Watt formula is possible to convert kgs or power consumption to watts rms?

M

mp3streetparty

Audioholic Intern
I hate all the inflated ratings when you are tiring to match amps and speakers and trying to advise a stranger getting value for money.

Some of my thoughts here.

I got done by IEC ratings bought a sony 5.1 receiver specs said 100 watt/channel but
weight 8.8 kg = about 20 watts/channel = 230 watt power consumption.
The thing is I did not look at all of the figures but I knew I got done when the fe-mail handed my box with the amp.

On PMPO output.
Rants - PMPO

On this writeup the amount of power the cap can discharge in a short-circuit current. The amplifier does not have to survive this test LOL.
Or divide the output by your grandmothers age.
Amplifier Power Ratings

Another example is a 900 watt speaker and bi-amp shipping weight 16kgs.
My NAD receiver weighs more than that it and its 425 watts total output that does not include the cabinet and drivers. They do tell that it has a t 2 amp fuse at 230 volt so from that I deduce a 297 watt class b amp??

Another purchase a NAD 5.1 receiver when the fe-mail handed me the box I was in luck.
weight 18.8 kg = about 85 watt/channel = 480 watts power consumption.

So I was wondering if we could come up with a formulator ratio for a rule of thumb to bring things back in the real world eg draw a line A to B..

1. kgs to watts rms for various stereo amps, receivers, powered subs and DJ equipment.

2. Power consumption on power cord to in watts or amps to watts rms.

3. Fuse rating to watts rms.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So I was wondering if we could come up with a formulator ratio for a rule of thumb to bring things back in the real world eg draw a line A to B..

1. kgs to watts rms for various stereo amps, receivers, powered subs and DJ equipment.

Unfortunately this isn't feasible due to the different classes of amplifier. You can't judge this

Crown XLS1000 DriveCore Series Power Amp

Next to this:

UPA-200

With simple things like weight alone.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
There are class differences.
Then there are tech differences (ways to do more with less)
Then there's active cooling vs passive cooling (active is lighter)
Then there's materials (aluminum or steel heatsinks? Steel or plastic cases?)
Then there's wattage-vs-resistance, and issues of RMS vs peak.

For the most extreme example I can think of: the largest of the Peavy IPX amps is 7lbs.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I hate all the inflated ratings when you are tiring to match amps and speakers and trying to advise a stranger getting value for money.

I got done by IEC ratings bought a sony 5.1 receiver specs said 100 watt/channel but
The thing is I did not look at all of the figures but I knew I got done when the fe-mail handed my box with the amp.

On PMPO output.
Rants - PMPO

On this writeup the amount of power the cap can discharge in a short-circuit current. The amplifier does not have to survive this test LOL.
Amplifier Power Ratings

My NAD receiver weighs more than that it and its 425 watts total output that does not include the cabinet and drivers. They do tell that it has a t 2 amp fuse at 230 volt so from that I deduce a 297 watt class b amp??

Another purchase a NAD 5.1 receiver when the fe-mail handed me the box I was in luck.

Well, you can calculate but it has no meaning, just useless numbers.;):D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
How would my vintage tube gear fit into this equation?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

On PMPO output.
Rants - PMPO

Amplifier Power Ratings

What spaced out planet did you wander in from? I have never read such utter gibberish in many a day.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
An unnamed knowledgeable forum contributer said:
What spaced out planet did you wander in from? ...
Hey, folks from other planets can be good contributors here. I've seen posts by a guy from Krypton, who owns, and post his experiences with, like a billion pairs of well rated speakers. ;)

M

mp3streetparty

Audioholic Intern
I am only looking for a rule of thumb.

Here is what I have worked out so far for consumer gear that I can get on an auction site fix and sell, I order the parts from china and wait a month at about 1/10 th of the cost.

I take total power out into 8 ohms / lbs and power consumption / lbs to see if the figures quoted are real rms power.
At the moment I only have 1 reference unit where I trust the figures so I need to lookup a few more devices.

Passlabs X350
700 watt/132 lbs = 5.3
But this is pro gear so I need a few more models to look-up and they dont specify total power consumption only IDLE.

Nad T-761 fan forced
Total Output 400 W / 31 lbs = 12.8
Power consumption 460 W/ 31 lbs =14.8

Sony STR-DE675
Total Output 550 W / 16 lbs = 34.3
Power consumption 210 W/ 16 lbs =13.1

Pioneer VSX-D711
Total Output 500 W / 22 lbs = 22.72
Power consumption 250 W/ 22 lbs =11.3

Yamaha RXV596
Total Output 550 W / 24.7 lbs = 22.6
Power consumption 310 W/ 24.7 lbs =12.5

2 ETI 480 100 W version home built with 2 transformers.
Total Output 100 W / 32 lbs = 3.125
But this has a over rated transformer so don't count this one.

So I took the average of the power consumption ratio= 12.925
For the NAD 12.925 * 31 =400.675 Watts output
For Sony 12.925 * 16 =206.72 Watts output
For Pioneer 12.925 * 22 =284 Watts output
For Yamaha 12.925 * 24.7=319 Watts output

So I need to add an offset and slope to my figures, but its near enough if the output power to weight ratio is smaller than power consumption the weight ratio you are getting a good deal with the rated figures.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
I think Jerry gave you some good insight. You just can draw many conclusions from weight.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
There are class differences.
Then there are tech differences (ways to do more with less)
Then there's active cooling vs passive cooling (active is lighter)
Then there's materials (aluminum or steel heatsinks? Steel or plastic cases?)
Then there's wattage-vs-resistance, and issues of RMS vs peak.

For the most extreme example I can think of: the largest of the Peavy IPX amps is 7lbs.
So if I am to grasp this whole perspective that the op is laying out here that last piece you describe at about 7 lbs. would in fact not produce any sound at all maybe even the opposite wow, I am going to finish with this, I had this all figured out before with kegs of beer at weight of 12 ounce solo cup x weight of 1/4 barrel less weight of empty keg divided by, aww never mind I should just stick with what I am familiar with, Good Sunday Morning Everyone.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So if I am to grasp this whole perspective that the op is laying out here that last piece you describe at about 7 lbs. would in fact not produce any sound at all maybe even the opposite wow, I am going to finish with this, I had this all figured out before with kegs of beer at weight of 12 ounce solo cup x weight of 1/4 barrel less weight of empty keg divided by, aww never mind I should just stick with what I am familiar with, Good Sunday Morning Everyone.
And he won't be touching Sunfire, Bryston, Arcam, etc.etc., as they would seem less powerful than Emo's. Manufacturer should go back to steel instead of Al for heat sinks and plastic for anything, lower grade/cheaper power transformers that need more steel, and add some steel reinforcement all around instead of more modern intelligent design, etc etc so they can sell more base on weight.:D:D

Oh, cars should go back to body on frame and get rid of any Al and replace with steel, lead if found not harmful to health again.. NAD will be winning awards for staying backward in tech..

M

mp3streetparty

Audioholic Intern
Oh dear too much homework.

All I really need is the peak to peak voltage on the rated load and I will do the rest, a pic of the output on a CRO would do if I could see the dials and maybe a little background illumination to see the grid.

I will have to order my text books again after 25 years and look up a few things.

I will think about the different types of amps, of coarse one size cant fit all it depends greatly of the frequency of the power supply and the class of Amplifier.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I am only looking for a rule of thumb.
To have any hope of one; you'll need several.

First, separate by power-efficiency (inefficiency = heat = cooling = weight).

Class D (lighter than) Class H (lighter than) Class B (lighter than) Class A ... all else being equal (which it rarely is).

Active cooling (lighter) vs passive cooling (heavier)

It's gonna get really messy with mixed-class amps (Class AB). A 200w AB that is class A to 50w is likely to outweigh a 200w AB amp that is class A to 25w.

Then there's the issue of building materials. Copper (heavy) is a better heat sink than Aluminum (light) is a better heat sink than steel (heavy). I've seen all three used. The more inefficient the class, the more this will matter.

And for that matter the casing material. A Peavy IPX is lightweight plastic. A Yamaha PS is metal. No difference in performance based on the material of the face-plate; but a difference in weight.

So since a 7lb peavy IPX will outperform (by a lot) a 40lb Pioneer consumer amp; what rule of thumb would you like to use?

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Bottom line, there is no rule of thumb when it comes to weight vs power.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis