Vibraphone and or xylophone fans?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm no aficionado but do love Cal Tjader (even got to see him live a few times in club settings in San Francisco)....Roy Ayers is another favorite. Anyone else?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wtf is a vibraphone? Sounds like a sex toy! :p

Okay, tagging this thread so I can get me some vibraphone experience.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My wife. Owns and plays a vibraphone, a xylophone, and a marimba. And three drum kits, conga drums, a piano, and a gong. We don't lack for percussion instruments or percussion playing in our house.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My wife. Owns and plays a vibraphone, a xylophone, and a marimba. And three drum kits, conga drums, a piano, and a gong. We don't lack for percussion instruments or percussion playing in our house.
Is that explanation of differences I posted just now up to snuff?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I shouldn't forget Ruth Underwood....
You might have forgotten Milt Jackson, the famous vibraphonist playing in the Modern Jazz Quartet.

I have the American version of this amazing CD:

Another excellent CD featuring him with the Modern Jazz Quartet:
This European Concert recording received a 5 Star rating from Down Beat reviews.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might have forgotten Milt Jackson, the famous vibraphonist playing in the Modern Jazz Quartet.

I have the American version of this amazing CD:

Another excellent CD featuring him with the Modern Jazz Quartet:
This European Concert recording received a 5 Star rating from Down Beat reviews.
I've listened to Milt some in the past, will check these out.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I've listened to Milt some in the past, will check these out.
How about marimba?

Here is a video of a Camille Saint-Saëns' violin fantasy entitled "Introduction & Rondo Capricioso" played on the marimba by Anne-Julie Caron, a young Canadian virtuoso. I had goose bumps when I listened to it today!

And the video with Joshua Bell, virtuoso violinist and current conductor of the Academy of St Martin in the Fields, playing the original written piece:

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about marimba?

Here is a video of a Camille Saint-Saëns' violin fantasy entitled "Introduction & Rondo Capricioso" played on the marimba by Anne-Julie Caron, a young Canadian virtuoso. I had goose bumps when I listened to it today!

And the video with Joshua Bell, virtuoso violinist and current conductor of the Academy of Saint Martin-in- the Fields, playing the original written piece:

Not my taste in music particularly....but very nice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My introduction to Cal Tjader (heard during a Laserium show)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ruth Underwood explaining that Zappa thing she did so well....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In the article, it says that the xylophone is the most popular instrument in the percussion family. That is inexact! It's the piano!
I have no idea how that ranks. Personally I vote for drums....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Except that a drum cannot produce a real melody that a piano or a xylophone can do.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In the article, it says that the xylophone is the most popular instrument in the percussion family. That is inexact! It's the piano!
Just compare the number of LPs and CDs with the piano with those featuring a xylophone.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis