Verizon FiOS Router Upgrade

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I recently got an e-mail from Verizon recommending activating a new feature, to wit.

A software upgrade was recently pushed to your router allowing you to create a Self-Organizing Network (SON). This enhancement lets your devices move seamlessly between 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi signals, ultimately optimizing your devices Wi-Fi connection.

i was wondering if any of you guys/gals activated the feature and your impressions of it.

Thanks

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I recently got an e-mail from Verizon recommending activating a new feature, to wit.

A software upgrade was recently pushed to your router allowing you to create a Self-Organizing Network (SON). This enhancement lets your devices move seamlessly between 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi signals, ultimately optimizing your devices Wi-Fi connection.

i was wondering if any of you guys/gals activated the feature and your impressions of it.

Thanks
If I'm reading that correctly it sounds like all the new feature does is allow the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands to have the same SSID. That's not really new, but is helpful in auto negotiating what device needs to be on what band. Or when signals get low it can switch to a different band without service interruption.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
If I'm reading that correctly it sounds like all the new feature does is allow the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands to have the same SSID. That's not really new, but is helpful in auto negotiating what device needs to be on what band. Or when signals get low it can switch to a different band without service interruption.
That's correct and only one SSID name will now be recognized. I'm still on the fence about it, since I don't have any 5G devices, except our cell phones. I'm going to wait till after the holidays to implement it if I decide to go full-steam ahead, since I have to re-configure some of my network attached devices, like my modified Lynksys Wi-Fi extender(s)/routers. It's a necessity in my house; certain sections have 2 foot stone walls on the first floor.

I'm just checking in with you guys to see if there were any hidden Easter eggs. Plus I'm not doing cartwheels about having to go thru a mobile app to activate it.

Here's the rest of the instructions.

Follow these steps to activate the Self-Organizing Network feature:
Download the My Fios app on your mobile phone (if you don't already have it).
Within the My Fios app, go to Internet, then to Self-Organized Network.
Choose Potentially Impacted Devices.
Devices that are actively connected to 5Ghz will appear. Any devices that are showing connected to 5Ghz will need to be switched to 2.4Ghz to initiate the Self-Organizing Network.
Ensure all devices listed are now connected
to 2.4GHz
Return to Self-Organizing Network in the My Fios app and turn the toggle switch to ON to complete activation.
For SON support, visit verizon.com/sonsupport

And the benefits.
What does this mean for you?
When SON is enabled, only one Wi-Fi name and password will be available. The one you currently use for 2.4GHz. The 5GHz Wi-Fi name will no longer appear.
Your single Wi-Fi name will now support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi signals. Having one Wi-Fi name and password enables the SON feature to help manage your devices to the most optimal connection.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's correct and only one SSID name will now be recognized. I'm still on the fence about it, since I don't have any 5G devices, except our cell phones. I'm going to wait till after the holidays to implement it if I decide to go full-steam ahead, since I have to re-configure some of my network attached devices, like my modified Lynksys Wi-Fi extender(s)/routers. It's a necessity in my house; certain sections have 2 foot stone walls on the first floor.

I'm just checking in with you guys to see if there were any hidden Easter eggs. Plus I'm not doing cartwheels about having to go thru a mobile app to activate it.

Here's the rest of the instructions.
Follow these steps to activate the Self-Organizing Network feature:
Download the My Fios app on your mobile phone (if you don't already have it).
Within the My Fios app, go to Internet, then to Self-Organized Network.
Choose Potentially Impacted Devices.
Devices that are actively connected to 5Ghz will appear. Any devices that are showing connected to 5Ghz will need to be switched to 2.4Ghz to initiate the Self-Organizing Network.
Ensure all devices listed are now connected
to 2.4GHz
Return to Self-Organizing Network in the My Fios app and turn the toggle switch to ON to complete activation.
For SON support, visit verizon.com/sonsupport

And the benefits.
What does this mean for you?
When SON is enabled, only one Wi-Fi name and password will be available. The one you currently use for 2.4GHz. The 5GHz Wi-Fi name will no longer appear.
Your single Wi-Fi name will now support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi signals. Having one Wi-Fi name and password enables the SON feature to help manage your devices to the most optimal connection.
Yeah, that doesn't sound fun. I try as hard as I can to not use the carrier provided stuff, but sometimes there is no choice.

Good luck.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis