• Thread starter notquitehere188
  • Start date
N

notquitehere188

Audiophyte
i have a lot of old records that i want to keep using without having to buy the CD version. how would i record them to my computer to play on MP3 players(with separate songs) and CD's and would the sound quality be bad?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, you'll need to connect the line out on your preamp, receiver, or phono preamp to a good sound card. You might consider something like this. However, computers can sometimes have noisy analog sections, so you might think of opting to use your receiver or preamp to do A/D conversion and then sending a digital coax signal to a soundcard. For that, I would take a look at this card.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Here is how I did it for all 2 of the LPs I have:

- I bought an inexpensive turntable that has a built-in phono pre-amp. The turntable has your standard L/R analog audio outputs. [If your turntable does not have a built-in pre-amp then you need to either buy a pre-amp or run the turntable thru your receiver].

- You connect the analog audio cables (with RCA connectors) to the turntable and then purchase (from Radio Shack) a cable that has the two RCA connectors on one end and a 1/8" STERO mini plug on the other. Connect the mini plug to the line-in jack of the soundcard. [My soundcard uses the 1/8" mini plugs for line-in; some soundcards actually have cinch connectors (RCA) and they can be used without having to get the converter cable].

- Now you need an application that can record from the soundcard. You can get away with using the simple Windows Recorder but I would recommend something better like a good Wave Editor (I happen to use Sound Forge).

- If the app requires it, 'arm' the recording (basically tell it get ready, I'm about to hit record). Start playback of the LP and adjust the record level so that it peaks around -3 dB. You can adjust the record levels from the sound card's mixer applet. You should listen to a good portion of the record to ensure that the recording doesn't clip. If you set the record level really low, you ensure that it will never clip, but then you would have to post-process the recording (normalize, compress, etc) to bring the volume up.

- When the record level is set properly, start the LP playing again and hit record. I usually record the entire side in one shot and then split it into tracks afterwards. There are some tools that do a decent job of automatically splitting into tracks by detecting the silent gaps between tracks, but I find it better to do it manually so I have total control.

- Now you have a WAV file. Use any mp3 encoder to convert the WAV to mp3. Again I just use Sound Forge for this purpose, but a great free alternative is to use LAME.

Sound Quality is dependent on the condition of the record, how well the turntable tracks it, and the quality of the ADC in the sound card you are using. If you use a good wav editor to do the recording, you can also use it to clean up the recording a bit. You can fade in/out the ends of the tracks, normalize to make it louder, apply a noise gate to remove low level hiss (or better yet use a good noise reduction plugin), and many other things to get it to sound good.

It might sound intimidating, but it's really not. Just post any questions you have along the way - many of us have experience doing just what you want to do.

N

notquitehere188

Audiophyte
thanks, can you reccomend any free software for the initial recording/editing (i tried to get sound forge but the trial did not work)

also, if i have an ati all-in-wonder would it be better to use the RCA connectors in it or will it have a negative/equivalent effect as opposed to the original method

thx

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
SonicFoundry was bought by Sony. Here is the URL: http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/soundforgefamily.asp

The Sound Forge Audio Studio is all you need. The full version costs several hundred dollars and includes alot of stuf that a beginner just won't use. What problems did you have with the free trial? You may be able to call them to sort it out. If you just want to purchase it, it is about $70 and well worth it. Cubase and Protools are other professional audio editors that have trial versions you could check out too.

Nonetheless, there are quite a few free wave editors around. Best bet is google 'free wave editor' to find them. Audacity is one that gets good reviews. GoldWave is one I used briefly a long time ago and it works pretty well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis