Watch OLED TVs for Better Sleep?

How Do you Feel About LG Sleep Study on OLED?

• Very Interesting and less Blue light emissions for better sleep makes sense.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Nonsensical study done by LG to sell more OLED TVs

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Bed should be used for 2 things, TV watching isn't one of them.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
A new study from LG Display and South Korea’s Kookmin University finds that watching an OLED TV leads to better sleep compared to LCD TVs with LED backlighting. While LED technology emits enough blue light to inhibit sleep, OLED TVs might actually improve sleep quality. .

According to LG Display, modern LCD panels emit 70-80% blue light, owing to their continuous reliance on strong backlighting, provided by LEDs. LG Display's self-emissive OLED TV panels emit just 36% blue light, according to the report.

"In addition to minimizing the negative impact on melatonin secretion during viewing time, OLED TVs have been shown to be effective in maintaining viewers’ healthy sleep patterns through greater activation of their parasympathetic nerves, which are responsible for feelings of comfort."
— Professor Kim Chang-wook, Research Team Leader from Kookmin University

Should we all buy OLEDs and binge Netflix before bed? Or is this just a self-funded study biased by LG to sell more OLEDs?

LG-sleep.jpg

Read: OLED TV's to Better Sleep?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While I do feel this is clearly marketing, this also is discussed at length about how blue light is terrible for sleep habits. So, I can see how if someone is a person that watches TV up to bedtime, and even in bed, that OLED may be less of an impediment to sleeping.

Yes, turning off the TV 30 minutes or more before bed and not having it on in the bedroom makes a lot of sense, but I do think that if someone is watching a TV, then there is solid reasoning here, if not cast in a marketing sort of way.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have an iPhone 14 pro max, which has an OLED screen too. I guess looking at my phone screen before sleep is good now? Or it only apply for specifically LG TVs? :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not going to replace my LCD TVs based on this study. But maybe future purchases?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The professor is from a South Korean university. Who says he isn't paid by LG? As we already know, some people will do anything for money.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The professor is from a South Korean university. Who says he isn't paid by LG? As we already know, some people will do anything for money.
It’s a “report” concocted by the LG marketing department and not a peer reviewed article published in a respectable journal. ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is true that blue light is a problem for sleep. It sounds like they took two different things and made an inference though. OLEDS emit less blue light. Backlit LCDs emit more, therefore it must be better for sleep. The study was not actually done to prove that it does.

Phones have had time based blue light reduction for years. Why do TVs not?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis