Webb Space Telescope

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Meanwhile, on planet earth. Sorry, this is terrestrial but I thought it was a cool shot of Etna.

View attachment 54019
I think that´s way scary to be honest ..... these guys can throw out those pyroclastic streams and then it´s only one thing to do... run for your life and that´s probably not fast enough ...... I think Etna is real scary volcano!

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
I think that´s way scary to be honest ..... these guys can throw out those pyroclastic streams and then it´s only one thing to do... run for your life and that´s probably not fast enough ...... I think Etna is real scary volcano!
Absolutely, I cannot believe that there are cities near these natural ovens. Naples, Italy is one of the worst exposed. The whole harbour is a collapsed caldera.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Absolutely, I cannot believe that there are cities near these natural ovens. Naples, Italy is one of the worst exposed. The whole harbour is a collapsed caldera.

Yeahh.... Pompeii was cought by pyroclastic stream from Vesuv in year 79 ad... the whole city buried in something like 18 feet of lava.... in a very short time.... energy release about 100.000 Hiroshima bombs; something there is no way to escape.... scary is nowhere close to cover it!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Ummm... have you not noticed the benefits of settling in places that are geologically dangerous?
Humans have a long, blind relationship with Fault Lines, Volcanoes, Flood Plains... A wide swath of the Midwestern "Bread Basket" is known as Tornado Alley...
Let's not even start down the path of settling near tropical coastlines and the susceptibility to Hurricanes.
:)

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Ummm... have you not noticed the benefits of settling in places that are geologically dangerous?
Humans have a long, blind relationship with Fault Lines, Volcanoes, Flood Plains... A wide swath of the Midwestern "Bread Basket" is known as Tornado Alley...
Let's not even start down the path of settling near tropical coastlines and the susceptibility to Hurricanes.
:)
Sure they have. But until recently (last 100 years?), they thought the gods were mad at them when sh&t hit the fan and either went to church or slit the throat of a chicken....
Now they have a choice!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Sure they have. But until recently (last 100 years?), they thought the gods were mad at them when sh&t hit the fan and either went to church or slit the throat of a chicken....
Now they have a choice!
Well, Vikings were afraid that sun was going to disappear during winter, so they had to make some sacrifices to please to gods ..... my brother was living in the Ivory Coasts some decades ago and told me that you really need to watch out there; They still do sacrifice people to the gods of the seas o_O

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Well, Vikings were afraid that sun was going to disappear during winter, so they had to make some sacrifices to please to gods ..... my brother was living in the Ivory Coasts some decades ago and told me that you really need to watch out there; They still do sacrifice people to the gods of the seas o_O
Vikings discovered America first not Columbus.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Who “discovered” the continents of the Americas?
Not Europeans.
And not within the last thousand years. Or 2000…

Like I said, Vikings get a bad rap no respect. :D:p So Vikings didn't, Columbus didn't. Mexicans discovered America first? Oh wait they where already here. :D

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Like I said, Vikings get a bad rap no respect. :D:p So Vikings didn't, Columbus didn't. Mexicans discovered America first? Oh wait they where already here. :D
Yeah, if we want to get technical it's the Siberian tribes that came over the Bering passage 20k years ago (maybe under orders from Putin?).

When i lived in South America in the 90s, they made a discovery in a cave in Chile that they claimed contained evidence of visits from the ancient Jomon culture that originated in Japan 15,000? years ago. The oceans were much lower back then so the trip would have been much easier. History is awesome.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
And the question becomes, is it trying to become a sun in the distant future?
Jupiter doesn't have enough mass to become a star. As large as Jupiter is, the sun has more than 1,000 times the mass of Jupiter.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, if we want to get technical it's the Siberian tribes that came over the Bering passage 20k years ago (maybe under orders from Putin?).

When i lived in South America in the 90s, they made a discovery in a cave in Chile that they claimed contained evidence of visits from the ancient Jomon culture that originated in Japan 15,000? years ago. The oceans were much lower back then so the trip would have been much easier. History is awesome.
Yeah I was referring to the Columbus thing. There's a lot of misinformation in the history books. When I was in grade school there wasn't internet Google. So Columbus discovered America! Yeah okay. But here on AH we got a Lot of Fact-O finding on here. @ryanosaur is probably our leader of fact-o guys on AH.;).

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Jupiter doesn't have enough mass to become a star. As large as Jupiter is, the sun has more than 1,000 times the mass of Jupiter.
Yup. If you were to combine all of the planets and every object from the Oort cloud and asteroid belt they only make up like 1% of the total mass of the solar system. The rest is all the sun.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I remember being taught in Astronomy that Jupiter was a star that failed.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yup. If you were to combine all of the planets and every object from the Oort cloud and asteroid belt they only make up like 1% of the total mass of the solar system. The rest is all the sun.
Not even 1%, the sun is ~99.8% of all the mass in the solar system.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Not even 1%, the sun is ~99.8% of all the mass in the solar system.
Numbers like that, statistics like that just blow my mind, they bend it into a pretzel.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis