Want Audio through dig coax NOT HDMI

D

Dmann

Audiophyte
I have a Pioneer 79Avi DVD player with a Yamaha RXV2600 receiver. I've got HDMI connected from DVD to Receiver and have set the audio to be processed via digital coax output.

However when I play DVDs and CDs HDMI is providing the sound. I want my sound to be processed through digital coax connection. I see the HDMI light on on both components. And when I switch on my receiver it indicates the sound is dig coax but when the DVD is switched on I see the display say HDMI 1080i etc etc.

I verify (I think) this by unplugging my HDMI while the cd is playing and there is a short pause then the sound continues and the HDMI inidcators on the DVD plyr and Rec turn off.

I also checked all the menus on my DVD and can't see anything that would change this. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post

Sharp Aquos LC45GD7U
Axiom M22ti, QS8, EP175, VP100
Yamaha RX -V2600
Pioneer DV -79Avi

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You can select somewhere in the setup about the HDMI audio properties, but I'm not sure if it will solve what you are looking for. Just out of curiosity, how come you don't want the audio via HDMI?

D

Dmann

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input GlocksRock. I want HDMI to only process video and have the coax output handle all audio. The place where I bought the stuff suggested this..I thought just to sell me some cables but he didn't charge me for the digital coax cable. Anyway...I don't notice a difference either way.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Might as well just let the HDMI carry the audio since it was designed for that, no reason to add more cables if they aren't needed. Both are an all digital connection and will sound just the same... just keep it simple and stay with the HDMI.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Dmann said:
Thanks for the input GlocksRock. I want HDMI to only process video and have the coax output handle all audio. The place where I bought the stuff suggested this..I thought just to sell me some cables but he didn't charge me for the digital coax cable. Anyway...I don't notice a difference either way.

Perhaps that light only indicates video output?
Disconnect the digital coax and see if you still have audio, unless the player auto detects?

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
GlocksRock said:
Might as well just let the HDMI carry the audio since it was designed for that, no reason to add more cables if they aren't needed. Both are an all digital connection and will sound just the same... just keep it simple and stay with the HDMI.
I agree completley

D

Dmann

Audiophyte
I think it does auto detect. When I pull the coax out I don't get any music. Am I just being paranoid? The fact that I see the display on the DVD player say 1080i hdmi...and the hdmi lights come on on both the rec an DVD..doesn't that mean audio is comming from hdmi? Or simply put...if there is no sound when I unplug the coax...then it is being output through there...anyway..thanks very much for responding...I'll figure it out somehow.

JVC

JVC

Banned
If you really want the audio to come through the digital coax, the easiest way is to run your HDMI from the dvd player, straight to the tv, for video, and the digital coax to the receiver, for the audio.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Dmann said:
I think it does auto detect. When I pull the coax out I don't get any music. Am I just being paranoid? The fact that I see the display on the DVD player say 1080i hdmi...and the hdmi lights come on on both the rec an DVD..doesn't that mean audio is comming from hdmi? Or simply put...if there is no sound when I unplug the coax...then it is being output through there...anyway..thanks very much for responding...I'll figure it out somehow.

If it auto detected the audio as well, not just the video it would have continued outputting the audio. Since it didn't, audio is not auto detection but by setting in the menu and you are getting the audio through the digital coax.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis