Watched my first 3-D demo yesterday...and it blows

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was at Sears today and they had a Panasonic Plasmsa with 3D playing through a Samsung Home Theater system. So I through the glasses on my face over my regular glasses turned them in and watched the demo DVD play. Yeah ok it was 3D. Big deal. I had to hold the glasses on my face as they kept falling off ( a real ergonomic feature :rolleyes: ) and the display itself looked fuzzy when watching 2-D. I think the fuzziness was either a calibration problem or just a poor set-up to begin with. The greatest annoyance were the glasses. I watched the demo DVD which lasted 15 minutes and I thought alot of the scenes looked gimmicky and artificial. I felt dizzy afterwards and kind of nauseous. Will I recoomend 3D to any of my friends or colleagues? Definately not. This demo just reaffirmed by long held believes that the current technology is hoaky at best. Not until holographic displays are perfect will it ever be 3D.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
3D as a whole may be gimmicky but in theaters, I really felt like it added true sense of depth to the visuals in Avatar. That movie's probably the only real reason 3D blasted off out of nowhere.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
3D as a whole may be gimmicky but in theaters, I really felt like it added true sense of depth to the visuals in Avatar. That movie's probably the only real reason 3D blasted off out of nowhere.

Agreed ;) I wonder how long the fad will last.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I was at Sears today and they had a Panasonic Plasmsa with 3D playing through a Samsung Home Theater system. So I through the glasses on my face over my regular glasses turned them in and watched the demo DVD play. Yeah ok it was 3D. Big deal. I had to hold the glasses on my face as they kept falling off ( a real ergonomic feature :rolleyes: ) and the display itself looked fuzzy when watching 2-D. I think the fuzziness was either a calibration problem or just a poor set-up to begin with. The greatest annoyance were the glasses. I watched the demo DVD which lasted 15 minutes and I thought alot of the scenes looked gimmicky and artificial. I felt dizzy afterwards and kind of nauseous. Will I recoomend 3D to any of my friends or colleagues? Definately not. This demo just reaffirmed by long held believes that the current technology is hoaky at best. Not until holographic displays are perfect will it ever be 3D.
I felt dizzy and nauseous after watching Avitar in 3d at the movie theater. I also felt eye fatigue.

I don't know if this is because of the particular technology used for the movie and glasses. I don't think they were active shutter glasses because I did not see the battery location.

Any way, I just got a HP pc with a 1080p 17" screen and it came with 3d and 3d shutter glasses. The demo looks good but I don't know if I will be able to watch this technology for two hours without side effects.

The problem is I haven't found a 3d move (in active shutter glass format) that I wanted to watch. A lot of movies are in different 3d formats (i.e. Caroline with red and blue lenses, etc.). You have to research reviews or go look at the package in the stores to be sure it is the right format, before you buy something on the internet for example.

Also the 1080 screen and this HP pc is excellet quality for watching blu ray movies and is very clear in focus.

I believe Disney 3d movies are in the new active shutter glasses format. My kids are grown up so we don't buy many Disney movies anymore. I am thinking of getting "Despeciable Me" just to test out the 3d effect for a couple of hours and see if active shutter technology works for me.

I bought the PC because of its high end components,specifications and speed, so I won't feel buyer's remorse if the active shutter glasses 3d doesn't work for me. In fact buying a high end pc is a cheaper way to check out the 3d shutter technoloy than buying a high end TV, blu ray player, mutiple sets of shutter glasses (and I saw somewhere that you also may need a "3d" receiver-I don't know about that). Also the HP pc comes with a very good audio system that sounds great with my headphones.

If I just starting out and I was thinking of buying a system for 3d, I would research the movies available first, because spending the money to upgrade to 3d could be disappointing if there are not enought movies available that you want to watch.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Having to wear special glasses to enjoy TV is kinda like having to wear a condom during sex.

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
Couldn't agree more. I was in Costco a week ago watching their Sony display and it was pretty lame. The effects were subtle and the glasses were horrendously annoying. I couldn't imagine wanting to wear those during an NFL game for the small perceived gain in depth. Doesn't make any sense.

Now for the at the movie theater, I like it if done right, but I think the enormity of the commercial screen goes a long way to making subtle depth believable and not an annoying gimmick.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I would love a solid 3d display for movies like Avatar, but not for normal viewing.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Now for the at the movie theater, I like it if done right, but I think the enormity of the commercial screen goes a long way to making subtle depth believable and not an annoying gimmick.
Indeed. If/when I do make a switch to 3d as it is now, it would have to be a projector and 120" AT screen or something and stadium seating.

Not a bunch of couches where people don't even sit but lie down and a plasma

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Spending all that money for 3D is pretty stupid.

But hey, I think watching a movie with blue people is just as stupid.:eek:

B

Bigggdaddy72

Audiophyte
I could'nt agree with you more.I have seen demos at best buy,and they look really good.It is probably the setup,and a demo disc probably dose'nt show 3d's real power.The glasses i used fit fine.I would'nt judge 3d on one bad demo experience.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I've yet to really experience a 3D TV myself. The whole glasses thing just kind of kills it for me. If a movie was made to be seen in 3D then I'll watch it in 3D at the theaters but I haven't got much interest in it for home viewing right now. Curious to see what it looks like but I am not in much of a hurry.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You want tires, tools or appliances, go to Sears. If you want to see TV calibrated correctly, not so much.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You want tires, tools or appliances, go to Sears. If you want to see TV calibrated correctly, not so much.
You're missing the whole point of the thread ;) Its not about the calibration. Its about the whole gimmick of 3D as its now implemented with ergonomically designed disaster of glassed need to watch 3D and the feeling of nausea that comes from watching this.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i saw avatar 3d at the theater. i liked it. some scenes looked cheezy, others looked awesome. i had no 'issues" watching it. but i did notice that the screen size looked smaller through the glass's. and i also felt that i was looking down a tube with the screen at the end.

i have seen demo's at BB. and i thought them to be pretty cool. again, some cheezy, and some awesome. no issues with the glass's at all.

now, comparing what i have been seeing (2d) at the theaters lately. and what i have here at home. a 120"+ screen and 3d is going to be AWESOME.
but i am plenty happy with what i have, so no upgrading for a while. and letting the technology advance will be a good thing for me before i buy.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I hope it disappears fast. It is terrible "technology." It is always frustrating when I end up at a theater and they don't have a normal showing for a movie that I want to see.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... is kinda like having to wear a condom during sex.
Well, that depends. ;):D

Oh, I would think for now at least, 3D is for some of the new movies, not TV sports, etc.:)

B

bhuskins

Audioholic Intern
3d has a long way to go before I'll waste money on it or recommend it to friends

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis