Very small room and speaker configuration/placement

D

Dave Cook

Audiophyte
Hi guys. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to go 7.1 or 5.1.2 At the moment, I have 5.1 I have some s55 available to use as side surrounds, but I'm thinking maybe instead get some ceiling speakers for atmos.

I have a denon s960H.
svs ultra center, prime pinnacles, polk s55, polk lsim 702 f/x

My AVR can do 5.1.2 or 7.1 Problem is, my room is difficult, and the movie area is very small. The couch is off the wall, but I fear it is still too close to get enough separation between the rears and sides. I measured distances and figured out the angles - sides are at 90 and the rears are about 53 degrees. This seems to follow the dolby guidelines for speaker placement, but they don't really specify anything about what is too far or too close.

I've included some pictures that show exact room layout and correct size of seating etc... the only thing not set is the side surrounds.

Would you go ahead and do 7.1 or are they too close and I should just go for 5.1.2?

Attachments

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would always advocate for 5.1.2 over 7.1, but in your room especially. From the diagram, imo the rear surrounds wouldn’t have enough separation from the side surrounds.

D

Dave Cook

Audiophyte
Thank you for your response, I will go with the 5.1.2. Now to decide between in ceiling and on ceiling speakers! The decisions are endless!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis