Wan to make a 3 cubic foot subwoofer sealed but want sonotubes for ttl loading and add to dox volume. Google el Pipo on Nelson pass’s site.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I have the Dayton Ultimax 15” in a 3 ft.³ sealed enclosure. I saw sealed boxes wi large llt sonotube hook to an opening that was cut for the tube This makes the box much larger because of the sonotube is so long that it adds measurable volume to the box. The two sunotube also Became a large low turned pors. Everything I am describing can seen on The Nellson pass El Pipo subwoofer. I was wondering If @shadyJ or @TLS Guy @nim.could tell me hi Lennon and 18 inch high Whitney JP June 20 and 18 Hz?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
The bow and the video is made for a 21 inch pro Àu. .?... .
I have the Dayton Ultimax 15” in a 3 ft.³ sealed enclosure. I saw sealed boxes wi large llt sonotube hook to an opening that was cut for the tube This makes the box much larger because of the sonotube is so long that it adds measurable volume to the box. The two sunotube also Became a large low turned pors. Everything I am describing can seen on The Nellson pass El Pipo subwoofer. I was wondering If @shadyJ or @TLS Guy @nim.could tell me hi Lennon and 18 inch high Whitney JP June 20 and 18 Hz?
i am intresed in th hybrid dox with sonotube attached to the box. I’m am v very disabled and this looks like this might be somtething i can do.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Lol, I take it you were using a text-to-speech program and it got garbled? As for determining the dimensions of a sonotube for a ported Ultimax in a cylinder for 18Hz tuning, I don't have WinISD installed right now, so I can't do the modeling, but it should be easy to do. All you need to do is enter the parameters to get 18Hz tuning from an Ultimax 18 in a box sub, and use the equivalent volume from a cylinder. Volume of a cylinder is easy once you determine your radius since the equation is Volume = 3.14 * (radius squared) * height. So take the recommended volume by WinISD, and divide that by the radius squared * 3.14. Sonotubes come in specific diameters, so determine the one that fits an Ultimax 18, and you have the radius. I would just use A cardboard tune or a light PVC pipe for the port tube. I would NOT attempt a sonotube attached to box subwoofer if you are not experienced with this stuff.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I understand it is a weird design. But all I wWill have to do is cut the opening on the top of my box and add the sonotube when properly jo to the box, the sonötube wilAdd a lot of volume and betterlow bass .
Goo
gopgle EL Pipo by Nelson Pass

gopgl

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I understand it is a weird design. But all I wWill have to do is cut the opening on the top of my box and add the sonotube when properly jo to the box, the sonötube wilAdd a lot of volume and betterlow bass .
Goo

gopgl
I don't see a reason to do that over a regular Sonotube enclosure. Why add a box at all? It just adds weight for no good reason.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Goo

gopgl
You said it, it's a really weird design. Do you know that for a box internal volume of 3 cf, a pipe for a tuning at 18 Hz would represent something with a total volume of around 2 cubic feet, despite the fact that several elbows in the piping might also introduce serious shuffling noise.
For all practical purposes, it's a lot more logical and simple to use a box with a net internal volume of 9-10 cf, and work from there.

I realize that you are disabled, but would it be possible for you to get a relative or a friend to simply build you a bigger cabinet?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
But all I wWill have to do is cut the opening on the top of my box and add the sonotube when properly jo to the box, the sonötube
Do you mean cut a hole on the top of your current subwoofer and sticking the tube on top of it?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Do you mean cut a hole on the top of your current subwoofer and sticking the tube on top of it?
That’s what I understood. I think he just wants to add volume to the enclosure. I haven’t googled the Nelson pass thing yet. I’m on a little vacation so I’m technically “unplugged” lol.

I have built sonosubs before and the free sonosub software makes calculations super easy. Super easy.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
If i were to try just a sono sub how long would it have be if 18“or 24” ?
And yes it was just to add 4 cubic feet to a 7 cubic foot box so that I could have 11 cubic fee. But I’m interested in a full sonotube sub if it’s not 10’ long.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can actually picture that working, and might be easy enough to do if you have the right tools and chops. Get the right size calculated for volume and port and plug it right on top of your existing sub.

Full disclosure: I've never built a ported sub before so I have no clue wft I'm talking about and easy conceptually doesn't always mean easy in reality, lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And yes it was just to add 4 cubic feet to a 7 cubic foot box so that I could have 11 cubic fee. But I’m interested in a full sonotube sub if it’s not 10’ long.
It depends. The larger the diameter, the shorter it can be for the same tune.
If you can, download the free sonosub software and play around with different diameters and lengths. If you change any parameters like port size/length or sonotube diameter length it will show you what the tuning is. You can also go the other way and tell it what tune you want and it can show you what
size/length ports/tube to use. It has a library of drivers too. Probably not as extensive as winisd or bass box but you can enter TS parameters if you want.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
It depends. The larger the diameter, the shorter it can be for the same tune.
If you can, download the free sonosub software and play around with different diameters and lengths. If you change any parameters like port size/length or sonotube diameter length it will show you what the tuning is. You can also go the other way and tell it what tune you want and it can show you what
size/length ports/tube to use. It has a library of drivers too. Probably not as extensive as winisd or bass box but you can enter TS parameters if you want.

Thanks William

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks William
First thing you wanna do is figure out what diameter you want and settle on that. Then you can start plugging numbers. The bigger the diameter, the shorter it'll be.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
As I indicated in my previous post, to be really effective, the tuning tube for an 18 Hz frequency would have a total volume of about 2 cf for a 6 inch pipe.. So a straight 6" pipe would have to be about 8 feet long.
The law of physics is inflexible. If you use a smaller diameter pipe, it would need to be shorter but you would risk getting shuffling noise at infrasonic frequencies. That of course depends on the SPL you would demand from the sub driver.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis