Well recorded CD's?

B

Bevan

Audioholic
was wondering what albums you guys have that you think are extremely well recorded. i'm thinking more popular music than stuff off audiophile labels like chesky.

in my cd collection some of my favourites in terms of sound quality are:

ani difanco - revelling, up up up up
dave matthews band - before these crowdwd streets
ben harper - welcome to the cruel world
patricia barber - verses
buena visat social club

b.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Pink Floyd "Pulse"
Foo Fighters "In Your Honor" especially the acoustic

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Layer Cake (soundtrack)
Jack Johnson-in between dreams
Ella and Loui (remastered by the verve)

B

brushro

Audioholic
Great sounding CD's

Two of my favorites are....Dave Mason: Mariposa De Oro & Doobie Bro's: What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits

B

brushro

Audioholic
Well Recorded CD's

even though it sounds great in SACD an immediate candidate upon initial public release was Roxy Musics "Avalon".

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Most of the stuff from the Steely Dan libarary (first album, not so great, and Gaucho is VERY bright).

Almost anything on GRP (Dave Grusin, Rippingtons, etc)

Live at Yoshi's (volume 1 and 2)

Innervisions (Stevie Wonder)

Songs in the Key of Life (Stevie Wonder)

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Since you like Patria Barber and Dave Mathews, I'd conclude you have a knack for jazz materials as well, right?

I would say that all the Patricia Barber albums I have, like Cafe Blue, Modern Cool, Companion, Distortion Of Love and Nightclub sound gorgeous. Some are on SACD but their CD layers should indicate the quality you can expect from their CD releases. I believe they're mostly from Mobile Fidelity records which has a reputation for excellent quality recordings.

TELARC records are also known for gorgeous recordings in the classical and lately in pop and jazz. I got this Let Me Off Uptown from former Manhattan Trasnfer singer Cheryl Bentyne and I must say the sonics are just demo quality. There's another Telarc record from various artists singing Ivan Lins compositions, just forgot the title.

Curious why you single out Chesky for an exception coz they do have excellent recordings, though they're mostly latin and bossa nova style from the likes of Ana Caram and Rebecca Pidgeon, but they also have jazz titles like from Dave's True Story .

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
Dianne Schuur and Count Basie Orchestra is my reference recording. The performance is simply amazing: vocally, she doesn't sing from the back of her throat as she does on some of her other albums; instrumentally, the basie orchestra is really swinging. The soundstage is broad and deep.

Ella Fitzgerald's Clap Hands here Comes Charlie is a good disc as well, especially for female vocals.

David Sanborn's Straight to the Heart is another awesome recording. Especially the track "Smile." Great solos from Hiram Bullock on piano, Marcus Miller on bass, and of course Sanborn on Sax. the song has great dynamics.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Sting - Brand New Day

B

Bevan

Audioholic
thanks j-garcia. i knew there must be a similar thread but couldnt find it.

av_phile, was definitely not excluding chesky, i just meant to ask for some suggestions that i would be more likely to find at my local cd store.

yeah, and bella fleck!

b.

p.s just heard patricia barbers modern cool a few minutes ago. track 4....OMG! went strait to amazon afterwards and ordered 'companion' in sacd. i cant imagine it being better than what i just heard in terms of sq, but i bet i'll be surprised(have only heard 3 highres disks in my life, even though i own a universal player :rolleyes: )

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
I've said it before...

...and I'll say it again...Bill Frisell's "Gone, Just Like A Train"

jimHJJ(...worth a listen and a half...and then some...)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have quite a few of her SACDs (if not all of them). Companion and Cafe Blue are her best, IMO, and Modern Cool is good too. Note too that all of them are 2ch only. I'd skip Nightclub, unless you like lounge type music because, though extremely well recorded, it'll put you to sleep. I first heard Companion on CD and was already very impressed with the recording, which is why I picked up the SACD releases. Good stuff. I'm not totally enamoured with all of her singing, but the recordings are too good to pass up.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
yea, her singing is pretty unusual i'll admit. that track 4 i'd call more wailing than singing. also a very 'psychedelic'. more in the vein of peter gabriels' 'passion', or shpongle(the best electronic music ever made and thats not even an opinion :p) than what you'd normally think of as jaz i'd say?

bobbydigital

bobbydigital

Junior Audioholic
Neil Young -Prarie wind is very well recorded

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I found 'Seal-Best of 1991-2004' 2 disc CD Album very suprising. The 3 dimensional involvment, richness and depth was incredible, just dont turn your sub off 'cause it digs down to and below 20Hz :D . I've been more into movies and some DVD-A's, never really sat and listened to 2 channel music(normally have CD's cranked while doing other things). But when I stuck this in I couldnt move from my chair, it just blew me away, I could swear I was listening to a 5.1 DVD-A, It was that good.

Disk 1 is the origional versions, Disc 2 is acoustic arrangements.

cheers :)

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
MACCA350 said:
I found 'Seal-Best of 1991-2004' 2 disc CD Album very suprising. The 3 dimensional involvment, richness and depth was incredible, just dont turn your sub off 'cause it digs down to and below 20Hz :D . I've been more into movies and some DVD-A's, never really sat and listened to 2 channel music(normally have CD's cranked while doing other things). But when I stuck this in I couldnt move from my chair, it just blew me away, I could swear I was listening to a 5.1 DVD-A, It was that good.

Disk 1 is the origional versions, Disc 2 is acoustic arrangements.

cheers :)
I agree - I have this as a DVD-A and it is amazing. His original tracks completely open up in surround, and the acoustic versions are great. I would also recommend the early Elton John albums on SACD - they were good recordings to begin with and sound tremendous in surround.

Anything by Steely Dan was very well done, particularly the last two - incredible detail, even in two channel.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I searched the net for this album in DVD-A but I couldnt find it. Where did you get it?

cheers:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
MACCA350 said:
I searched the net for this album in DVD-A but I couldnt find it. Where did you get it?
Really? Shouldn't be hard to find. I've seen it in just about every store that I buy music from; Frys, Tower, BB, etc... Amazon link.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis