W7 DVI to HDMI to TV to Processor

P

PWRmx24

Audioholic Intern
My current computer is a Windows 7 machine. Its a laptop with a docking station that has a DVI connector. My cable is a DVI in one end and HDMI on the other. It goes to my tv then the tv has a S/PDF iut to the processor. Any idea how I make sure the PCM signal gets to the processor when I play CDs so the processor decodes vs the laptop? I have the TV set to external speaker Optical (PCM) out.
And yep if you've seen ny other posts I'm working on a budget older system.

Rotel RSP-1066 (no HDMI)
Rotel RMB-1095
Samsung UN32EH5000

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn't expect any audio at all. DVI is not a connection type which typically supports audio. It is not part of the DVI standard. Some DVI connections do act like HDMI and carry both audio and video, but for the most part, this is not the normal. DVI was killed off a VERY long time ago. I think my last three laptops had HDMI on them and the oldest is about 15 years old. So, I'm not sure what you are working with, but you may need something else to get audio into things.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My current computer is a Windows 7 machine. Its a laptop with a docking station that has a DVI connector. My cable is a DVI in one end and HDMI on the other. It goes to my tv then the tv has a S/PDF iut to the processor. Any idea how I make sure the PCM signal gets to the processor when I play CDs so the processor decodes vs the laptop? I have the TV set to external speaker Optical (PCM) out.
And yep if you've seen ny other posts I'm working on a budget older system.

Rotel RSP-1066 (no HDMI)
Rotel RMB-1095
Samsung UN32EH5000
That is not going to work and totally impossible. The modern digital era is not really updatable and becomes totally incompatible with the passage of time. S reinvestment is absolutely required on a continuous basis. So you have to pay and keep paying your dues to play in the digital age. That is just a fact of life.

Lastly, a Window 7 computer is a massive security risk for you. That computer needs to go to the recycling center ASAP with holes drilled in the hard drive.

P

PWRmx24

Audioholic Intern
I was able to get it to work today. Set the Samsung to external speaker and PCM.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Lastly, a Window 7 computer is a massive security risk for you. That computer needs to go to the recycling center ASAP with holes drilled in the hard drive.
Other operating systems like FreeBSD, OpenBSD or Linux can extend the life of the laptop and delay recycling of it.

P

PWRmx24

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the replies. The laptop has a display port and when it's docked, the station has a display port and (what I now know to be) a DVI-D (Dual Link) output. After researching a bit, it seems the DVI-D to HDMI cable tranfers the audio digitally to the tv. So I'm glad about that. I'm satisfied with the 2.1 stereo from cds and pretty satisfied with "just" DTS 5.1 for now with my older (no HDMI) system......until I can afford an upgrade. As for security, I'll consider the Linux option. For now it just stays off the inet and plays music from disc or hard drive.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis