T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
I think that I had a problem with vinyl rumble, has anyone else experienced this?

The system I using is a stereo setup with a pair of B&W 601's hooked up to a Denon AV-2802 amp. The record player has a Linn Sondek arm.

My speaker's woofer cones were going crazy when I played a remix of "Air - Surfing On A Rocket" on my record player. They were vibrating in and out around 2cm. These are only small woofers, less than 5 inches diameter, and I'd never seen them moving so much. This wasn't even at a particularly loud moment in the track, and the volume wasn't that high either. I just assumed though that it was something odd with the music.

The next day, my dad put on a work by George Gershwin, and the same thing happened. This time the cones were going even crazier, and their movement did not correlate with the music. I then remembered that my old Pioneer amp had a subsonic filter, which was there to remove record rumble. Seeing as the Pioneer dated from the 70's and wasn't entirely reliable, I decided to do a workaround. This involved changing the speaker setting on the amp to "small", thus removing the problematic frequencies.

I am concerned though that the speakers might be damaged.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
What turntable is the arm mounted on? Less expensive direct drive turntables are much more prone to rumble than a properly isolated belt drive design. Also, that arm is kind of picky about the compliance of the cartridge used with it. A mismatch there, while not causing the problem, can certainly exaggerate it.

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
The deck is a Thorens 150A/B, and the cartridge is a Goldring 1022GX. The Goldring probably has a model name, but I don't know what that is.

J

jawilljr

Banned
Is the turntable grounded to the receiver? There should be a ground wire coming from the turntable that hooks to the signal ground terminal on the receiver.

Jerry

R

ruadmaa

Banned
If your speakers sound good at LOW volume chances are there is no damage. The problem you mentioned with rumble is just one of many associated with vinyl.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis