Walter Becker & Steely Dan: Engineering the Passion Behind the Sound

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
On September 3rd, 2017, the world lost another musical legend - Walter Becker, one half of the duo named Steely Dan. Becker was the kind of misanthrope that would roll his eyes at yet another gushing tribute to his genius. So, I’ll spare you the sentimental fawning and just cut straight to why I think the life and career of Walter Becker mattered to music.

becker.jpg

Read: Walter Becker & Steely Dan: Engineering the Passion Behind the Sound

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for that great story on Walter Becker. Steely Dan was one of my favorite artists during college and after. I have 'Two Against Nature' on DVD Audio, and it's definitely the best sounding disc in my collection.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Thanks, DigitalDawn.
My appreciation for them came late. I always knew their classics but mostly as background music, I never reconciled that the guys who did musical classics like Peg and Deacon Blue were the same guys that did Do it Again and Reeling in the Years. For some reason I thought Do it Again was Santana. I delved into Steely Dan more completely after Everything Must Go.
Thanks for the nice words about the article... please share it if you think people you know might enjoy it.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks for that great story on Walter Becker. Steely Dan was one of my favorite artists during college and after. I have 'Two Against Nature' on DVD Audio, and it's definitely the best sounding disc in my collection.
Where did you get that DVD-A? I see a few places online but they want almost $100 for it!

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Huge Steely Dan fan!! Becker and his music will certainly be missed. Gene, thanks for the article!
Oh and at one time, I had Two Against Nature, Everything Must Go and Gaucho on DVD Audio, but foolishly sold them off!!

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Gene,

I've had it for years and years. I bought the disc when Peter Tribeman told me about it -- probably when it first debuted.

Isn't it available on HD Tracks in multichannel?

Dawn

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The entire TAN album just seemed to mixed perfect. The bass lines from Cousin Dupree, to the lyrics "What a shame about me" just enjoyable.

G

gwilav

Enthusiast
I went to see Steely Dan in Chicago when they first started touring again in the early 2000's. I was walking downtown after lunch and spotted Walter Becker walking by himself carrying a bag (looked like he'd been shopping). No one recognized him as he walked down the street but I had been a Steely Dan fan since high school in the 70's and recognized him immediately. I crossed the street and approached him and we talked for a few minutes. He was a very unassuming and unpretentious man and was kind enough to talk to me for a couple of minutes, a day I'll always remember. I had never had a chance to see them live early in their career and Had waited a long time for the opportunity and that nights concert didn't disappoint.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis