J

Joseman37

Audioholic Intern
Hello there guys.
I wanna know if there's an exact volume at which any subwoofer should be set?

Thank you.
Stay healthy.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hello there guys.
I wanna know if there's an exact volume at which any subwoofer should be set?

Thank you.
Stay healthy.
For the Gain control on the Sub?
Most Set-Up guidelines tell you to start with the Gain at about 50% If you are using room correction, like Audyssey for example, it may instruct you to then adjust the Gain to somewhere around 73dB before proceeding.
Likewise, running multiple Subs will change the overall output by anywhere from 3-6dB, which would then be accounted for in Gain adjustment first.
Once you have the Gain roughed in, finite controls are recommended to always be managed through the AVR's Line Level Trim Settings.

J

Joseman37

Audioholic Intern
Is the gain the knob on the sub? And I set the knob at 50% before I used Audyssey. But I didn't do anymore settings afterwards.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Short answer: no. Each sub amp's gain control (or attenuation control or often marked "volume") works differently from amp to amp depending on the amp's sensitivity and your pre-out signal strength. Then there's simply preference....or where you want the sub trim level set.

When you ran Audyssey what was the dB level on screen with the knob at 50% (which is just a general starting point, and with most of the plate amp subs I've had that's too high) ?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you used Audyssey to just set distance and levels, then it would have adjusted everything to it's idea of suitable levels. Even if you turned Audyssey off after running the setup protocol.
What is your Receiver? Which version of Audyssey?
What does your AVR show the Sub Trim set to?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP, there are nine ways to Sunday to set a sub's volume. ryanosaur's advice is one way to do it. Another is simply to turn sub gain all the way down, play a test tone at the volume level you usually listen to music or movies and then slowly turn up the gain control on the sub until the tone seems to match front speakers in volume, or use a SPL app on your cell phone to appraise tone volume from sub is the same as mains. In this adjustment procedure start with receiver sub level set at factory default, or 0db. Thats' it. Now, note when you subsequently play music or movies at a very low volume or a very high volume you will need to increase or decrease sub volume to be pleased with the sub effect. That adjustment could be made via the sub's gain control; but, it is more convenient to adjust sub level from your receiver's remote if the sub is connected to receiver's sub preout. BTW, in my application, sub amplification is at 3/4 gain and Pre-Pro sub level is -2.0db generally listening to music at about 65db.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis