Warp's Build Thread...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
What are your thoughts on the B&W Nautilus 804s? The Monkey and I listened to some the other day and I was highly impressed, even more so then I was with the Sigs. They were in very different rooms so that may have been the difference.
Warp, one alternative is to buy used. Search for the B&W 801 Matrix Series II or Series III. These nearly match the performance of today's 802D/801D. Pricing for excellent condition is usually around $3500-$5000 in auctions. You can also find the 802N for around $5000. It is very similar to the 802D. The only difference is the tweeter; the D has a diamond tweeter and the N has a metal alloy tweeter. The D has a little bit flatter response.

Either one will work superbly with a Behringer DCX2496 to achieve nearly any sound signature that you so desire, as the upper end B&W units referenced by me in this thread have absolute inaudible cabinets and a very linear overall response.

-Chris

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't heard them for quite some time, I would really have to listen to them again... I will state that It was probably the room and placement with all the rest of the line right there as well, but with that said, I can't say that they impressed me more then the Sigs with the Be tweeter or the Salk HT2's ribbbon for that matter. They tended to be a little laid back to me... again I would have to go back and listen to them again.

In my situation, one also has to look at the other speakers available in the line for a HT setup, and I truly didn't care for the 805S at all... I guess it would be more important if they would be used for mains, but they would only be surrounds, and there is absolutely no way I could make any of those B&W center channels work for me.... Most B&W's sound to me don't seem to justify their price IMO.

I am somewhat in a position of compromise with my setup and layout as stated, but that wouldn't make me feel unhappy with a pair of Sigs....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It's complex for sure. Constraint layering paired with a dense bracing matrix and dampening. I don't know if I'll ever complete my project for this.
If you want a stiffer box, why not add a second layer of MDF or whatever material to the outside? You could also build a box on the outside that leaves space inside so you can fill it with sand. If you want dead, that will be dead. Not hard to do, either.

highfigh

highfigh

I haven't heard them for quite some time, I would really have to listen to them again... I will state that It was probably the room and placement with all the rest of the line right there as well, but with that said, I can't say that they impressed me more then the Sigs with the Be tweeter or the Salk HT2's ribbbon for that matter. They tended to be a little laid back to me... again I would have to go back and listen to them again.

In my situation, one also has to look at the other speakers available in the line for a HT setup, and I truly didn't care for the 805S at all... I guess it would be more important if they would be used for mains, but they would only be surrounds, and there is absolutely no way I could make any of those B&W center channels work for me.... Most B&W's sound to me don't seem to justify their price IMO.

I am somewhat in a position of compromise with my setup and layout as stated, but that wouldn't make me feel unhappy with a pair of Sigs....
Do you work at Flanner's?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Do you work at Flanner's?
No, although I have auditioned the Monitor Audio's PL300's there though, they were impressive, and very sexy might I add - but I had my reserves on them concerning SQ... The ribbons were extremely nice but somewhat beaming in nature... the room is probably cause being one of the worst I have ever auditioned speakers in... as you know powered by McIntosh Gear... seriously - the sound of the PL300's pretty much overcame the poor acoustics of the room.. they really were that good - to me..... and obviously left an impression on me.

But the next audition after that was the Salk HT2's TL.... Now that to me was what a full range speaker should consist of. I had to get up and check to see his Ultra13 wasn't on.... and mid's were spectacular plus a tweeter to die for - excellent dispersion....

highfigh

highfigh

No, although I have auditioned the Monitor Audio's PL300's there though, they were impressive, and very sexy might I add - but I had my reserves on them concerning SQ... The ribbons were extremely nice but somewhat beaming in nature... the room is probably cause being one of the worst I have ever auditioned speakers in... as you know powered by McIntosh Gear... seriously - the sound of the PL300's pretty much overcame the poor acoustics of the room.. they really were that good - to me..... and obviously left an impression on me.

But the next audition after that was the Salk HT2's TL.... Now that to me was what a full range speaker should consist of. I had to get up and check to see his Ultra13 wasn't on.... and mid's were spectacular plus a tweeter to die for - excellent dispersion....
I wondered because you mentioned Sig S8- I assume these are Signature Silver, right? Don't they sell these, too?

Interesting that the room is so bad. When I worked for them and they were at Mayfair, we built a little theater with a system called Frox and I installed panels in that room because of the flutter and other acoustical problems. Apparently, the improvements were completely forgotten by them or they just don't care.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
What are your thoughts on the B&W Nautilus 804s? The Monkey and I listened to some the other day and I was highly impressed, even more so then I was with the Sigs. They were in very different rooms so that may have been the difference.
It's okay. But realize, even the 802D/801D is not producing the SQ I am accustomed to. So to me, the 802D is even a compromise, and it's even harder for me to fathom going down to the 804. But, if the 804 was paired with an appropriate DSP crossover with EQ controls, and crossed to proper subs, then it would have some serious potential, at least so far as most people are concerned. It is overall a very neutral speaker, with some cabinet resonance(less than most, however). This makes it a prime candidate for DSP control to obtain the specific tonal balance(the main thing most people are hearing as differences among most decent quality monopolar speakers) that one prefers.

-Chris

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I wondered because you mentioned Sig S8- I assume these are Signature Silver, right? Don't they sell these, too?

Interesting that the room is so bad. When I worked for them and they were at Mayfair, we built a little theater with a system called Frox and I installed panels in that room because of the flutter and other acoustical problems. Apparently, the improvements were completely forgotten by them or they just don't care.
The Sig S8's are Paradigms flagship speaker.... http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference/fronts-signature-signatures8-model-2-17-1-34.paradigm
Not sure if your thinking about the Monitor Audio Silvers, which I wouldn't even consider...

Apperantly Flanners doesn't really care about speaker auditions all that much, their 2 major speaker display room are packed with about 15-20 pairs each... and glass walls - not much in the way of treatment to be seen.

Warp owns Wisconsin so I doubt that he works anywhere.....;)
Not yet, but I'm workin on it... :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
How are the cabinets on the Studio 100's?

Sorry to walk all over your thread Warp. Not like I haven't done it before....:eek:
It's okay. But realize, even the 802D/801D is not producing the SQ I am accustomed to. So to me, the 802D is even a compromise, and it's even harder for me to fathom going down to the 804. But, if the 804 was paired with an appropriate DSP crossover with EQ controls, and crossed to proper subs, then it would have some serious potential, at least so far as most people are concerned. It is overall a very neutral speaker, with some cabinet resonance(less than most, however). This makes it a prime candidate for DSP control to obtain the specific tonal balance(the main thing most people are hearing as differences among most decent quality monopolar speakers) that one prefers.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
How are the cabinets on the Studio 100's?

Sorry to walk all over your thread Warp. Not like I haven't done it before....:eek:
On the 1st version, it was actually a relatively low resonance cabinet system. Later versions seem to have slacked up (presumably for cost savings?).

In any case, it is far from my idea of the ideal monopolar speaker.

(Go used B&W 801 Series II/III Matrix! :) It's a respectable, TRUE hi-fi monopolar speaker that can be had for real-world budgets. )

-Chris

highfigh

highfigh

The Sig S8's are Paradigms flagship speaker.... http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference/fronts-signature-signatures8-model-2-17-1-34.paradigm
Not sure if your thinking about the Monitor Audio Silvers, which I wouldn't even consider...

Apperantly Flanners doesn't really care about speaker auditions all that much, their 2 major speaker display room are packed with about 15-20 pairs each... and glass walls - not much in the way of treatment to be seen.

Not yet, but I'm workin on it... :)
The Monitor are the ones I thought you referred to and I couldn't understand why anyone would say these things about them. One of my customers went there and bought a pair on impulse and isn't that geeked on them. Definitely not the speaker for that room and I wasn't impressed at all. I think my 6-1/2" two-ways would have sounded better.

I haven't been out there in quite a while but I thought the last store was better, even if it isn't the way I would design a store for this use.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis