Wattage of AV receivers

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Thanks for your 2¢!

Still, there is the question of what power ratings should a shopper pay use when comparing different amps or receivers? Most or all AVRs sold in the US publish a list of different power ratings in their owner's manuals. At first look it can be bewildering because of all the different power ratings. I focus only on a power rating that includes words indicating that 2 channels are driven, a frequency range (20 to 20 kHz), a load of 8 ohms, and a defined level of total harmonic distortion (such as 0.08% THD). This rating may include the initials FTC in it. To compare the power of different AVRs or amps, I'd use only those ratings. I'd ignore any other rating type, such as DIN, when 1 channel is driven, when testing only at 1 kHz, or when THD levels higher than 0.1% are mentioned.

I'd also look only in the manufacturer's owner's manual for those specs. Other sources may mistakenly or intentionally get some part of these ratings wrong.
U are correct... Look for the 2 channels driven into 8 Ohms, 20Hz-20khz, @%THD...
The quality audio brands for the most part make their disclosure this way but we still have the other BS brands that quote some highly inflated power output such as.....

3KW for $147....
I wonder how they got that spec... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Or maybe they have some new break-through technology..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

3KW for $147....
I wonder how they got that spec... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Or maybe they have some new break-through technology..
It must have been a typo… :rolleyes:

It was either 3W for $147
or
3KW for 147K$

You mean Pyle is not a quality audio brand?

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic

or
3KW for 147K$
I doubt it is a typo. It was specs like that that made them change the rules in the 70s....200w car amps that were lucky to be 4wpc.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

or
3KW for 147K$

You mean Pyle is not a quality audio brand?
Pyle used to be a quality brand when owned by Harman, now owned by a NY seller promoting low-end stuff..

Just my $0.02... ;)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder how some of these AV receivers would handle multiple 4 ohm speakers? Just curious.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Gotcha, thought you meant you could do such in that dreaded multich stereo mode without shutdown :)
The point is that just because it is MCH Stereo or 11CH Stereo does not mean that all channels will output significant amount of power. The RX-A3080 AVR and MX-A5200 11CH amp are not going to output full power ACD in 11CH Stereo mode even if your speakers are set to Large.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The point is that just because it is MCH Stereo or 11CH Stereo does not mean that all channels will output significant amount of power. The RX-A3080 AVR and MX-A5200 11CH amp are not going to output full power ACD in 11CH Stereo mode even if your speakers are set to Large.
MCH stereo and 11ch stereo sound like the same thing depending on how many speakers you have? Only two channels of equal strength (aside from the summed center) involved so....

Yeah, at full power they're going to shut down on ya!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis