Weight difference between two 12-inch subwoofers -- SVS SB-2000 and Rythmik F12

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Rythmik 12-inch -- 4217 cu. in., approx. 80 lbs. shipping weight
SBS SB-2000 -- 3193 cu. in., approx. 40 lbs. shipping weight

Obviously, with the Rythmik having about 33 percent more box size (based on external measurements),that would explain some of the difference. What about the rest of the difference?

Rythmik says they use class A/B amps, while SVS uses class D amps (I think). Does this explain the rest of the difference? Does the Rythmik servo technology have features that add to the weight?

Thanks!

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Rythmik 12" hasn't really been measured, so who knows how well it performs. Its larger cabinet is certainly an advantage in low frequencies. The SVS has a very good driver, but I would think the same would be true in the Rythmik. I doubt that servo technology adds anything significant to the weight. Its class A/B amp could easily be heavier than the Class D in the SVS. I wouldn't just assume that because the Rythmik is heavier, it must be better. The XXLS driver in the SB-2000 is terrifically linear, one of the better 12"s that can be had.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Thanks! Yes, the drivers seem similar in construction, i.e., both have rubber surrounds and aluminum cones.

"The Rythmik 12" hasn't really been measured..." I saw this talked about in another thread and I wondered what it meant. Rythmik publishes frequency response charts, so it can't refer to that...or does it? Does it mean that the F12 hasn't been measured while the servo is defeated?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If I were going between the two, I'd see what the cost is to use the GR Research SW12 driver in the F12. I think that would best the SVS in overall performance, albeit incremental.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
"The Rythmik 12" hasn't really been measured..." I saw this talked about in another thread and I wondered what it meant. Rythmik publishes frequency response charts, so it can't refer to that...or does it? Does it mean that the F12 hasn't been measured while the servo is defeated?
It means that manufacturer provided responses don't mean much until verified by third parties.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
If I were going between the two, I'd see what the cost is the use the GR Research SW12 driver in the F12. I think that would best the SVS in overall performance, albeit incremental.
Thanks. I haven't decided which way to go, but the extra extension from the Rythmik F12 is worth something (servo or not), although I don't know if it is worth the cost difference when purchasing duals (about $500 at this time).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like my Rythmik LVX12 a lot. You might like that model. It’s a big sub and ported. I have mine in one port mode. I plan to add another one eventually to smooth the bass response but not for lack of output! :)

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
I like my Rythmik LVX12 a lot. You might like that model. It’s a big sub and ported. I have mine in one port mode. I plan to add another one eventually to smooth the bass response but not for lack of output! :)
Since I only have a 2-channel setup, I'll probably go with the sealed type. But, yeah, whether Rythmik, SVS, PSA, or Hsu (or several other brands) it would be hard to make a wrong decision. It is just a matter of teasing out the minor differences and small trade-offs of each model. These are smart companies, so there is a good deal of intelligence behind each of their decisions, IMO.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It means that manufacturer provided responses don't mean much until verified by third parties.
Just curious, have you ever compared the Rythmik measurements vs. 3rd party measurements for their subs?

Bryan looks to be one heck of an engineer, I don't think he needs to try to mislead potential customers with bogus measurements.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Rythmik 12-inch -- 4217 cu. in., approx. 80 lbs. shipping weight
SBS SB-2000 -- 3193 cu. in., approx. 40 lbs. shipping weight

Obviously, with the Rythmik having about 33 percent more box size (based on external measurements),that would explain some of the difference. What about the rest of the difference?

Rythmik says they use class A/B amps, while SVS uses class D amps (I think). Does this explain the rest of the difference? Does the Rythmik servo technology have features that add to the weight?

Thanks!
I don't know much about the SVS, but have you ever seen the internals on a Rythmik?

He uses large transformers on the P/S, and the drivers that I have seen were all cast baskets too. Not sure if ALL of his drivers are cast or not.

I have owned an F15HP for quite a few years and it is a freaking beast of a sub. My bro-in-law owns the FV15HP and it is an even bigger beast.

For us, Rythmik is a local company, I met Bryan when I bought my sub at his small shop here in town. That is just icing on the cake for me, keep the $ local, and if I ever have any problems (I haven't had any problems),then I can just get help right across town.

For what it is worth, he has degrees in both Electrical Engineering and Acoustical Engineering out of USC.

I highly doubt this is for the F12, this is likely his ~600W amp or so:

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just curious, have you ever compared the Rythmik measurements vs. 3rd party measurements for their subs?

Bryan looks to be one heck of an engineer, I don't think he needs to try to mislead potential customers with bogus measurements.
Rythmik's measurements are generally in line with that of third party measurements. But as a rule I would say treat manufacture measurements with a grain of salt, especially if you don't know how those measurements were made.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Rythmik's measurements are generally in line with that of third party measurements. But as a rule I would say treat manufacture measurements with a grain of salt, especially if you don't know how those measurements were made.
Fair enough, and I think this is the key
especially if you don't know how those measurements were made

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Both companies make great subs, but there is a reason Ascend sells Rythmik.
Ascend used to sell Hsu subwoofers, until Hsu started manufacturing speakers and stopped allowing the sales of their products from other parties.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis