Volume Control Issue on a Onkyo TX-NR809

D

DBJ

Audiophyte
I recently moved and finally got around to setting up my AV system. For some reason the remote control will not control the volume now. I have rest the remote, the receiver and all other functions seem to be normal. Anyone have any suggestions? I am stumped.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently moved and finally got around to setting up my AV system. For some reason the remote control will not control the volume now. I have rest the remote, the receiver and all other functions seem to be normal. Anyone have any suggestions? I am stumped.
Try a reset of the receiver. If that does not do it you will be out of luck. That model of receiver seems to have a really bad reputation even by Onkyo standards.

It has almost 50 of users not totally satisfied and 20% furious. It seems it is prone to multiple faults involving the HDMI and Mother boards.

If a reset does not do the trick, I suspect that the mother board needs replacing. For this receiver that is absolutely not worth the cost.

So you can put up with the problem and control the volume manually until it does, or replace the receiver.

D

DBJ

Audiophyte
Thanks TLS Guy, I have reset the remote as well as the receiver so S.O.L. seems to be where I set. Thanks for the info, that keeps me from fretting about it any further,
DBJ

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks TLS Guy, I have reset the remote as well as the receiver so S.O.L. seems to be where I set. Thanks for the info, that keeps me from fretting about it any further,
DBJ
Certain issues for that model had extended warranty thru Onkyo, relating to HDMI/Network board so your problem may be outside it. Might check it out in any case. By reset you didn't just do a soft reset of unplugging the unit for a while, you did the microprocessor/factory settings reset?

ps Does the volume control on the avr still work? Try a different remote? App or Harmony, that sort of thing?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Certain issues for that model had extended warranty thru Onkyo, relating to HDMI/Network board so your problem may be outside it. Might check it out in any case. By reset you didn't just do a soft reset of unplugging the unit for a while, you did the microprocessor/factory settings reset?

ps Does the volume control on the avr still work? Try a different remote? App or Harmony, that sort of thing?
Those receivers are absolute junk and the sooner he dumps it the better

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those receivers are absolute junk and the sooner he dumps it the better
Yes, we know your opinions on various brands and avrs in general...not everyone can afford a pre-pro with a bank of amps. The 809 is similar to one I have, it's quite a good avr aside from the hdmi/board network issue (which was repaired on mine). YMMV.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes, we know your opinions on various brands and avrs in general...not everyone can afford a pre-pro with a bank of amps. The 809 is similar to one I have, it's quite a good avr aside from the hdmi/board network issue (which was repaired on mine). YMMV.
When among hundreds of consumer reviews 47% have had an issue with that receiver, that is junk in my book. I call it as I see it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's widely acknowledged the period of time they had issues and they in the end did address it. Personally due the issue and a failed Pioneer I somewhat stay away from the Onkyo-Pioneer offerings, especially now that they've combined.

What's your source of consumer reviews? Amazon?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I agree 100%. Onkyo repaired mine after the warranty had expired and gave me another 3 years of warranty. If the on-receiver volume control still works then I'd suspect the remote itself. The weakness on the 809 was the HDMI board not the receiver itself. If the OP has a Harmony remote laying around or has a friend with an Onkyo remote I'd give it a try.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis