VTF-3 MK 5 for music

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My brother... you have saved PG55, and guided him down the bass rabbit hole. Well done. Very well done indeed
But damn man! Woke bass? W. T. F.
I’m flinging myself off a bridge now.....
Omg this made me laugh... ha ha!

Ima go fling myself off a bridge now... :p

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Omg this made me laugh... ha ha!

Ima go fling myself off a bridge now... :p
Well, I guess we've got our answer to that ages old parent question: "If your friends flung themselves off a bridge would you do it too?"

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here are some sweeps of the VTF 3 MK 5. Interesting the sweeps with no room correction look better than Audyssey reference on with and without DEQ.
Something doesn't look right. They look more alike than different when you account for the spl boost from DEQ. I think that's why that sharp dip appears. If you drop the top measurements down they'd almost overlap the Audyssey off curve. With a little smoothing they'd look even more alike. How did you run setup? Did you do all 8 measurements and follow the pattern on the screen with the mic at ear height?

And just to be clear, you do mean "Audyssey off", and not "DEQ off"?

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Something doesn't look right. They look more alike than different when you account for the spl boost from DEQ. I think that's why that sharp dip appears. If you drop the top measurements down they'd almost overlap the Audyssey off curve. With a little smoothing they'd look even more alike. How did you run setup? Did you do all 8 measurements and follow the pattern on the screen with the mic at ear height?

And just to be clear, you do mean "Audyssey off", and not "DEQ off"?
Yes, Audyssey off. It seems like the dip is smoothed with Audyssey off. I thought it would be the other way around. That big dip appears with Audyssey on in all the measurements with and without DEQ and all the different port configurations. Is that an audible dip? I don't really hear a difference except the lower volume with Audyssey off.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Now that I'm back at the house... that suckout between 35 and 50 Hz is big enough to drive a truck through. At 20dB deep, I would expect it's audible.
It screems Acoustics to me... likely a null in your room at the LP... could be a cancellation due to soundwaves bouncing around... perhaps a combination of things...
No two ways about it, though... I would look for a new home for that Sub!
Having a second, of course, will help smooth that stuff out, too, but if you are trying to get the best performance from one sub, the Crawl will help you find a better spot!

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Now that I'm back at the house... that suckout between 35 and 50 Hz is big enough to drive a truck through. At 20dB deep, I would expect it's audible.
It screems Acoustics to me... likely a null in your room at the LP... could be a cancellation due to soundwaves bouncing around... perhaps a combination of things...
No two ways about it, though... I would look for a new home for that Sub!
Having a second, of course, will help smooth that stuff out, too, but if you are trying to get the best performance from one sub, the Crawl will help you find a better spot!

Hi,

I did the crawl with several different subs and the right corner next to the right front main has always been the spot. There has always been a small dip in the 30-50 Hz range but not one this big? I am going to run Audyssey again from the AVR vs. Multi EQ app and see what that does.

My only options for moving the sub would be to Anyone have a set up with the sub behind and about 14 feet from the front mains?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,

I did the crawl with several different subs and the right corner next to the right front main has always been the spot. There has always been a small dip in the 30-50 Hz range but not one this big? I am going to run Audyssey again from the AVR vs. Multi EQ app and see what that does.

My only options for moving the sub would be to Anyone have a set up with the sub behind and about 14 feet from the front mains?
The app has always worked fine for me.
I would experiment with moving the sub a little. Sometime 2-3” can make a difference!
The nice thing is you’ve got the ability to test it out as you experiment with placement. :)

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
The app has always worked fine for me.
I would experiment with moving the sub a little. Sometime 2-3” can make a difference!
The nice thing is you’ve got the ability to test it out as you experiment with placement. :)
I'm going to run Audyssey tomorrow and redo the sweeps. As I mentioned I have limited ability to move this size sub. 2-2" in really about all I have. Worst case is I can exchange it for the ULSc15 MK2 which is smaller and gives me more placement options.

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Hi,

I did a sub crawl and here are the three spots that showed best. I didn't have time to run Audyssey on any except the original RF. I posted all placements with no correction for comparison. Interesting that the dip is apparent in all the ones with Audyssey correction on. I would like some feedback on which spot would be the best to work with?

Thanks PG55

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,

I did a sub crawl and here are the three spots that showed best. I didn't have time to run Audyssey on any except the original RF. I posted all placements with no correction for comparison. Interesting that the dip is apparent in all the ones with Audyssey correction on. I would like some feedback on which spot would be the best to work with?

Thanks PG55
I would say left corner is a no go. that is by far the worst response. The other two locations seem to offer you the best response to begin working with.
Usually Audyssey, in my experience, does a great job with Bass. I know other dislike it, but again, so much of this comes down to our rooms.
Can you show the two better positions, at 1/12 smoothing, Please? Also, please to fix the colors of the responses on the "with Aud" graph... the two "better responses look like they are done in the same color. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,

Thanks PG55
Again, aside from the expected boost from DEQ, I'm not seeing much of a difference between Audyssey on and Audyssey off. To me it looks like there's very little, if any room correction at all. That dip is also apparent with Audyssey correction off, just not as pronounced. Which I think is due to the volume boost from DEQ. Which version of Audyssey are you using, and when you ran setup did you use all 8 mic positions and follow the pattern on the screen closely, mic at ear level?

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Again, aside from the expected boost from DEQ, I'm not seeing much of a difference between Audyssey on and Audyssey off. To me it looks like there's very little, if any room correction at all. That dip is also apparent with Audyssey correction off, just not as pronounced. Which I think is due to the volume boost from DEQ. Which version of Audyssey are you using, and when you ran setup did you use all 8 mic positions and follow the pattern on the screen closely, mic at ear level?
I moved the Sub out from the back wall 4 inches and used Audyssey recommended 8 positions and walla! I think this one looks pretty good with no smoothing.

Attachments

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Here is both with and without Audyssey correction with 1/12 smoothing. I have no idea why they look so similar? I checked and rechecked and these are correct. Am I correct in that they are pretty good regardless?

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here is both with and without Audyssey correction with 1/12 smoothing. I have no idea why they look so similar? I checked and rechecked and these are correct. Am I correct in that they are pretty good regardless?
That's more like it. Yes, moving your sub seems to have helped before correction. Running room correction more carefully seems to have helped too. The 2 curves are going to look somewhat similar because your room is what's causing that big dip and Audyssey does its best to correct it and make that line flat. From what I see now it did a decent job of it too. I see over a 5 dB improvement in that dip with Audyssey on now!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here is with DEQ and RLO. How is it looking?
It's looking like you're on the right track and made some improvements. Those sweeps show me that DEQ is doing exactly what it does. The different RLOs affect how much boost you get from DEQ and you can see it in that chart.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis