Video Upscaling via A/V Receiver - Worth It?

427L

Audiophyte
All,

Hello, I am brand spankin new to this site so forgive me if this question sounds in-experienced. I'm looking at purchasing a A/V receiver which has Faruadja video scaling from 480i to 720p or 1080i (Pioneer 82TXS & Yamaha RX-V2700). Can someone explain to me how much better of a picture the scaler makes the non-HD signal look. I would really like to see the difference myself but I am having a hard time finding a store which can actually demo this feature for me so before I put down on one of these receivers I figured I'd atleast you all. Also have you experienced any shortcomings from the HDMI switching or upconverting on these models? Thanks for the help!

427L

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
A HD TV has one and only one native resolution and thus can only display images in that resolution. Any signal that has a resolution that does not match the TV's native resolution must be scaled (and deinterlaced if it is interlaced). The TV includes a deinterlacer and scaler to do it but another scaler may do a better job.

Faroudja scalers are highly regarded but that does not necessarily mean it will make a 480i signal look markedly better than having the TV do the scaling. If the TV resolution matches a HD resolution like 720p (1280 x 720) then the issue is whether the Faroudja scaler does a better job of deinterlacing and scaling 480i to 720p than the TV itself. If the TV has a resolution like 1366 x 768 (very common) then I see no point in having an outboard scaler scale the image from 480i to 720p only to have the TV turn around and scale the 720p to 768p.

As usual the only way to determine if there is any merit to having the scaling done by the receiver (or dvd player) before it hits the TV is to try it and see which you prefer.

Despite the marketing hype there is no such thing as converting a standard def image to 'high def quality'. The image can never be any better than the source - it will be larger and may look damn good but it is still a SD image scaled to a larger size.

J

jocjo13

Enthusiast
I'm interested in the HDMI switching capabilities but always had the same question about the deinterlacing and scaling of recievers. Thank you MDS for the informative post. However, does the scaling capability justify the price? If my cable box provides an hdmi connection will the reciever even do anything with the signal? I have a DVD player with faroudja scaling for progressive scan. Would I get any benefit from an upconverting receiver other than allowing all video sources to pass to my tv via hdmi?
Thanks again.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I keep it simple. All video goes directly to the display and all audio goes directly to the receiver. A Harmony remote does one button switching and more. My connection from the cable box is DVI and component from the DVD player. The picture quality is great.

Nick

Z

zoran

Audioholic
I think it is mite! if you have upscaling player or HD DVD, or blue ray player!

I'll upscale in my dvd player instead of reciever or TV! and I personaly do not think upscaling a VCR, S VIDEO, component connection to HDMI will make a big difference but I never tried it!

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
if you are looking at the elite 82 i would just spring up for the 84

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
I wouldn't bother making your decision based on the receivers scaling capablities. Video is usually more of an after thought for receiver companies. Your TVs scaler is probably better. If you want really good scaling your best bet is to purchase a good outboard scaler (DVDO, Lumagen, etc).

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
JonBaker99 said:
I wouldn't bother making your decision based on the receivers scaling capablities. Video is usually more of an after thought for receiver companies. Your TVs scaler is probably better. If you want really good scaling your best bet is to purchase a good outboard scaler (DVDO, Lumagen, etc).
Not always an after tought. ;)

The Anthem AVM50 and D2 are both using the Gennum VXP chip for de-interlacing and scaling, with true inverse telecine and per-pixel motion adaptive de-interlacing, even with 1080i.

The AVM50/D2 can now do (with the latest firmware upgrade) custom resolutions, multiple per-input memory banks, custom gamma curves, one of the best CUE filtering in the industry, anamorphic stretching, frame-locking, and they even accept 1080p24 and properly ouput 1080p48 if you need it (really useful with the new Blu-ray players outputting 1080p24...)

I was able to compare the DVDO VP50 to the D2, and the D2 was better for alot of things. And don't forget that you don't have the headaches you can get with passing the new HD audio formats with those external scalers when everything is done in the pre/pro (or the receiver).

2 of my friends sold their Lexicon + VP50 combos to go with the D2 instead, and put alot of money back in their pockets. And they both prefer the D2 now...

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
apatel25314 said:
if you are looking at the elite 82 i would just spring up for the 84
Great advice especially since the 84 has mosfets rather than the bi-polar transistors found on the 82.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
LEVESQUE said:
Not always an after tought. ;)

The Anthem AVM50 and D2 are both using the Gennum VXP chip for de-interlacing and scaling, with true inverse telecine and per-pixel motion adaptive de-interlacing, even with 1080i.

The AVM50/D2 can now do (with the latest firmware upgrade) custom resolutions, multiple per-input memory banks, custom gamma curves, one of the best CUE filtering in the industry, anamorphic stretching, frame-locking, and they even accept 1080p24 and properly ouput 1080p48 if you need it (really useful with the new Blu-ray players outputting 1080p24...)

I was able to compare the DVDO VP50 to the D2, and the D2 was better for alot of things. And don't forget that you don't have the headaches you can get with passing the new HD audio formats with those external scalers when everything is done in the pre/pro (or the receiver).

2 of my friends sold their Lexicon + VP50 combos to go with the D2 instead, and put alot of money back in their pockets. And they both prefer the D2 now...
Like I said...Usually an after thought. I was primarily refering to mostly consumer level gear. The Anthem D2 is a hell of a piece :)

M

musicdude

Audiophyte
D2 vs AVM 30

Like I said...Usually an after thought. I was primarily refering to mostly consumer level gear. The Anthem D2 is a hell of a piece :)
Its apparent you are satisfied with your D2. I'm considering Anthem for my equipment upgrade.
Any comments on the AVM 30/40/50. And what made you decide on the D2?
Any 1-2 deciding factors.
What are the price differences?

Any comments will assist in my decision making.

Thanks

Musicdude:confused:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis