Velodyne HGSX+Behringer BFD == Velodyne DD?

E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
Hey, I'm in the market for a sub. Concern is primarily 2 channel music.

I was wondering if a Velodyne HGSX w/ Behringer P-EQ will be similar in performance to a Velodyne DD.

I guess the question is.. how much better is the servo system in the DD compared to the older HGSX?

:confused:

E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
I guess another question is, if I have a spl meter and am willing to do the work.

Can I match what the SMS-1 does with a Behringer BFD?

B

Bevan

Audioholic
the bfd is more flexible and i would therefore say inherently better than the sms-1, provided you are willing to download the requisite software yourself and learn to use the bfd properly.

cheers

b

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
However, the Behringer products stop at 20Hz. You can go down to 5Hz with the SMS-1.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Well, the DD series has a SMS-1 built in, so if you wanted something like a DD, use the HGSX (which has the newer driver) with the SMS-1.

SheepStar

E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all.

Sounds like HGS-X + BFD will be a good low cost alternative to the DD.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Bevan said:
the bfd is more flexible and i would therefore say inherently better than the sms-1, provided you are willing to download the requisite software yourself and learn to use the bfd properly.
Here is what craigsub said about this here
Having had the Behringer 2496, the R-Des, and the Velo EQ in the DD-18 with its auto-eq upgrade, I don't think anything comes CLOSE to the Velo EQ. The 6 stored curves, with phase, crossover, parametric bands , etc, AND the ease of use, it is a GREAT product for a high end system.

The fact that EVERYTHING (cables, microphone, etc...) comes in a single box makes the price more than reasonable.

And here is Bruce Hall's answer to 'using a HGSX10 with SMS-1 compaired with a DD10'
IMO, I'd go with the DD-10. Let's try this list:

1. The DD will have eveything integrated, no external EQ box
2. The DD has a digital accelerometer, while the HGSX is analog. THe DD has more loop gain, less distortion.
3. The DD has a theater/music control where you can adjust the amount of servo loop gain (i.e. distortion).
4. Street price for the HGSX + SMS should about equal that of the DD.
5. The DD will play about 2 dB louder than the HGS-X.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

cheers:)

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Great post MCACC...

The HGS/X is a great sub, but the DD is better. The software is superb. Look for a deal on the DD. It will take 3 hours( that's with placement) vs. 30 to dial in the sub. Think of it as a kitchen appliance that lasts for 10 years. It's cheap over that scale.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis