Video "noise" help.....

B

bigbang

Audioholic Intern
I've got a Pio Elite dvd hooked up to a Mits DLP via component cable (15'). Has worked for about 2 years.

All of the sudden I have not quite horizontal lines (maybe 20 degree angle) that move horizontally up AND down the screen at a varying rate. They are VERY faint, but noticable enought to make me not watch a dvd.

My system is on a dedicated 20amp circuit. I have gone to the extent of killing all other breakers in the house and plugging in only the tv an dvd player with and without a Panamax conditioner and still have this issue. I tried both component inputs on the tv with no chage.

The lines do not appear on any other source but the dvd player. They are not there when using the s-video out from the player.

Does this sound like a player output problem, cable problem, or the tv input?

I don't have any other sources with component output to test the cable/input, or an extra componenet cable either.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Just for a no cost test, try checking your 15' long component cable; as to it's proximity to AC power cabling.
Has some equipment in your system been added or moved, that has changed the location of AC power cords?
Fifteen feet is on the long side, as far as being an antenna for EMI.

Make sure your jacks are pushed in all the way.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
If it's possible, temporarily hook up your DVD player with short cables.
See if that makes a difference. Also that will rule out the cable, or AC cable interference, being the problem.

The next step would be to rule out the source DVD player as the problem.
Can you borrow a friends DVD player, and hook it up temporarily?

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
Are the only cables that you have connected?:
1. Power to TV
2. Power to DVD
3. Component from DVD to TV

If that's true then I would check the DVD player as Rickster mentioned. If not then I would disconnect those cables to see if that does anything. If disconnecting cables makes the problem go away you could then reconnect things one at a time until you find a combination that seems to cause the problem.

B

bigbang

Audioholic Intern
Rickster71, I would love to be able to swap out cables or players, but my friends within an hour or two of driving are all low fi (composite or s-video).

I'll have to purchase a cable to determine if that is the cause. I'm thinking I'll pick one up at Menards and return it if it doesn't solve the problem (Holidays are usually easy to make returns).

Alamar, yes, I had it down to ONLY the tv and dvd plugged into a dedicated circuit.

It's either the component cable, dvd output, or tv input.

I'll pick up a component cable and if that doesn't solve it, I'll drag the player to where I purchased it a couple years ago and see if they'll hook it up to one of their sets. That will tell the story.

I was just wondering what would be more likey to fail. Cables, dvd output or tv input.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
One more test;)

Disconnect your cable TV video and audio from the wall or from the cable box, totally.

B

bigbang

Audioholic Intern
Dishbox was uplugged from the wall as well as s-video cable from tv.

TV and DVD player were the only items pluggin in and hooked to each other.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Dishbox was uplugged from the wall as well as s-video cable from tv.

TV and DVD player were the only items pluggin in and hooked to each other.
I presume the audio cable from the box was also disconnected?

The angle of that line is not what usually appears with a ground loop cause line crawl but have to eliminate most logical causes.
After that:eek: and this is a new problem.

Do you have access to another TV? Friend? Family, to borrow to eliminate the TV?
Or, another DVD player? All these are free before you try the component cable buy. Any other cables that could substitute for component for a test?

B

bigbang

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the suggestions.

Audio was disconnected (goes to pre/pro anyway, not tv).

I was wondering about the "angle" myself.

I guess I'll look for a tv with component input and haul my cable and dvd player to that.

Wish me luck. I hope it is an inexpensive fix.!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks for the suggestions.

Audio was disconnected (goes to pre/pro anyway, not tv).

I was wondering about the "angle" myself.

I guess I'll look for a tv with component input and haul my cable and dvd player to that.

Wish me luck. I hope it is an inexpensive fix.!
Well, just because your audio cable was going to the pre/pro it can still cause the ground loop as the cable TV is connected in one way or the other to the system, in this case the audio cable to the pro/pro and then back to the TV through the video cable. That is why it is imperative that ALL cables connected with the cable TV coming into the house is disconnected totally from the system. But in your case, you did this and still there.

Before you go and find another TV, do another experiment since you have component connected. Actually, two experiments;)
1- while this line is visible, disconnect one of the component cable and see if the line is still there or gone. Do it to all three component cables, one at a time. If one cable stops this line appearing, that is a faulty cable.
2- use another video source, not component, and see if the line is still there, or only with component.

B

bigbang

Audioholic Intern
I see what you r saying on the loop part.

I already tried #2. No lines with any other input. S-video from the dvd player in questions is fine. S-vid from dish box is fine. HD over air waves fine. Computer input no issues.

I did take the cable and player to a friends last night. However his screen is set up so bad and so dirty, I couldn't tell if the lines were there or not. Don't know how he can watch that thing. My 10 yr old tube tv looks better than that.

I'll try the one component cable at a time thing. Will I even get a picture???

Thanks for all the input.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I'll try the one component cable at a time thing. Will I even get a picture???

Thanks for all the input.
Well, you will get sort of a picture;) not a complete picture but, hopefully, it might display that line or not. And, after the three cable test, it might show if one was at fault when the line disappears. Do you have any video cables in your spare parts bin, the old fashioned yellow will do as well.

B

bigbang

Audioholic Intern
Blue screen when I unplug any of the 3 component cables.

Good news is I did find another set of component cables. Bad new, it's either my player or tv.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Blue screen when I unplug any of the 3 component cables.

Good news is I did find another set of component cables. Bad new, it's either my player or tv.
Well, let's hope it is just the player's component video section as the others are ok. Try to test it with another player, somehow. Or, can you take it someplace with your component wire and plug it into the TV, an audio/video store?

Frustrating, isn't it.:eek:

B

bigbang

Audioholic Intern
Took the Pio in to the dealer where I bought it (happens to be a Mits dealer too). Pio played fine.
Guy behind counter decribes my problem to a t. Says they had a tech make 4 trips before he found a power supply in the Mits tv that was bad.
Now if I can convince my extended warranty supplier it's not a ground problem!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis