Wait for new models or Buy now have until 12/09 & $4000?

M

m3maniac

Enthusiast
Looking to buy before the Christmas season but see Epson, Panasonic, Mistsubishi, and BenQ all have new units coming out soon.

The present set up 7.1: Denon AVR4802R
Polk Lsi9 surround sounds-2 front, 2 side, 2 rear
Polk Lsic center channel
Infinity Northridge E250P subwoofer
BenQ PE8700 projector
PS3, X-Box 360, Scientific Atlanta HD-HDMI 1080i cable box
Room size: 25’ long x 12’ wide with an 8’ ceiling
Projector is located 12’-6” from front of screen.
Screen size viewable 91” wide x 52” high
Seating centrally located.

Want a 1080p with the best picture quality for movies, TV, and PS3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If this is a dedicated theater space, I would be looking at the JVC models. Otherwise, I would wait and check the review sites - Audioholics, ProjectorReviews, ProjectorCentral - to see what is being said about the new Epson & Panny models.

M

m3maniac

Enthusiast
Dedicated and what JVC Model?

If this is a dedicated theater space, I would be looking at the JVC models. Otherwise, I would wait and check the review sites - Audioholics, ProjectorReviews, ProjectorCentral - to see what is being said about the new Epson & Panny models.
What do you mean by dedicated? Why JVC over the other guys and what JVC model.

Thanks

Eric

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks

Eric
the JVC RS series is considered among the best and is a step up over the brands you mention.

I suggest you wait as deals come that might save you some cash.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If it was me, and I was quite willing to drop 4k, I'd scrap up another 1.2k or so to get the RS20.

Or I would buy used, if I can talk the price down enough. I just checked a classified, and I immediately recognized the seller's name from another forum, and I could check posting history, and directly ask Q's.

Or, I'd wait for the day that AVS puts these up as b stock. That means bookmarking that particular subforum, checking in every single day, with CC ready in hand. It could be over a year from now, or it might be this year, you never know.

Why this PJ? Why so much more money at 5.3k or so? Because it might very well be the best PJ you can get at less than $40,000 price tags. And since anything a lot better is going to cost upwards of $25,000, well, the RS20 would be it. It not only separates itself from its little brothers in terms of contrast and such, but it's the only one with a true CMS on board to obtain accurate colors.

Recently, before this very particular model, people who were sticklers for color accuracy (one of the most important things to a good pic) have been adding a very specific outboard video processor, if only for that CMS, in the Lumagen Radiance XD for a whopping $4,500, which often times costs as much the PJ itself (if not more).

The RS20 makes that a moot point, and when considering the included CMS, there is some tangible value for sure at this significantly higher price point.

I have a superceded RS1 (lower line, and older), and if I upgraded, the RS20 is the least I'd go for. Sure, I'd have to wait for the right deal, perhaps, but otherwise, I'm sitting still (which unfortunately will be the case for a while).

Of course, better to wait a bit, and see what the final comparisons are with the newer units.

some side notes: BMX would be first guy to greatly warn against buying used. I'd probably agree most of the times, unless I could buy from a trusted forum member for instance. Basically, I'm willing to do the background work, where for you YMMV.

Also, the RS20 is less accurate OTB than the RS10, IIRC, but after you employ the CMS, then you should have a greater pic than you can possibly imagine.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord

Thanks

Eric
While I think you just got a VERY enthusiastic (and correct) explanation of why the JVC models are a good deal better than most other projectors on the market, what is not stated is why you may not want the JVC. If you have a large screen, which at 106" you are at a pretty good size, and if you haven't set your room up as a dedicated theater - that is, your screen is in your basement 'all purpose' room, and you have white walls, and you might have some lights on... Much of what the JVC can offer may be lost on the quality if your setup. Moreso, the JVC models tend not to be super bright, or capable of getting bright for those times when you want some lights on, which is when an Epson may be a better choice.

On the other hand, if your room is a theater, you have it dark, dark paint, proper setup, etc. and your primary viewing is MOVIES - on Blu-ray preferably - you will find that there is basically no projector on the market which can really touch it anywhere near the same price point.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If you have a large screen, which at 106" you are at a pretty good size, and if you haven't set your room up as a dedicated theater - that is, your screen is in your basement 'all purpose' room, and you have white walls, and you might have some lights on... Much of what the JVC can offer may be lost on the quality if your setup. Moreso, the JVC models tend not to be super bright, or capable of getting bright for those times when you want some lights on, which is when an Epson may be a better choice.
A cool feature on the current RS series, and I don't know if Epson or other competitors have them, is the manual static iris (not to be confused at all with dynamic iris).

He could open up the iris for higher ambient lighting conditions, and close it some for lights off viewing. Sure, the JVC won't be enough when all the windows are open, but the iris will help users out quite a bit with changing conditions.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
A cool feature on the current RS series, and I don't know if Epson or other competitors have them, is the manual static iris (not to be confused at all with dynamic iris).

He could open up the iris for higher ambient lighting conditions, and close it some for lights off viewing. Sure, the JVC won't be enough when all the windows are open, but the iris will help users out quite a bit with changing conditions.
Yeah, the dynamic iris can be turned on/off with the other projectors, but in dynamic mode projectors, especially the Epson, simply creams the JVC for capable light output. Optomized to maintain a good image, the Epson even blows the JVC away for light output.

NOT TO BE CONFUSED: The Epson can't touch the black levels, accuracy, or cinematic impact that the JVCs offer. Plain and simple, in a dedicated home theater, with a screen under 110", I would go with the JVC in one tenth of a second.

But, in a variable environment, where you need the flexibility of significant brightness, the JVCs simply don't have it.

Which is a real shame, because I would love to see one from them which could deliver in the 2,000 lumen range, even if it cut contrast a fair bit. The JVCs should be capable of still delivering a better overall product than the LCD or DLP models have been able to do recently.

M

m3maniac

Enthusiast
I found this JVC unit on videogon for 5300

Tell me is this unit from Videogon the real deal and a trustworthy seller? Is this the top end JVC unit that you guys are talking about?

Jvc, (New Model) "DLA-RS20U" now $5399 with free shipping !

Minimum Bid $5399.00
Current High $0.00 (NO reserve)
Opening Bid $5399.00
New Price $7495.00
Condition NEW
Bids/Views 0 / 78

Time Left 1day 13hrs
Close Time Tue Sep 15, 10:55 pm edt
Ship cost Plus shipping
Ship from 36 lbs from 18512
Ship to Worldwide
Included Box, Manual, Remote

About Seller Polivision (177)
(send email) (view feedback) (other items)

Place your bid

Pay terms Money Order, Personal Check, Visa/MC, Amex, Discover

For best pricing, expert advice, and complete information on the new JVC "DLA-RS20U" Projector and the all NEW STEWART "StudioTek 130 G3" PROJECTION SCREEN VIEWING SURFACE to achieve the highest contrast, reflectivity, color fidelity, and light gain to optimize the performance of this projector contact Poli-Vision at 570-489-3292 or e-mail us at polivision@aol.com

Note: We recommend the new Stewart "StudioTek 130 G3" Viewing Surface for light controlled rooms, and the Stewart "FireHawk G3" Viewing Surface for rooms with uncontrolled lighting. Questions ... give us a call.

The new DLA-RS20 brings THX® certified performance to your home theater! From its incredible 50,000:1 native contrast ratio to a new level of color accuracy, brightness and ease of use, this projector is in a class of its own. JVC has refined its Reference Series line of projectors by developing a new high precision 17 element motorized lens with an upgraded optical path, and by incorporating the Silicon Optix's HQV Reon-VX processor. Sporting a stylish yet functional new design and pearl black cabinet, the DLA-RS20 is simply the finest 1080p home theater projector you can buy.
THX® certified performance
3 panel D-ILA light engine—original JVC technology
900 lumen brightness with 16 step fixed aperture
Industry's highest native contrast ratio
High performance 2x motorized zoom lens with auto dust cover
Advanced HQV Reon-VX processor by Silicon Optix
Excellent color management
THX Movie Mode recreates a true cinema experience
Customized on-screen gamma control
Ultra quiet 19dB operation
HDMI 1.3 interface (x2)
Two trigger functions (screen or anamorphic lens)

Industy's highest native contrast ratio—up to 50,000:1 !

Native Contrast ratio is the intrinsic ability of the projector to show the complete range of image contrast simultaneously. In the DLA-RS20, JVC changed the structural design of the optical section from a conventional L-shape to a straight configuration which helps to reduce light leakage. The enhanced wire grid optical engine dramatically improves the precision of light polarization, helping to prevent light spilling onto the projection lens. Combined with a highly efficient lamp, a brightness of 900 lumens has been achieved. Realizing that increased brightness may not be desired for all viewing environments and screen sizes, JVC has added a 16-step Aperture Brightness Control that allows users to achieve perfect screen brightness and adjust for ambient lighting conditions. The Aperture Brightness Control also serves to further enhance native contrast ratio, up to 50,000:1.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Tell me is this unit from Videogon the real deal and a trustworthy seller?
No clue, sorry. Try AVS store, that's where I got mine, probably where I'll get my next, and where a number of us bought ours. They are "affiliated" with AVS forums.

Jason Turk at 585-671-2968, or Craig Peer toll free at 877-823-4452 ext 108, or Direct line at 585-671-2937.

Is this the top end JVC unit that you guys are talking about?
Yep. Now, I'm glad I got you to look-n-see, but know that the RS10 is about 2 grand less. No CMS, and not quite the contrast, but brighter, and a whole lot less money.

How difficult is the CMS to use? It will be a learning experience.

Official JVC RS20 / HD750 Calibration and CMS thread (NEW FIRMWARE V1.1)

A brief search seems to imply that the on board CMS is an extremely great value. However, if watching SD content is very important to you, getting an outboard VP is still the WTG. Me? I haven't watched SD since '07. :p

M

m3maniac

Enthusiast
JVC new models soon

No clue, sorry. Try AVS store, that's where I got mine, probably where I'll get my next, and where a number of us bought ours. They are "affiliated" with AVS forums.

Jason Turk at 585-671-2968, or Craig Peer toll free at 877-823-4452 ext 108, or Direct line at 585-671-2937.

Yep. Now, I'm glad I got you to look-n-see, but know that the RS10 is about 2 grand less. No CMS, and not quite the contrast, but brighter, and a whole lot less money.

How difficult is the CMS to use? It will be a learning experience.

Official JVC RS20 / HD750 Calibration and CMS thread (NEW FIRMWARE V1.1)

A brief search seems to imply that the on board CMS is an extremely great value. However, if watching SD content is very important to you, getting an outboard VP is still the WTG. Me? I haven't watched SD since '07. :p
What is the game plan for JVC in the near future? Will the RS20 be updated or have a newer version within 6 months or will it remain the top dog for some time? Just would hate to get burned. I bought a 32g iphone to have the "S" model come out a month later at a lower price.......bummer!

Thanks for the contacts and great advice. What is the average price of the DLA-RS20U-I saw $5300 does that seem fair, any negotiating or price drops in the near future?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
What is the game plan for JVC in the near future? Will the RS20 be updated or have a newer version within 6 months or will it remain the top dog for some time? Just would hate to get burned. I bought a 32g iphone to have the "S" model come out a month later at a lower price.......bummer!
Yeah, that's why I did say it's best to wait. It's always like this though. :eek: Same cycle. The later you buy a model, the better the price, but then that also means the new ones are even closer to release. But, you're so close to the release, and your thread title says 12/09, I'd just wait. I've already contacted Jason (the first contact), for something else, and I did ask him what the expected price would be on the rs25. He didn't answer that part.

Here are his own impressions of the 15 and 25. He mentioned that when he received these two, there was only one 35 in existence in the US.

JVC DLA-RS15 and RS25...A First Look!

Thanks for the contacts and great advice. What is the average price of the DLA-RS20U-I saw $5300 does that seem fair, any negotiating or price drops in the near future?
It seems fair, but in my limited experiences, AVS has always had the best price. They might only beat the next best price I found by $50, but it still was always the best price I found. I doubt there is room for negotiation, but it never hurts to try. You might have better luck if you bought more products at the same time, whether a screen, receiver, or a calibration by Jason himself, etc.

Q

quicke60

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, that's why I did say it's best to wait. It's always like this though. :eek: Same cycle. The later you buy a model, the better the price, but then that also means the new ones are even closer to release. But, you're so close to the release, and your thread title says 12/09, I'd just wait. I've already contacted Jason (the first contact), for something else, and I did ask him what the expected price would be on the rs25. He didn't answer that part.
Honestly I don't know, for example I bought my wife a fairly expensive watch for Xmas last year. I got it for 40% off which was unheard of for this particular brand. The pricing is now 30% more than it was last year as I think people were just desperate to clear out inventory... I've seen a lot of projector price drops lately, I just don't know if we're really going to go a lot lower... but then again I haven't been tracking JVC RS20 pricing - too rich for my blood! :p

S

Sherardp

Audioholic
RS10/paired with Carada 126" Criterion screen here and I can tell you once you go JVC you can't go back. I like my colors vibrant so the lack of CMS is nonissue for me. I was this close to pulling the trigger on RS15/25 just waiting for JM to pm me saying he is ready for the RS10. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis