Vinyl Lover Needs Help W/setup!!!

A

Al1208

Audiophyte
Hello people, I love my records and I have always just listened from my crummy single component record player, however, I have decided to change my ways and I want a decent system for my living room. As of today I have a great Pioneer PL-540 turntable with Infinity Primus 250 tall speakers. I need advice on what kind of amp and/or preamp I need to get the best sound for under $1000.00. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I have the cash now and want to get a move on so I can get my groove on!!! Thanx Al1208

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Yamaha

All Yamaha RX and RX-V series have phono preamps built in. You'll do well with one of these. If you go RX-V, you'll have the additional capability of going to 7.1 if HT is in you future or even present plus you'll get Yamaha's DSP which can really be fun sometimes.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Stereo or more channels?

Al1208 said:
Hello people, I love my records and I have always just listened from my crummy single component record player, however, I have decided to change my ways and I want a decent system for my living room. As of today I have a great Pioneer PL-540 turntable with Infinity Primus 250 tall speakers. I need advice on what kind of amp and/or preamp I need to get the best sound for under $1000.00. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I have the cash now and want to get a move on so I can get my groove on!!! Thanx Al1208
Good place to start before jumping in with recommendatioins.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I believe NAD has an amp and pre-amp combination at or near your stated price range (Stereo). I'm assuming stereo is your goal because reasonable vinyl sound appears to be the goal. If I recall, The Absolute Sound gave a thumbs up to NAD's moving magnet section of their budget stereo pre-amp. Think it was the c-262 or something like that. The power of their amp is not great, however, your Infinity speakers are efficient enough to not cause problems with moderate power.

If you give more specifics such as room size, type of music listened to, percent of home theatre applications, and features desired I'm sure some of the advanced audio enthusiasts wil give some good suggestions.

If you consider the intergrated amplifier option, many units from solid mid-fi companies would fall to your price range (NAD, Paraound, Marantz, etc...)

Good hunting

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I hope your records are okay. Lots of LPs are wrecked by repeatedly being played on "meat grinder" 'tables.

You shouldn't have trouble getting something nice for $1k. There's lots of good dedicated phono preamps for under $200, and lots of good integrated amps you could pick up for $800 (new or used). Jolida makes some nice tube/SS hybrids you can usually get for around $500-600. NAD makes some fine integrateds, too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis