Vote: Best Speakers of 2013?

cavemanit

cavemanit

Enthusiast
Hey AH community,

I wanted to get your take on the best speakers of 2013. I'm doing some last minute year shopping and wanted to see the best options. Did some google searching and came upon the list below. Do you agree with this list?

How would you rank it? Your insights would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Ouch! That is a painful list to look at. What are you looking for??? Those are all pretty much junk.

cavemanit

cavemanit

Enthusiast
LOL! I'm not entirely sure yet slippery. Thanks for the warning about that list! I'm a noob when it comes to speakers. I need a full theater speaker system. I'm planning to open a little theater in the Philippines and want to get a high def quality speaker. Maybe that can be comfortably heard for 50-100 people in a medium sized auditorium.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like a list of computer speakers, if that's what you're looking for, and I'd probably still choose "none of the above".

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
LOL! I'm not entirely sure yet slippery. Thanks for the warning about that list! I'm a noob when it comes to speakers. I need a full theater speaker system. I'm planning to open a little theater in the Philippines and want to get a high def quality speaker. Maybe that can be comfortably heard for 50-100 people in a medium sized auditorium.
No insult intended here, but you would have to fit a hundred people into a small bathroom (and they would still want to get their money back) . BTW where in the Philippines, I've been there.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, the real answer is to get commercial theater speakers for a commercial theater application.

That being said, I'm sure you could get something consumer grade to fit the bill for a smaller theater.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it's well established that all the "speakers" in the list above are junk. Now if you are not trolling us, you would have to invest several orders of magnitude more on sound to get anywhere near what I describe cinema sound

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Pyle speakers would certainly have enough power for an auditorium. Not my first choice for live sound applications though.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Pyle PADH212 which is listed at #12 are live sound PA speakers. Well, I suppose you could use them in a car too, that that seems a tad excessive.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Pyle PADH212 which is listed at #12 are live sound PA speakers. Well, I suppose you could use them in a car too, that that seems a tad excessive.
Then they just have the wrong pic there. Pyle IMO is cheap stuff, but on a budget, it works.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
#12, the PADh212 looks like it is using the correct image. You are talking about #10 on that list?

I would rather go with cheapy Behringer than Pyle though for live sound on an extreme cheap budget. However if I would rather just take some time out to build some of Bill Fitzmaurice's designs- something the OP might consider if he has tools and woodwork experience and a very tight budget.

cavemanit

cavemanit

Enthusiast
Thanks for the brutal honesty guys. I feel embarrassed for even posting the list. I might create a new list. Example "Best Theatre Quality Speakers 2013" - thanks everyone for your help. In the meantime I need some suggestions on what to add to that list. So far Pyle PADh212 and some of Bill Fitzmaurice's designs.

No insult intended here, but you would have to fit a hundred people into a small bathroom (and they would still want to get their money back) . BTW where in the Philippines, I've been there.
Antipolo, Philippines

I think it's well established that all the "speakers" in the list above are junk. Now if you are not trolling us, you would have to invest several orders of magnitude more on sound to get anywhere near what I describe cinema sound
Definitely not trolling. I'm legitimately new to the audio category and need advice. I didn't expect the list to be mostly computer quality speakers. haha.

The Pyle speakers would certainly have enough power for an auditorium. Not my first choice for live sound applications though.
Great suggestion shady. I'll do some research on these speakers. Do you have any other suggestions? The more options the better.

#12, the PADh212 looks like it is using the correct image. You are talking about #10 on that list?

I would rather go with cheapy Behringer than Pyle though for live sound on an extreme cheap budget. However if I would rather just take some time out to build some of Bill Fitzmaurice's designs- something the OP might consider if he has tools and woodwork experience and a very tight budget.
I have some connections with woodworkers so the Bill Fitzmaurice definitely looks like a good option.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL. I didn't even look at #12 :) I stopped at about #4 until people started discussing various ones.

Last edited:
anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
OP - For cinema audio look into the below listed companies for speakers. They are the leaders in commercial cinema sound. Especially JBL who has speakers installed in over 50% of the cinemas around the world. JBL and QSC will be your best bets. Especially QSC. They have an impressive variety of speakers for all kinds of situations and budgets. If you really want to spend some money you could go with Klipsch who many feel are much better than JBL and QSC but IMO they tend to be over priced. QSC offers some very impressive one stop solutions since they offer processors and amps as well.

Contact the below listed companies to find out who the distributor is in your country.

JBL Professional
QSC Audio Products :: Products
Cinema Speakers | Klipsch

Hopefully this helps a bit.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Great suggestion shady. I'll do some research on these speakers. Do you have any other suggestions? The more options the better.

I have some connections with woodworkers so the Bill Fitzmaurice definitely looks like a good option.
In that case I would go to Fitzmaurice's forums and give him a detailed description of your venue and your application (ie music or lectures or movies or whatever) and ask him which of his designs would work best. He is an accessible and knowledgeable guy, so he will be helpful. Remember there can be a lot more to an PA system then just hooking up some speakers to and amplifier and a mixing console. Depending on your level of experience and level of responsibility for your project, I would strongly recommend you go through this book.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis