vote on my receiver

J

Joshr

Enthusiast
OK, while I'm doing my research, I figured I should let all you experts vote. This piece will be driving Energy Veritas V2.3 fronts, V2.0C center, and V2.0R rears in a large room. Haven't decided on which sub yet. Cast your vote:

1. Rotel 1067
2. Marantz SR8500
3. Arcam 250 or 300
4. Integra 6.5 or 7.5
5. Don't do either: buy a less powerful receiver and supplement with separate 2 or 3 channel power amp.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Option 5. None of the receivers you listed are powerful enough to bring out the best in your front towers. You need a separate two channel power amp with an updated receiver. With the proper amp, you will be able to tell the difference in a great recording vs a poor recording.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Option 5 .....The Veritas line loves the juice. Even if the specs say otherwise. They need a seperate 2ch or 5ch amp to get the best from them.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Option 5. It's what I did, except I use a five-channel amp.
Yamaha 1400 and Adcom 7605

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
When I upgraded from my Polk RTi38 to Veritas 2.3i last fall, I went with option 5 for a while using a 3805 and my 2 channel amps. The improvement was not that great and only then I realized how good and powerful the 3805 really is. The dealer where I bought my V2.3i from used an Arcam AVR300 to demo the speakers. It sounded so good that it help me make up my mind on the Veritas immediately.

The V2.3i does like a lot of power, but my room isn't that big. If you have a large room, you will difinitely benefit more from a 2 or 3 channel amp. Even the Rotel 1067 cannot touch a decent 200WPC power amplifier.

J

Joshr

Enthusiast
ok, next question

Wow, that's 5 votes for choice 5 and none for 1-4. So, assuming that landslide doesn't just reflect that it's always fun to spend other people's money ;-), let's revise the candidate slate, except this time it will be a write-in election:

So, tell me what receiver and amp you think I should buy that won't break the bank and that will meaningfully outperform the AVR-only solutions in the last vote.

Thanks!

--Josh

H

hootie10

Enthusiast
Hi Josh,

Definately option 5. I wouldn't say that the Veritas isn't too hard to drive but from my experience they like power, and sound great with lots of it. 200wpc for the 2.3's would be nice for those. In your case separates would be the best route to take.

The Veritas line is great IMO. Great choice!!

Good luck and Enjoy

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Any lower powered receiver (cheaper) that has all the options you want(including pre-outs). For an amp, try the B&K REF 200.5...........I just picked up a demo model for $1700 which is about half of the MSRP depending on where you shop..............an excellent amp for the $.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Lowest price Yamaha or Denon with the features you need and an Adcom GFA 5503. Amp is 200w X 3. It can be found for 1595.00-1599.00(shipping included) from authorized dealers.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Receiver:Yamaha RX-V2500 (or 2400), or for a better price, or Denon AVR2805.

Amplifier: I second the Adcom. I have tried my 3805 with an old GFA-555 and a Bryston 4B SST, not much different in H.T. The Adcom seems to have unlimited power. I can watch LOTR in one shot with the Adcom driving my V2.3i and it wouldn't even get warm at the end.

C

chelentano

Audiophyte
if you don't use all 7 channels on Arcam 300, you can reconfigure it and use channels 6 and 7 to bi-amp you front speakers. So you could almost double the power to the main speakers. No other receiver can do that.

M

MarieonCape

Audioholic Intern
Suggest search of Audioholics and this forum

chelentano said:
if you don't use all 7 channels on Arcam 300, you can reconfigure it and use channels 6 and 7 to bi-amp you front speakers. So you could almost double the power to the main speakers. No other receiver can do that.
Have you checked all your sources before making this claim? Do you make this claim in a specific manner (i.e., bi-amp at the push of one button?), since there are many posts by others (See Gene, Denon AVR-3805) on bi-amping.

Marie

C

chelentano

Audiophyte
MarieonCape said:
Have you checked all your sources before making this claim? Do you make this claim in a specific manner (i.e., bi-amp at the push of one button?), since there are many posts by others (See Gene, Denon AVR-3805) on bi-amping.

Marie
OK, you right, I should say "BASED ON MY KNOWLEDGE, no other receiver can do that". But on Arcam AVR300 this feature could be easily turned on by setup menu with a couple of clicks. It's documented in the manual and done by me in practice. I have not found anything like that in Danon's manual. And again, I am talking about bi-amping using 6th and 7th channels, not by external amplifier.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis