Warm 2.1 Sound / Detailed 5.1

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I'm hoping to figure out the best of both worlds in one setup as I don't have the means to create a 2.1 music system and a separate 5.1 ht system. I like a warm sound for music, but gather having something detailed and bright is ideal for movies.

Would it make sense to have a warm sounding speaker for left and right along with something detailed/bright for the center and surrounds? I feel a ported sub is going to be the right choice all around.

I'm thinking I should go ID for the speakers to get maximum value- I'm intrigued by the usual suspects: SVS, HSU, RSL, Ascend. Ideally I'd like to keep the total spend under 2.5k, allocating roughly 1k for the sub. Room is pretty small at about 1750sq ft. If I'm going beyond necessary spending I'd love to hear so.

You're collective wisdom is greatly appreciated;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What is your avr? One easy thing to do(that works for me sometimes ) is to use Audyssey DynamicEq for music, and NOT for movies. I like a little warmth with my clarity in music, but I hate when someone shuts a door in a film and it’s like a nuke going off. I like ported also.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Haven't made the choice on an AVR. Having a HT has been a dream of mine for over 20 years, but I was always too broke until now. I'm re-educating on everything before I pull the trigger on anything. Denon definitely intrigues me for that exact feature. I'm not sure I want to go beyond a grand for the AVR.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Haven't made the choice on an AVR. Having a HT has been a dream of mine for over 20 years, but I was always too broke until now. I'm re-educating on everything before I pull the trigger on anything. Denon definitely intrigues me for that exact feature. I'm not sure I want to go beyond a grand for the AVR.
Hey as much knowledge as you can!
And you wouldn’t have to go that high on an avr. Lots of us have had great success with Accessories for less. https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html
If your not afraid of a refurb. Your room is pretty small. I might look at the cg5(coming soon) from rsl and a pair of speedwoofers, or look at their new larger ones, available later this year.
Also, SVS has an excellent trial policy with free shipping both ways.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Definitely taking a good look at the offerings from RSL. The idea of being able to pick up 2 speedwoofers is really appealing from a dispersion standpoint. Also, I wonder if the front porting would enable me to essentially put the LCR up against the wall due to relatively limited in room depth, as well as WAF. One concern for me is the low end capabilities of even the CG23's.

On another note, I'm kind of interested in the 12" Monolith. The measurements on it look pretty fantastic.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Holy smokes on that website btw :)
I guess you mean the link to A4L? Yes indeed! They have some killer deals on KEF’s too.
Yeah, the monolith line in general is getting some love. Definitely worth a look.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I'm hoping to figure out the best of both worlds in one setup as I don't have the means to create a 2.1 music system and a separate 5.1 ht system. I like a warm sound for music, but gather having something detailed and bright is ideal for movies.

Would it make sense to have a warm sounding speaker for left and right along with something detailed/bright for the center and surrounds?
Bad idea. The LCR should be 'voice matched', so try and keep those 3 from the same manufacturer and product line. The surrounds can be different.

Definitely taking a good look at the offerings from RSL.
Good idea. RSL makes some very nice products. This is a solid option.

Also, I wonder if the front porting would enable me to essentially put the LCR up against the wall due to relatively limited in room depth, as well as WAF.
Bad idea. Speakers need room to breath, so unless there's no option (WAF?) you should place them with at least some distance away from the walls (side and back).

On another note, I'm kind of interested in the 12" Monolith. The measurements on it look pretty fantastic.
You mean the ones posted by the manufacturer, the people trying to sell you product? They would never embellish, would they? ;) There's very little objective data on the Monolith subwoofers at the moment, so it's difficult to tell what they can/can't do. They've been out for a while though so there should be some info on them soon.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Thanks to everyone so far. I really appreciate all the input. I'm hoping to get some feedback on room correction. Any opinions on offerings from different brands. I'm definitely going to buy from A4L... The extended warranties seem to come at a great price. While I really like the price of the AVR-S720, I wonder if the 920 will make a big difference with the added power given my room is pretty small. Also, I'm curious about stepping up to the AVR-X2300W to get the MultiEQ XT (not too worried about the HEOS as I have two sound bars and Sonos speakers as well)

Thoughts on pairing a PB1000 with RSL bookshelf's? The $100 savings per pair would make the upgrade to MultiEQ XT sensible, but the low end extension of the Prime Bookshelfs makes me think they might handle the midbass a little better once I fill out the rest of the speakers.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s smart to look at subwoofers first but for the best advice everyone will want to know the dimensions of the room (include ceiling height) and if it is open to other rooms or is closed off. The sub will see all the space. Or just do the math and give us the cubic feet. Besides HSU and SVS, you should also look at Rythmik and PSA.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
The room is just about 1400ft³- 15¾Dx11¾Wx7.5H. I included a pic of the ceiling, which makes me wonder about possible challenges with wave patterns.

The bed will be replaced with a sleeper sofa, placed 2ft off the back wall, and the LCR will be 1ft to 2ft off the front wall, so anywhere from 10ft to 12ft for the listening position. I'm thinking front left corner as there's the backside of my chimney and I feel like the brick might benefit that sub. Eventually I'll add a second sub (along with the surrounds)- I guess I'm shooting for 5.2:). I've thought about the Ultra surrounds to allow me to go straight to 7.2.

Dudes... I've been researching long enough that my head spins and I go back and forth damn near minute by minute, hour by hour:p

Thankfully I don't have tattoos so I can keep my urge to spend ridiculous amounts of my discretionary income, haha!

Attachments

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would choose Rythmik L12R everyday over the SVS PB1000. I have the LVX12 in 2600 cubic feet and it is more than I need. But overkill is a good thing. Also you might want to look at HSU VTF2 but speak with a member that has one. Good luck!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@NorCalRP I'd say your room is a bit small for a 7ch setup. I'd also consider the Denon 3300 for the better XT32/SubEQ for two sub setup. Also for inclusion of pre-outs, for future considerations at least (to give you amplification choices).

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I went the SVS route... the customer bill of rights was too much to pass up. I also ordered the avr-x2300w. For the time I'll just be running 2.1. My next step after that is to step up to 5.1, then 5.2 thereafter. If different room correction is vital at that point, I'm going to have to figure it out at that point.

I wish I could have gone balls to the wall right out the gate, but I'd like to actually keep them intact- my lady is Sicilian:eek:

Any thoughts on a wireless kit for the sub? Once it moves into the theater room I won't need it, but to begin I'll have the system set up just for music in the living room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis