Vintage Gear Department?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
This was my vintage find for the day, a pair of original Celestion 3 monitors. I believe the original is a tad rarer than the Celestion 3 mk II which is the ported version of the Celestion 3.

These are some of the sweetest speakers I've ever heard, not joking. And the off axis response is unlike anything I've heard either. The sweet spot is extremely wide even near-field.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
BTW, I agree with you on the TD-125, which is still one of my favorite TTs-a true classic (or vintage, or antique (pick your favorite adjective).
I still have some cassettes made with a TD-125 MK II, ADC XLM III and a TEAC A-860. The quality of those tapes, which would have been made in the late 70's, in particular the bass (I always recorded with headphones, so no room effects on the TT) never a particular strong suit of cassette, is outstanding. Unfortunately, that table, and that deck (which beat any Nak I've ever used, for sound quality), are long gone.

Back before the iPod and CD-R era, I always used cassette for vehicles, because I felt a car is no place for CDs, unless you want to destroy them. I still have a Soundstream player (from back when they were made in California) in the beater truck. I can instantly tell when I pop an old tape made on that combo in the machine; even though they are Dolby B, they sound better than the Dolby C tapes I made later on a Rega 2/Nak CR2A combo.

Last edited:
Coolzrock

Coolzrock

Audioholic Intern
This was my vintage find for the day, a pair of original Celestion 3 monitors. I believe the original is a tad rarer than the Celestion 3 mk II which is the ported version of the Celestion 3.

These are some of the sweetest speakers I've ever heard, not joking. And the off axis response is unlike anything I've heard either. The sweet spot is extremely wide even near-field.

What a surround for that time! Oh man, felt in love (look).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Those are very nice speakers. Celestion had a really good design team then. The tweeter they developed is a very nice unit of unusual design. They are beautifully balanced and voiced. Even with the passage of time they still rank high.

Unfortunately Celestion has been trashed by Gold Peak Industries. A shame, as Celestion used to be among the best of the British speaker companies.

Your speakers were introduced in 1989. The MK II earned the award of European speaker of the year.

I would hang on to those.

None of Celestions current offerings come close to what was produced then.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I have a pair of B+W 801 series 80 speakers that I think are from 1979 but I am not certain. I think they may qualify as vintage.
[/IMG]

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Those are very nice speakers. Celestion had a really good design team then. The tweeter they developed is a very nice unit of unusual design. They are beautifully balanced and voiced. Even with the passage of time they still rank high.

Unfortunately Celestion has been trashed by Gold Peak Industries. A shame, as Celestion used to be among the best of the British speaker companies.

Your speakers were introduced in 1989. The MK II earned the award of European speaker of the year.

I would hang on to those.

None of Celestions current offerings come close to what was produced then.
Gold Peak (Hong Kong) owns the Celestion and KEF brands. Fortunately KEF still has an excellent R&D department and remains competitive in the high end speaker market along side the renowned Bower & Wilkins. We are agreed that Celestion as a brand has been trashed and they have made several sad attempts at penetrating the mass market with speakers that are looks first, sound second.

V

Victor rODRIGUEZ

Audioholic Intern
Seth you will not find other speakers like that. I have 5 and I will never let go of them

V

Victor rODRIGUEZ

Audioholic Intern
Perfecy Marriage whit yours teac 300 reference series

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis