VHS/DVD Recorders NTSC/ATSC/QAM

SWHouston

SWHouston

Enthusiast
OK!, I've done my penance and can't find any Post which addresses this issue ! :confused:

Just for starters, I'll mention some units I've looked at:
LG(s) DR787T & RC797T, Toshiba(s) D-R550 & D-VR650.

The above are DVD Recorders (not HDD) (a couple with VHS Tape ability) but all have Analog, Digital and QAM Tuners in them.

My situation is, I have an "Attic" Antenna VHF-UHF-FM, and Comcast Dig Pkg.
I wanna see/record the OTA NTSC/Analog Ch 2-69,
the OTA ATSC/Digital Ch 2.1-69.whatever,
and the PTV Cable too (via the QAM Tuner).

I've looked at the above units specifications (not an easy chore) and can't find any that have more than one "F" connector for the Antenna Input.

What I want to do is, feed my House Antenna in to the NTSC and ATSC, and the other feed for the Digital Cable into the QAM Tuner. Actually three (one for each) would be nice !

Does anyone know of a Unit which has two (2) Antenna inputs (minimum) for OTA Antenna and PTV Cable ?

Note: with the understanding that the Unit hopefully will internally split the NTSC and ATSC inside it,
and give me two sources to select channels (analog and digital),
and a third tier of Ch Selection for the QAM (Ch 2-1 thru 136-????)

UKK, I've just re-read this, and I'm not even sure I understand it ! :D

Have a good Day ! :)

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I believe that most VCRs have a button that says "TV/VCR" which will switching tuning between NTSC/ATSC and QAM tuners. This way you will be able to tune to any of the channels through a single F connection input and you simply use a 2 to 1 combiner to bring the cable and off-air signals together.

I'm not sure about ATSC recording... I guess it should work alright, but DVD and VHS are both SDTV, not HDTV compatible, so if you tune to a HD channel the VCR would either have to convert it to 480i for recording or wouldn't allow recording. I've never played with it though.

SWHouston

SWHouston

Enthusiast
BMX,
Thanks for your prompt and informative reply ! :)

Gees!, I hope it's that simple, otherwise I'm going to have to buy a recorder for each one, nes pa? (actually already have one installed on the NTSC line)

Also, I may be asking a LOT from the Auto Program function, to go through all those channels!

Maybe a unit like I'm looking for, just doesn't exist?

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
JVC; DVD Video Recorder & VHS Hi-Fi Ster

If you havn't seen this one yet here is the link.
DR-MV99B

I think it has every thing you are looking for

SWHouston

SWHouston

Enthusiast
hyghwayman,

THANK YOU, for the reference ! Have a bunch of JVC already, good stuff !

I looked at the URL you gave, but, couldn't bring up a "rear" view of the piece.
And, in looking at the "terminals" section, it appears that there is only one "F" connector, from what I can see. :(

What I was hoping for, was an individual "F" connector for all three of the Tuners, or, two at minimum, one for the NTSC/ATSC, and another for the QAM. I don't think the MV99B has but one "F" terminal.

I DO see where one can input other signals into it, but, those being through one of the component or HDMI inputs, therefore limiting the Recording ability of the machine, to what ever channel one has selected, and must leave the Host Channel unit on that channel, waiting for the program to be shown to record it.

Never the less, THANKS for your help with this, but I think I still need to look around more. Surely some manufacturer has seen the value of having multiple inputs like I want !?

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Oh:eek:, ok I see what you are wanting now.
Would it be possible to use a diplexer.

or something reversed of a splitter?:confused:

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Here's another on I found,

" * Combine a cable carrying signals from an antenna or CATV with the cable from the satellite dish, or
* Split a cable carrying both types of signals into their separate components.
* Looks and connects just like a regular splitter/combiner, but works with DSS signals! "

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis