Vintage Gear Department?

D

Drifter

Audioholic Intern
I'm brand new to this site and I really like it. Just wondering if management has considered adding a Vintage Gear forum? Stuff from the 70's & 80's might be interesting.

Just a thought.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm brand new to this site and I really like it. Just wondering if management has considered adding a Vintage Gear forum? Stuff from the 70's & 80's might be interesting.

Just a thought.
I tried that when I joined up, but no dice.

highfigh

highfigh

Equipment from the '70s and '80s is vintage? You're hurtin' me! I started selling it in '78. I'm not really sure that's old enough to be truly 'vintage'- am I wrong? Defnitely not 'classic', with a few exceptions.

highfigh

highfigh

In my opinion, http://www.audiokarma.org, is one of the best forums for the discussion of vintage gear.
They also have the largest group of people who think run of the mill receivers were the best thing, ever. They get all choked up when they talk about seeing a Pioneer SX-525 at a rummage sale and as soon as they pay for it, they hug it for dear life. I had one- it tested at a whopping 13W/ch at 1% THD. Looked nice, though.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
They also have the largest group of people who think run of the mill receivers were the best thing, ever. They get all choked up when they talk about seeing a Pioneer SX-525 at a rummage sale and as soon as they pay for it, they hug it for dear life. I had one- it tested at a whopping 13W/ch at 1% THD. Looked nice, though.
Oh, it's on now buddy boy! :D
I've got an SX-650 that sounds sweeter than any of that high falutin' post Y2K you're listening to. :p :cool:
My sub is from the early nineties too !!! ;)

... but it's a rich 13 watts. :)

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
Yeah a lot of those guys cream over vintage gear and swear by them. You'll see talk of new gear from time to time though. Mostly vintage. A lot of them are still using Reel-to-Reel and single speaker mono setups. Amazing, really.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Oh, it's on now buddy boy! :D
I've got an SX-650 that sounds sweeter than any of that high falutin' post Y2K you're listening to. :p :cool:
My sub is from the early nineties too !!! ;)

... but it's a rich 13 watts. :)
My Marantz 1060 is still kicking strong. I think it was conservatively rated at 30 watts per channel. Still love the front panel balance and frequency controls. :)

Peace and Good Sound!

Forest Man

P.S.- It fits in really nice with a Sangean HDT-1X HD/AM/FM Radio Component Tuner :rolleyes:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I've got a Sansui 7070 sitting around here doing nothing, needs cleaned on the inside. 60 watts per channel.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yeah a lot of those guys cream over vintage gear and swear by them. You'll see talk of new gear from time to time though. Mostly vintage. A lot of them are still using Reel-to-Reel and single speaker mono setups. Amazing, really.
There is nothing wrong with reel to reel except expense. With a fine Revox or similar, good mastering tape, with professional noise reduction, reel to reel is in every way comparable to CD. It is certainly superior to LP. However the hassle factor is very high.

I think a lot of these enthusiasts are collectors of vintage LPs and tapes and also 78.

I have got in the habit of just using my mono center for those recordings. In my view it is superior to double mono from spaced speakers. The effect is much closer to what I remember from the pre stereo era.

There is some vintage gear to feast your eyes on.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
My Marantz 1060 is still kicking strong.
That is a good lookin' unit. ( Leave it alone Doug.) :p :D

I'm pretty sure that when TLS says vintage he doesn't mean budget but the reality is that for certain applications you just don't need much and while a lot of people here are rockin' the latest and the greatest out in the home theater, there are still plenty of us listening to music on older gear in offices, dens and garages. I say we ditch the HTPC forum in favor of a Vintage Gear forum ... except when I need help with my computer. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That is a good lookin' unit. ( Leave it alone Doug.) :p :D

I'm pretty sure that when TLS says vintage he doesn't mean budget but the reality is that for certain applications you just don't need much and while a lot of people here are rockin' the latest and the greatest out in the home theater, there are still plenty of us listening to music on older gear in offices, dens and garages. I say we ditch the HTPC forum in favor of a Vintage Gear forum ... except when I need help with my computer. :D
I completely agree. Although a cheap reel to reel machine would be nothing but a frustration They were out of the box!

I have had most of this gear since new. The A 77s and the Dolby B unit were bought not working and a couple of units in very bad shape, so they were a huge restoration project.

I just can't let good gear go. Probably its a major disorder. I have found though that visitors get as much or more fascination from that equipment than the new gear. So I suppose that makes it some type of museum.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Holy **** I have never looked at your system before, amazing set up. The "back end" room really put it over the top for me.
Getting to the back end, I can assure saves a lot of grovelling and endless frustration!

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Equipment from the '70s and '80s is vintage? You're hurtin' me! I started selling it in '78. I'm not really sure that's old enough to be truly 'vintage'- am I wrong? Defnitely not 'classic', with a few exceptions.
Maybe we also need a "vintage" owners forum. :p

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
There is my favorite room again, TLS Guy. Love the wood with that lighting.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis