Very new to audio and need help buying cables for a JBL 305p and JBL LSR310S Subwoofer for a desktop setup.

S

Shandoeluna

Audiophyte
I got the JBL 305P and JBL LSR310S upon recommendations I saw online. I know I need to buy cables for it, but not sure what type exactly for PC and the subwoofer. I need a DAC for them too as I read without an external DAC the computer sound card would make it very noisy. If any recommendations for a DAC too. Though I been considering buying a Sennheiser HD 6XX and those need an AMP I believe. If there is any good dac/amp within $50-$200 range or just a DAC for the JBLs is fine.

I think I need two XLR cable for the speakers?

Not sure what I would need for the subwoofer. I think Balanced XLR and 1/4" connectors too?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd settle on DAC if you're going that route first so you know what connectors it needs. I'd look thru the dac reviews on audiosciencereview.com for ideas. The DAC in your computer may be fine, as could be its use with headphones, but many do go the external dac/headphone amp route. Appropriate cables can be had for either your pc or the dac, tho. It wouldn't necessarily be balanced from a DAC and very unlikely from a pc....but you will need XLR or TRS-1/4" connectors for the JBLs as they have no rca inputs. You can use L/R xlr inputs on the sub then run xlr to xlr cables from sub to speakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The cables you need to get depend on the DAC you end up with. You are probably going to need a bunch of balanced TRS cables.

The one DAC I can recommend is the MOTU M4. The reason is it has enough balanced outputs to support both your speakers and your sub, and it also has enough of a headphone amp to drive your headphones. That is a very uncommon combination in the price range you are looking at, and maybe the only one that can even do all that you want under $400.

The system you bought is a bit involved compared to normal audio set ups, and you probably should have done a bit more homework before pulling the trigger on these components. Nonetheless, it is all good stuff, and if you take the time to set it up right, it should sound very good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The cables you need to get depend on the DAC you end up with. You are probably going to need a bunch of balanced TRS cables.

The one DAC I can recommend is the MOTU M4. The reason is it has enough balanced outputs to support both your speakers and your sub, and it also has enough of a headphone amp to drive your headphones. That is a very uncommon combination in the price range you are looking at, and maybe the only one that can even do all that you want under $400.

The system you bought is a bit involved compared to normal audio set ups, and you probably should have done a bit more homework before pulling the trigger on these components. Nonetheless, it is all good stuff, and if you take the time to set it up right, it should sound very good.
The dac need not supply outputs for the speakers with this setup, as the sub is suited for direct connection to the speakers (actually the easiest part to plan for here would be connections from sub to speaker).

ps Going direct from sub to speakers would bypass the bit of bass management available via the sub, too.

S

Shandoeluna

Audiophyte
I'd settle on DAC if you're going that route first so you know what connectors it needs. I'd look thru the dac reviews on audiosciencereview.com for ideas. The DAC in your computer may be fine, as could be its use with headphones, but many do go the external dac/headphone amp route. Appropriate cables can be had for either your pc or the dac, tho. It wouldn't necessarily be balanced from a DAC and very unlikely from a pc....but you will need XLR or TRS-1/4" connectors for the JBLs as they have no rca inputs. You can use L/R xlr inputs on the sub then run xlr to xlr cables from sub to speakers.
What kind of DAC would you recommend? I saw some people on reddit discuss buying a ground loop thing, but not sure what type to buy. Does brand matter for the cables? I seen people recommend Schitt Modi 3 dac.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What kind of DAC would you recommend? I saw some people on reddit discuss buying a ground loop thing, but not sure what type to buy. Does brand matter for the cables?
I'm not an external dac user so really don't follow what's out there but audiosciencereview not only has a lot of technical reviews but a lot of knowledgeable users for advice. Ground loops can happen with all sorts of gear, tho....hard to anticipate whether that will be an issue. Brand doesn't matter a lot for cables, as long as they're of good construction and suited for the application the vast majority are just fine. Don't fall for the cable bullshit from the likes of Audioquest (Fraudioquest), Nordost, MIT, Tara, etc. Amazon, Monoprice are good sources.....if you do want to spend a bit more maybe something from Blue Jeans Cable. Or just diy....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis