Wanna hear real world BT music casting opinions

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Appreciate the response, but it seems you didn't read anything from what has already been discussed. all the things you recommended are already done. Have been for years on my end. I think we got it squared away!
I read most of this, but didn't wade through the whole thing. I missed the one line that shows you're connected via ethernet but didn't see anything about hard reset or firmware although updating firmware with a bad app is like putting lipstick on a pig.

What about controlling it via IP in your browser? Does that work?

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
I read most of this, but didn't wade through the whole thing. I missed the one line that shows you're connected via ethernet but didn't see anything about hard reset or firmware although updating firmware with a bad app is like putting lipstick on a pig.

What about controlling it via IP in your browser? Does that work?
You're missing the issue. as I stated in an earlier reply, the issue was found to be on the Pandora end which they have now resolved. A factory reset wasn't going to fix this nor was there a firmware update to do. Pandora's app stopped working with Denon over this past weekend

IP control does work, but its the same thing as the Denon remote app I already use on my phone. Its literally the same thing. Its the pre loaded Pandora app that comes on Denon AVRs that had the issue. Using IP control doesn't change nor would've fixed this issue. Even when doing IP based control it still brings up the Pandora app that was not working.

Also, I don't use BT. I have since Saturday when the preloaded Pandora app that comes on the Denon receiver stopped working. But as I stated, I hate BT, sound quality sucks with BT and its glitchy. which is why I wanted the app on the Denon receiver to work which ag8ian, they have fixed.

highfigh

highfigh

You're missing the issue. as I stated in an earlier reply, the issue was found to be on the Pandora end which they have now resolved. A factory reset wasn't going to fix this nor was there a firmware update to do. Pandora's app stopped working with Denon over this past weekend

IP control does work, but its the same thing as the Denon remote app I already use on my phone. Its literally the same thing. Its the pre loaded Pandora app that comes on Denon AVRs that had the issue. Using IP control doesn't change nor would've fixed this issue. Even when doing IP based control it still brings up the Pandora app that was not working.

Also, I don't use BT. I have since Saturday when the preloaded Pandora app that comes on the Denon receiver stopped working. But as I stated, I hate BT, sound quality sucks with BT and its glitchy. which is why I wanted the app on the Denon receiver to work which ag8ian, they have fixed.
I was addressing "I use the Denon remote app which is God awful (Go read reviews). It drops often, locks up, looses connection, etc." from your original post and Pandora has had several outages using Denon AVRs over more than ten years. I saw that as a priority over Pandora and your original question was about BT, which says NOTHING about Pandora, it more likely says that maybe WiFi is causing some kind of problem. BTW, in the past, firmware updates on the Denon end DID break Pandora and only a Denon update fixed it although some outages were caused by Pandora.

Try using a good BT receiver if you think it sounds bad or is glitchy- they actually exist. I tried using a $299 Musical Fidelity BT receiver and that piece of crap lost the signal after I was about 25' away, through open doors and vinyl siding. The Miccus never dropped out, even though my brick house was between me and the receiver. I compared the Musical Fidelity with AirPlay and it sounded terrible. Like you, I thought BT was complete crap until I tried the Miccus after looking into the updated versions and that changed my mind.

BT wouldn't help with the Denon & Pandora so I don't know why you even mentioned it but at least they fixed it quickly- in the past, it took longer.

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
I was addressing "I use the Denon remote app which is God awful (Go read reviews). It drops often, locks up, looses connection, etc." from your original post and Pandora has had several outages using Denon AVRs over more than ten years. I saw that as a priority over Pandora and your original question was about BT, which says NOTHING about Pandora, it more likely says that maybe WiFi is causing some kind of problem. BTW, in the past, firmware updates on the Denon end DID break Pandora and only a Denon update fixed it although some outages were caused by Pandora.

Try using a good BT receiver if you think it sounds bad or is glitchy- they actually exist. I tried using a $299 Musical Fidelity BT receiver and that piece of crap lost the signal after I was about 25' away, through open doors and vinyl siding. The Miccus never dropped out, even though my brick house was between me and the receiver. I compared the Musical Fidelity with AirPlay and it sounded terrible. Like you, I thought BT was complete crap until I tried the Miccus after looking into the updated versions and that changed my mind.

BT wouldn't help with the Denon & Pandora so I don't know why you even mentioned it but at least they fixed it quickly- in the past, it took longer.
I get what you're saying. In this instance, BT did help. Since the Pandora app within the Denon menu wasn't working, I had to use the Denon remote app to control volume basically, but I had to select BT on the Denon remote app as my source, then bring up the Pandora app separately then BT it to the Denon avr. Normally, I'd just use Pandora within Denon (if that makes sense). The Denon app isn't great. But having to BT the Pandora separate app to the Denon avr was worse than just using the Denon app.

To your point, I'm shocked they resolved it as quick as they did

highfigh

highfigh

I get what you're saying. In this instance, BT did help. Since the Pandora app within the Denon menu wasn't working, I had to use the Denon remote app to control volume basically, but I had to select BT on the Denon remote app as my source, then bring up the Pandora app separately then BT it to the Denon avr. Normally, I'd just use Pandora within Denon (if that makes sense). The Denon app isn't great. But having to BT the Pandora separate app to the Denon avr was worse than just using the Denon app.

To your point, I'm shocked they resolved it as quick as they did
What phone do you use? You might be able to stream from that via WiFi.

highfigh

highfigh

And AirPlay doesn't work? Given the choice, I would use that over BT unless the WiFi range isn't great and in that case, the Miccus is what I would use.

When I installed it in a school gym with full size basketball court, I was only hopeful that it would cover that much distance, but I walked the whole court in a wide zig zag without any dropouts, then went outside. It finally had a few hiccups when I was out there, but at that point, the signal was trying to pass through four concrete block walls at an angle- inside, it has to pass through two.

I use three BT receivers- one in my garage (Logitech- it's just OK), one in my van (plugs into the cigarette lighter and transmits via FM to the radio and another in my boat (Fusion Marine) and none of them work outside of roughly 25 feet but the range with that $50 Miccus piece absolutely blew me away. It announces the connection and I didn't see anything in the instructions, so I called the company and someone actually answered quickly.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The built in Pandora app does have issues on other platforms as well. My Onkyo receivers all have a Pandora app built in and I occasionally have to sign out of Pandora and back in on any given receiver because Pandora just doesn't want to work at times. Like the Denon app, the Onkyo controller app can work the receiver functions and Source selections.

Airplay 2 from an iPhone works well and Airplay 2 works with multiple receivers and Zones. But, the Airplay device must keep the streaming app ON and in the range of the network to which the receiver is connected. If a receiver has a built in Pandora app, there really is no good reason not to use it.
IMG_4772.jpeg

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
The built in Pandora app does have issues on other platforms as well. My Onkyo receivers all have a Pandora app built in and I occasionally have to sign out of Pandora and back in on any given receiver because Pandora just doesn't want to work at times. Like the Denon app, the Onkyo controller app can work the receiver functions and Source selections.

Airplay 2 from an iPhone works well and Airplay 2 works with multiple receivers and Zones. But, the Airplay device must keep the streaming app ON and in the range of the network to which the receiver is connected. If a receiver has a built in Pandora app, there really is no good reason not to use it.
View attachment 68037
I agree, which is why I was frustrated when the built in Pandora app wasn't working this past weekend. I did also use Airplay while the Pandora app was down. But it too is glitchy. When I said this AVR isn't my favorite, this is one of the issues I was speaking of. Just to give an idea of some of the issues I've had with this receiver, see below...

1) I have an HDMI port that turns to snow on the screen in the middle of a movie/ gaming. Happens a couple times a year. Not a huge deal, I can simply change the source real quick and come right back and its fine

2) This thing has a hard time staying connected. When using BT, Airplay, etc it'll stall, sound will cut out etc. and I'm not out of range. This can/ will happens while I'm in the same room. and...its not my internet connection. I have plenty of speed to my house. we often times have 3 PS4's running at the same time. This stupid AVR messes up when I'm the only one home, and its the only thing even on

3) Years ago I'd like to connect my phone to the front USB port. Sometimes it recognizes something is plugged into it, but often times it doesn't. I have to pull the power cord, reconnect it, kick avr back on, and it'll recognize something is connected...until the next time.

4) and this is just annoying. Black paint started chipping of about a year after I bought it. I became curious about this and actually found others online who had the same complaint. Not a giant issue, just cosmetic, but definitely aggravating.

Long story short, this AVR has always been finicky. Having to use Airplay, BT to connect Pandora app to an already horrible Denon remote app wasn't great. It worked, but wasn't great. Using Pandora with the AVR is definitely the better way to go, at least for the AVR I have. All of these issues were logged with Denon, but during that time, it seemed their support had really slacked. it just seemed like every call or comms with them would get drug out to the point you give up. They are now part of Sound United which also carries the Marantz, Onkyo and Pioneer line. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing, but my next AVR won't be any of those. I had a considered a Pioneer at one time because I used to love their products. But now that they're in the same lineup as Denon, I think I'll pass

highfigh

highfigh

I agree, which is why I was frustrated when the built in Pandora app wasn't working this past weekend. I did also use Airplay while the Pandora app was down. But it too is glitchy. When I said this AVR isn't my favorite, this is one of the issues I was speaking of. Just to give an idea of some of the issues I've had with this receiver, see below...

1) I have an HDMI port that turns to snow on the screen in the middle of a movie/ gaming. Happens a couple times a year. Not a huge deal, I can simply change the source real quick and come right back and its fine

2) This thing has a hard time staying connected. When using BT, Airplay, etc it'll stall, sound will cut out etc. and I'm not out of range. This can/ will happens while I'm in the same room. and...its not my internet connection. I have plenty of speed to my house. we often times have 3 PS4's running at the same time. This stupid AVR messes up when I'm the only one home, and its the only thing even on

3) Years ago I'd like to connect my phone to the front USB port. Sometimes it recognizes something is plugged into it, but often times it doesn't. I have to pull the power cord, reconnect it, kick avr back on, and it'll recognize something is connected...until the next time.

4) and this is just annoying. Black paint started chipping of about a year after I bought it. I became curious about this and actually found others online who had the same complaint. Not a giant issue, just cosmetic, but definitely aggravating.

Long story short, this AVR has always been finicky. Having to use Airplay, BT to connect Pandora app to an already horrible Denon remote app wasn't great. It worked, but wasn't great. Using Pandora with the AVR is definitely the better way to go, at least for the AVR I have. All of these issues were logged with Denon, but during that time, it seemed their support had really slacked. it just seemed like every call or comms with them would get drug out to the point you give up. They are now part of Sound United which also carries the Marantz, Onkyo and Pioneer line. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing, but my next AVR won't be any of those. I had a considered a Pioneer at one time because I used to love their products. But now that they're in the same lineup as Denon, I think I'll pass
Customer/tech support has suffered for several years and the ownership changes are a big part of it. Denon/Marantz became part of Sound United in 2017.

Your loss of video could be caused by a cable, setting or the port(s) on the TV or AVR. It could also be caused by an EDID error, but that mainly shows up as black screen. I saw snow because of a shytty set of HDMI extenders but that ended once they were replaced.

What are you using for a router? Speed TO your house and data throughput on your network are two very different things and using three PS4s at the same time can really tax the router's capacity although freaking out when you're the only one using the network is another issue.

Do you have a lot of other smart devices, like cameras, lights, appliances, etc?

How old is the USB cable used for connecting the phone? Mine last about a year and I don't abuse them. Another thing that causes problems when using phones is dust in the charging port when the phone is kept in a pocket.

Do you ever reboot your router? Most need that, occasionally. Some, like the ATT crap I had, needed that at least weekly and one customer who used U-Verse had constant problems until I cured him of ATT and Apple AirPort garbage.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Sometimes you get a lemon. I returned a Yamaha TSR-700, the Costco twin of the RX-V6A, because it was very glitchy. Yamaha reached out to me for feedback on the new unit and actually sent me a free RX-V6A when I told them I had returned the TSR-700. That was a sweet deal.

While Denon/Marantz are currently a part of Sound United, stay tuned there, Integra/Pioneer/Onkyo are over at Voxx.
IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpeg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis