Weird Audyssey experience...

J

JimBanville

Audiophyte
So I had a weird experience with Audyssey and the MultiiEQ app.
I had previously set up audyssey through my x3600. I bought the app and set up audyssey again, but with the app. Some of the speaker distances (not the sub) and levels seemed "off" a bit compared to what I know the figures are, having ran audyssey many times over the years. Anyway, after finishing I kept getting an error that it couldn't send the file to the x3600 (I think its an IOS issue), but it finally went through.
I wanted to investigate those "off" levels and distances, so I did a little experiment. I ran audyssey using the AVR (let's call this the "A run") and did just three out of eight measurements (to make it go faster) from a single mic location in my main seat to get a baseline. I took note of all the distances, xovers, and even the graphical EQ results of what audyssey did when you pull those up using the AVR's on TV screen menu (not that "after" graph on the app), by taking pics with my phone. I carefully slipped the audyssey mic out of my boom mic stand and carefully inserted my umik1 and used REW to get a measurement of what that audyssey run actually did to the signal. After that, I carefully reinserted the audyssey mic into the mic stand and ran audyssey again, but using the app (let's call this the "B run"). I didn't make any changes to the final results and I sent this to my AVR with no errors. Using the app this time the distances and levels were either identical or very, very close to the Audyssey "A run" done just using the AVR, BUT looking at the on screen (TV) graphical audyssey EQ results, they looked quite a bit different from the "A run". I carefully swapped mics and ran REW. The "B run" results showed a VERY jagged measurement compared to the "A run", especially in the deep bass. So, I carefully swapped mics again and did another "in AVR" audyssey run ("C run"). Once complete, the on screen graphical EQ results from the "C run" looked identical to the "A run". Hmm? I then carefully swapped mics and did another REW measurement. The result of the "C run" looked extremely close to the "A run". I'll post two screen shots of the REW measurements. One has two lines. Those are just the "A run" and "C run" (in-AVR runs). One has three lines. Those are all the runs (A, B & C). Can someone explain this? Thanks!

Edit/afterthoughts ...I seem to remember that although the trim levels from the all the runs with within a db or so, the "app" run was louder. I had to turn the AVR volume down like 5 db so the REW graphs would line up. Also, although some people say it doesn't make a difference, I set my AVR volume to 0 before I plug in the mic and do an audyssey run.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. I'm new here. Is that a separate forum? I posted here because it seemed the most appropriate forum.
Well its the same forum, different subforums but subforums don't tend to have much impact beyond a general category....having your own thread may be fine but the extra eyes/experience the other thread have already established may help out....

J

JimBanville

Audiophyte
So I also posted this question over at AVS forum. Another member found the same glitch with his x3600! I wonder how widespread this problem is? How many x3600 owners could be having a terrible Audyssey experience using the app?? :(

F

felipe

Audioholic
When I had the 3600 I had similar issues with the app...also thinking it was an IOS issue. Any Android users with the app have issues??

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis