power than an Onkyo 809 though.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry to hear that. The upside is that you can start shopping again. Have you considered at looking at something used?
Maybe. If it was from a member, no problem, but since some of these Denon's are so cheap now, I don't think I'd have an issue with new.

It isn't dead yet so I don't think I'll need to start shopping just yet.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Please do buy a cheap laptop fan and use it. It will save you headaches believe me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have nothing useful to share other than, "that sucks". Sounds like you got a few miles out of tho.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
I had an Onkyo 876 that never gave me a problem and I kept a fan on it sucking heat out. Some may not know but there was an Onkyo issue with surface mount caps on the HDMI boards in question, I believe they were of a lower heat spec than they should have been.

I also took an Onkyo 906 off the hands of a disgruntled owner(for free!) and fixed the HDMI board by replacing the 9 or 10 caps and adding regulators across them, if I recall. It worked like a champ and after a month I sold it. I wish I had kept it, it sounded better than my 876 for some reason.

Then my buddy's Onkyo 606(?) HDMI board died. I was able to fix that one as well for him. Onkyo finally resolved their HDMI board issue, but after my experience with them I turned into a Denon man. The Denons have a better implementation of Audyssey in my opinion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis