Very little sound with CD playback

P

penpitt

Audioholic
Today I went to play some CD's on my setup but the volume is so faint I can barely hear it. However when I pay DVD's the volume is plenty loud. The 2 components used are a Yamaha RX-V1700 and an Oppo DV-980H. I can swap out a DVD, which plays plenty loud at -30 on the volume, for a CD and the music is very faint. I use the Oppo for both DVD and CD. I tried the same exact settings on numerous CD/DVD and always the CD plays significantly quieter than DVD. Any Ideas what could be causing this?

P

penpitt

Audioholic
I forgot to mention that. It is hooked up via HDMI.I am not using any optical outputs or analog outputs. On the receiver the only thing that changes is for DVD's I use a Movie DSP and for CD I switch to 2 or 7 channel. But even if I just swap discs without changing any settings, CD's play lower volume.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Check the HDMI settings in the player then, there is probably a different setting for CDs and it may have to do with how the PCM is output over HDMI. CDs and DVDs are handled differently, which is likely why you see this issue only for CDs even though I believe the same DACs are used for both CDs and DVDs. I never used HDMI for audio with my 980, only analog, so I don't recall the exact settings that are available. I would also connect up the 2ch analog and verify that it plays correctly.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
if your using multi-channel stereo settings on your receiver it may be the problem, if i use multi-channel stereo on mine the volume significantly drops, try making sure the receiver is set to auto.

P

penpitt

Audioholic
After going over the manuals and connections several times over the last few hours, I can find nothing wrong. Everything has been set the same for the last few years and my wife last played a cd a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. Is it possible that something inside the Oppo may be the problem. Maybe it decodes cd's and dvd's differently.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's why I recommended trying analog. If it does the same thing, then something is wrong with the player. If it sounds normal, then it is either a setting in the player or the receiver or something else is wrong inside the player. If you can find a factory reset in the manual, that is something else I would try. Do you have the latest firmware? Contact Oppo customer service as well, they are usually pretty good about helping with these things if it isn't something actually broken.

P

penpitt

Audioholic
That's why I recommended trying analog. If it does the same thing, then something is wrong with the player.
I'll have to see if I have any analog cables lying around somewhere. I'm sure I do but it's just a question of where.

Edit. I just called Oppo customer service and they fixed the problem in about 15 seconds. It seems there is a master volume that you need to adjust using the Oppo remote. It was down to 5 and should be at 20. Why that would only affect CD and not DVD i do not know. I also don't know how it got changed since you have to use the original remote and mine has been in a box for a couple of years until I took it out today to try and fix the original problem.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis