Vintage Rek-o-Cut Turntable

jefferis

jefferis

Audiophyte
Hi folks,
My father-in-law just passed away, and he has a working Rek-O-Cut Rondine Jr. turntable built into a Colonial Reproductions cabinet. Image at web address: flic.kr/p/bJTQXe My mother-in-law is looking to sell it but we are trying to get a value for it. I saw a different model sell on Ebay for $895 built into a box.
This thing has original bill of sale and all the manuals, etc. IT is only 33 RPM and 78 RPM, no 45 rpm. Just curious if anyone has an idea and if they might be interested. She lives on Cape Cod, MA.

Anyone have any idea how to value it? It was top of the line from what I read on the documents when he bought it years ago...

Thanks for your help in this time of grief.
Image at web address: flic.kr/p/bJTQRV

More images available up request

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi folks,
My father-in-law just passed away, and he has a working Rek-O-Cut Rondine Jr. turntable built into a Colonial Reproductions cabinet. Image at web address: flic.kr/p/bJTQXe My mother-in-law is looking to sell it but we are trying to get a value for it. I saw a different model sell on Ebay for $895 built into a box.
This thing has original bill of sale and all the manuals, etc. IT is only 33 RPM and 78 RPM, no 45 rpm. Just curious if anyone has an idea and if they might be interested. She lives on Cape Cod, MA.

Anyone have any idea how to value it? It was top of the line from what I read on the documents when he bought it years ago...

Thanks for your help in this time of grief.
Image at web address: flic.kr/p/bJTQRV

More images available up request
That is a very interesting item and hard to value.

I have had to do quite a bit of research.

The turntable is circa 1955 era. It is a Rel-O-Kut Rondine JR L-37
You have a nice picture of it.

Rek-O-Kut
Rondine JR L-37
Rek-O-Kut Rondine JR

review this turntable
rate/review

Drive
idler drive Motor
induction Control
Automation
Changer
Suspension
Rumble
-40dB Wow and Flutter
0.25% wrms Speeds
33, 78 rpm Platter
Tonearm
none Dimensions
305 x 381 mm Weight
6.8 kg Year
Price
$49.95 (1955)
Notes

It is also in a very nice cabinet.

Out of historic interest, I would love to see a lot of detailed pictures of that cabinet.

Now those turntables were sold without pick up arms, as was usual for transcription turntables of that era. I have not bee able to identify the arm, or cartridge, so more pictures here may be helpful.

At first I thought it was by Shure, but is not.

I have found a photo of one in a collection of British arms, but that one is unidentified. So you need to find out if there is a manufacturer on the arm or cartridge. The arm and cartridge will be the same manufacturer as it is an integral plug in unit and would have had LP and 78 cartridges.

We don't know if the cartridge on it is LP or 78. Is there another cartridge with it?

Now the turntable. I understand it has a very good Swiss Papst induction motor. It is two speed idler drive.

The motor mounts will need replacing at this time.

Now a buyer might be interested in this. There are individuals that restore them and fit modern arms.

The arm, is sprung loaded and will not be usable. Arms of that era had tracking forces in the 7 to 12 GM range and cause permanent groove deformation with a single play.

Your options are to sell the system as is, local pickup. I can't give you a valuation.

You could put the turntable on eBay with a starting bid of $200 and see what happens.

The arm is of historic interest only and will not fetch much. I would put it on with no reserve bid and see what happens.

This site will show you what was around in that era. The Garrard 31 of that era would have seriously outclassed your unit, and they usually sell for about $1200 and if in really good condition a lot more.

Here is a link to my own vintage turntable page, of equipment in my possession.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Thanks TLsGuy for those links. I just finished a rebuild of a Lenco L75 that my old man handed down to me. I found LencoHeaven.com & found a wealth of knowledge there that has helped me every step of the way. I built a new plinth out of 8 3/4" layers-birch ply(6)/mdf(2). I got her up & running this week & I'm absolutely in love with vinyl now!!

Great setup you have by the way!! I'd love to hear some of your equip :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Did you miss these photos among those shown by OP?

This one mentions a General Electric VRII cartidge

And this mentions an Audax Turntable Arm

A Google search came up with similar looking arms
AUDAX TURNTABLE 16 INCH TRANSCRIPTION TONEARM 4 PART (08/03/2010)...
Yes, I did miss the other photos.

That arm is an Audax KT 12. I never knew Audax made pickup arms. So I have learned something. I never saw one in the UK.

The cartridge is apparently the GE VR II, which is a variable reluctance cartridge.

In those days, cartridges were either variable reluctance, moving coil or crystal/ceramic.

Shure introduced the moving magnet type later.

In the early 50s the common cartridges in the variable reluctance category, were the Sugden, which we had at home in the early 50s, the GE and the early Decca, (not the later ffss).

The moving coils were from EMI, and Expert. I think Grampian may have had one also.

The Garrard 301 from 1955 swept all away in the UK. In 1959, with the Decca ffss and integrated arm, this changed everything, with Thorens and Ortofon in hot pursuit. The SME arm appeared and quickly asserted dominance for cartridges other than the Decca ffss.

In the UK turntables were nearly all Garrard 301, mainly, or Thorens, with either Decca ffss, the most common, or Ortofon/SME. That was in the high end rigs anyway. Goldring Lenco also had a definite following.

Really there was not much else in the top end in the UK at that time.

This REK-O-KUT is very similar to the first transcription turntable we had at the OP, 1953. Except ours was a MK I, and was two speed (78 and 331/3), as the 45 rpm discs had not yet appeared

The OP should join the vinyl engine and widely advertize this will be for sale.

The GE cartridge might fetch a little over $150 and may be the same for the arm.

The turntable I will make a guess and think it might fetch as much as $450. So the whole rig might make $700 to $800 or a little more.

You never know how many collectors are out there for this, so you sometimes are just amazed at how much people will pay for this vintage stuff, and at other times it will go for little.

The most important thing is to make sure the vinyl sites are aware of its existence and then put it on Audiogon and eBay.

I think, this is a pretty rare set up.

I love these post, bit spend too much time researching what comes up.

By the way: - OP please load these pictures to the Gallery on the Vinyl engine. This rig needs thoroughly documenting for posterity before being dismantled. The Vinyl engine has a huge gallery and there is nothing quite like this. So it is a rare find.

Putting audio gear in expensive cabinets was common back then, especially in the UK. I have tried to find pictures and history of these magnificent works of art to no avail. The top end was from Largs of Holborn. I do have lots of good black and white pictures in the Hi-Fi Year Books from that era, in my possession. I should see if I can scan them, but I don't want to damage the books. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm convinced there are no pictures on the NET. I have searched and searched.

Last edited:
jefferis

jefferis

Audiophyte
More pictures and information

Hi Folks, THANK YOU for the wealth of information and feedback!
I put up more photos: flickr.com/photos/76966779@N08/sets/ The first 2 streams are new. This one flic.kr/s/aHsjyR4NAm shows the audax up close. It appears that you can set the gram weight to as low as 1 gram. The needle cartridge apparently has 2 needles on it, and you switch from 78 to LP by pushing and turning the cartridge around. There's a close up of the head in this series.

I also put up more photos of the cabinet which has the original design specifications drawn by hand and the letters from Colonial reproductions confirming the plans and contract. I also took some photos of the extra rubber feet and other parts that were not used for this install.

If anyone has more feedback, I'll be grateful. And if you know of any audiophiles on Cape Cod that might be interested, please let me know. We're only with my mother in law for another week.

BTW, what does OP mean (original poster?) and what is the vinyl engine? My wife thinks she also saw more cartridges for this unit, but we're trying to find them now...

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi Folks, THANK YOU for the wealth of information and feedback!
I put up more photos: flickr.com/photos/76966779@N08/sets/ The first 2 streams are new. This one flic.kr/s/aHsjyR4NAm shows the audax up close. It appears that you can set the gram weight to as low as 1 gram. The needle cartridge apparently has 2 needles on it, and you switch from 78 to LP by pushing and turning the cartridge around. There's a close up of the head in this series.

I also put up more photos of the cabinet which has the original design specifications drawn by hand and the letters from Colonial reproductions confirming the plans and contract. I also took some photos of the extra rubber feet and other parts that were not used for this install.

If anyone has more feedback, I'll be grateful. And if you know of any audiophiles on Cape Cod that might be interested, please let me know. We're only with my mother in law for another week.

BTW, what does OP mean (original poster?) and what is the vinyl engine? My wife thinks she also saw more cartridges for this unit, but we're trying to find them now...
Yes, OP is the original poster.

Very nice photographs!

This is the Vinyl Engine site.

That is the most comprehensive site for Vinyl.

Although the arm may track down to 1 GM, the cartridge won't. It is 8 GM minimal tracking.

No one in their right mind is going to play a vinyl disc with that arm or cartridge today. However that cartridge has a definite following of devotees in the 78 rpm shellac disc community.

I see reference in your literature to LEAK and Wharfedale.

Are the amps still in that cabinet? If they should happen to be by LEAK, then they are very valuable. Harold J. Leak made some of the best and may be best ever tube amps. They are highly sought after and fetch very high prices.

For others here is the link to your remarkable photographs.

So I'm curious to know about the rest of this system, pre-amp, amp, tuner and speaker.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

This is the only picture of the REK L37 I could find in the vinyl engine galleries.

As you can see, it has been heavily modified and updated. It has Excel and SME arms.

I suspect that your turntable is headed for similar treatment after purchase.

jefferis

jefferis

Audiophyte
RJ speaker

I see reference in your literature to LEAK and Wharfedale.

Are the amps still in that cabinet? If they should happen to be by LEAK, then they are very valuable. Harold J. Leak made some of the best and may be best ever tube amps. They are highly sought after and fetch very high prices.

So I'm curious to know about the rest of this system, pre-amp, amp, tuner and speaker.
Hi, I've uploaded a picture of the original speaker that came with the system. A Rondine RJ speaker flic.kr/p/bKj3RM I assume it is working. I will connect the entire system later today. My father-in-law had upgraded his system over the years and has a Harmon-Kardon Amp and Advent speakers.
The button on the speaker says: An Authentic Rondine, with large RJ in the middle. Again, thanks for all the help and I will upload all these pictures on the vinyl engine site.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi, I've uploaded a picture of the original speaker that came with the system. A Rondine RJ speaker flic.kr/p/bKj3RM I assume it is working. I will connect the entire system later today. My father-in-law had upgraded his system over the years and has a Harmon-Kardon Amp and Advent speakers.
The button on the speaker says: An Authentic Rondine, with large RJ in the middle. Again, thanks for all the help and I will upload all these pictures on the vinyl engine site.
Thanks it will be very useful to document this on the Vinyl engine.

Good luck with the sale and let us know how it turns out.

If you talk this up on the vinyl sites, like Vinyl engine, I would probably sell it on Audiogon rather than eBay. Your best bet is to talk this up and create a buzz before listing the sale. Don't be too greedy with your asking price, actually the lower the better. With something like this they will not get another chance, and they know it. So you want to get bidders into the game. The more bidders the better your price will be. If the initial price is too high you will limit your bidders.

This is so unusual it is difficult to know what it might fetch. It is just like the Antiques Road Show, and even the experts get surprised fairly often in both directions.

So please post the tally when it is all done.

jefferis

jefferis

Audiophyte
Small LPM with it

Hi folks, I found one of those smaller LP records I thought was a 78 RPM but it turned out it was a 33 RPM in his collection. It was
Dixieland Comes to Carnegie Hall, Stan Rubin & his Tigertown Five, recorded at the Carnegie Hall Performance, November 27, 1954.
RCA Victor LPM -3277. High Fidelity.

Anyway, I put it on and hooked up the equipment and made a video of the unit in action. The sound on my camera video is not anywhere near as nice as it sounds coming through the speaker, but you can get the idea.

I'll put up the link as soon as it processes

jefferis

jefferis

Audiophyte
Vintage Rek-o-Cut turntable in Action

Hi folks, I found one of those smaller LP records I thought was a 78 RPM but it turned out it was a 33 RPM in his collection. It was
Dixieland Comes to Carnegie Hall, Stan Rubin & his Tigertown Five, recorded at the Carnegie Hall Performance, November 27, 1954.
RCA Victor LPM -3277. High Fidelity.

Anyway, I put it on and hooked up the equipment and made a video of the unit in action. The sound on my camera video is not anywhere near as nice as it sounds coming through the speaker, but you can get the idea.

I'll put up the link as soon as it processes
Here's the link folks: youtube.com/watch?v=0BQj2mi7Ot4

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
Hi.

I'm just about done rebuilding a Rek-O-Kut Rondine Jr. L-37 like the OPs (only the turntable, not the same arm or cab.)

Have you found the Rek-O-Kut tips website?
ROKtips

There's also a sticky over at Audiokarma:
Rek-O-Kut Turntables ROK!

The L-34 and L-37s were not the top of the model line, that was the Rondine Deluxe B-12H. Here's a PDF of an original sales flyer:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16387095/rondine.pdf

As for its value; the turntable its self (motor, mounting board, platter) are pretty readily available on eBay for around $100. I paid $90 for mine (shipped). And another $50 (shipped) for the Rek-O-Kut S-120 arm.

With its age, it will need new grommets, which are obtainable also on eBay, There are 7 and can be found anywhere from $4 to $7 each.

It's most important to get even reasonable performance that the idler wheels are good and subtle. They will no doubt need to be rebuilt if they are still original. They're $30 ea to rebuild either by Ed Crockett at Vintage Electronics (he did mine) or by Terry's Rubber Rollers. .

The Rondine Jr L-37 and L-34 (33 and 45rpm) are pretty easy to come by. You may find that that arm is the most valuable part of the unit. I'd consider parting it out. You'd get more for it all that way. Also, If someone is going to try to get the best performance out of yours, they will likely have no use for that cabinet. These decks are best set into a solid layered plinth which drops the noise floor. So taking it out of that cab may make it more attractive to perspective buyers and simplify shipping. I also saw that set of stylus pressure scales sell on eBay for about $30.

Here's mine (so far)

I built the plinth and bought the arm separately. I've got a thread on the project over at AK:
Rek-O-Kut Rondine Jr. L-37 Restoration Begins. - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Anyway, good luck with the sale. Someone will be very happy to give that rig a new home.

:)

Attachments

jefferis

jefferis

Audiophyte
So taking it out of that cab may make it more attractive to perspective buyers and simplify shipping. I also saw that set of stylus pressure scales sell on eBay for about $30.

:)
Thanks. Guys on Vinyl Engine are saying to part it out rather than sell it in the cabinet. No one has given me an estimate of the value of the speaker yet.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks. Guys on Vinyl Engine are saying to part it out rather than sell it in the cabinet. No one has given me an estimate of the value of the speaker yet.
As a stand alone virtually nothing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis