T

triumph

Audiophyte
I am comparing a Vel dls 5000 to a svs pci 30-29. Currently the dls was sent back input sensor. I have had this for 3 months and for not hearing any other subs, it sounds i guess ok. Now I have bought a used 20-39 pci and not hearing it I would like to no how they compare. Which one would you prefer. Please if you can give me some input. Thanks Doug

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i believe the SVS has lower extension (I prefer this one), smaller footprint

but the velo is capable of spectacularly loud SPL's (600 watts), has a remote

personally, I'd use them both

Last edited:
R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Both are great subs...I think you'll like the SVS a bit better due to the added extention. I guess you'll find out soon enough :D .

B

BassHead

Banned
mike c said:
i believe the SVS has lower extension (I prefer this one), smaller footprint

but the velo is capable of spectacularly loud SPL's (600 watts), has a remote

personally, I'd use them both
I have read a test some where on the dd15

Last edited:
shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
triumph said:
I am comparing a Vel dls 5000 to a svs pci 30-29. Currently the dls was sent back input sensor. I have had this for 3 months and for not hearing any other subs, it sounds i guess ok. Now I have bought a used 20-39 pci and not hearing it I would like to no how they compare. Which one would you prefer. Please if you can give me some input. Thanks Doug
I missed that 30-29 in the lineup. I however have a 20-39. Does everything i ask it to do and more.

T

triumph

Audiophyte
You know when ever I ask about the 20-39+, I always get the same results. Can't beat it, it's the best. Well having made mistakes with the velodyn, I now am going to wrap this up and puchase the 20-39+. My problem is research. I did my best, but I think I came up short with the purchase of the vel. I talked to Erik at svs and they can have one out early next week. I will compare the 20-39+ with a 20-39 pci and the velodyne which is being repaired. You may want to check the want adds because I can't keep them all. I will unload them. Thanks as usual for all your feedback, Doug

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I have read a test some where on the dd15 and a pc 20-39 + and have seen threads on owners going to svs over the dd15,You will find velo do have lots of problems as well with most of their models,it was a good match up the both of them but svs had much better depth and cleaner.
Sorry, this made me laugh:D The only reason someone would take a pc 20-39 + over a DD15 is if they didn't want to be evicted by the neighbors or to save some dough(Although the pc 20-39 + is an extremely good sub for it's price). It just sounds like someone trying to justify their hip pocket, many people don't know what clean sounds/feels like.

The DD15's(and many other servo controlled subs) transient response would slaughter most other subs, it's a matter of design and physics(trying to overcome this in the past has been to throw more power at the speaker to help control it). There's nothing like hearing lightning fast beats completely separated from each other rather than being mashed together in one wobbly bass-note, and having the sub finish a fast-note completely yet hear the tail end of the vibration from the shock wave still shaking the room.

You will find velo do have lots of problems as well with most of their models
I'm assuming you have completed a Major survey of numerous companies customer service and warranty departments to see if this is above the average for product faults, as I have 2 Velodyne subs(one I've had for over 5 years) and neither have ever malfunctioned or been in for servicing.

cheers:)

Last edited:
shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
MACCA350 said:
Sorry, this made me laugh:D The only reason someone would take a pc 20-39 + over a DD15 is if they didn't want to be evicted by the neighbors or to save some dough(Although the pc 20-39 + is an extremely good sub for it's price). It just sounds like someone trying to justify their hip pocket, many people don't know what clean sounds/feels like.

The DD15's(and many other servo controlled subs) transient response would slaughter most other subs, it's a matter of design and physics(trying to overcome this in the past has been to throw more power at the speaker to help control it). There's nothing like hearing lightning fast beats completely separated from each other rather than being mashed together in one wobbly bass-note, and having the sub finish a fast-note completely yet hear the tail end of the vibration from the shock wave still shaking the room.

I'm assuming you have completed a Major survey of numerous companies customer service and warranty departments to see if this is above the average for product faults, as I have 2 Velodyne subs(one I've had for over 5 years) and neither have ever malfunctioned or been in for servicing.

I like what you talking about,its just what my 20-39 does so i can only guess what the plus does. BTW,whats the price of the plus and the 15?

L

lurker10

Audiophyte
Can't agree more...

To me, it can't get much better than a DD-15. I own one, but I also own an SVS (albeit a medium sized one, not the monster you are talking about). They are two different animals.

The DD, as mentioned, is a servo sub that is in a sealed box. It can shake my room no problem, but I use it exclusively for two channel music now. Because of the built in digital EQ, which they are now selling separately, you can get the response to be very flat across the whole range. It is so phenomenally tight and accurate as only a servo can be, it is in a league by itself. I used it for HT before building a separate two channel setup, and it was unbelievable.

The SVS is a great HT sub, in my opinion. Its purpose in life is more tilted toward maximum SPL, as it's a ported sub, although it's decent for music. But there's no comparison in things like string bass between the two. So, if you want max SPL and good performance for movies, you can't beat SVS. But if you want the best music reproduction, the DD-15 is beyond reproach. The DD is relatively expensive, though, so that's always a factor.

That's my opinion.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
lurker, the question is, CAN the dd do what the SVS does in HT use?

L

lurker10

Audiophyte
I can't compare model for model, as I don't have the bigger SVS. However, I never turned my DD up very high to get LFE effects that bordered on the ludicrous. I'm not into pure SPL, but rather good SPL with high quality articulation. I often read threads, though, where guys are talking about having two or four subs. They are after something very different from me.

For me, in a 30x18 room with vaulted ceilings, the DD-15 was plenty of sub. If I could afford it, I'd have one just for HT, too. I suspect, though, that if you want to knock the walls down, the SVS will have more power, but will never be quite as tight.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I've seen a demo of the DD15 and hope to audition one day. I've also seen Velodyne handwrapping the voicecoil on their drivers. They are building these subs here in the Bay Area. They are expensive, but they also cost alot to make. TomV told me that performance wise the 20-39+ and the DD15 would be close. By this, I took it to mean output and range. I'll reserve judgement on SQ after hearing the DD.

I have no trouble believeing the 20-39+ exceeds the DLS5000R and even the SPL models for SQ and performance. It's wonderful for HT and great for music, I tend to listen to the DD owners especially if they own SVS too.

T

triumph

Audiophyte
Thanks Ron for your opinon. By the end of next week I will have all three to judge, but I think there will be no contest for the 20-39+. Thanks Doug

B

BassHead

Banned
MACCA350 said:

I just no plenty who had velodynes and had regrets spending so much on them and had to send in their sub for some kind of repair,most had been older hgs and recent middle class and dd series.drivers had been ok but main concern was amp problems,You maybe lucky.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
I'll be running 2 DD-15 in my HT and 2 DD-10s in m y 2 chanel by the end of the week.

I loved the DD series. There are other fantastic subs out there, but I have had no problem with my DD-15 and appreciate its exceptional build quality, extensive features and flawless performance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis