Velodyne DSP-12B Sub at FS for 299

R

Rockster

Audiophyte
Hello, I just noticed FS has a Velodyne DSP-12B boxing day sale 299.00 canadian. Is this a decent sub for the price? I was going to get energy S8.3, would this sub be better ?

Thank you

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
With subs, you really get what you pay for. Often times if you can shell out the money for a decent sounding sub in the first place, you can save yourself a lot of headache of upgrading to a better sub later on.

Ever thought about Velodyne's SPL line of subs? The SPL line is Velodyne's entry audiophile line (not quite audiophile, but close).

P

paulman65

Enthusiast
futureshop also knocked off 555 bucks of the DLS-5000R sub aswell its on sale for 445.00, thats not a bad price, but im not to familar with this sub

S

Sparky21

Audiophyte
I'm taking a hard look at the Velodyne DLS-5000R at future shop with the price drop. Less than half price. I've seen some reviews that say that they are not as good as the SVS or the HSU's in the 15-30 Hz range but shine at 40-60.

Choices... choices

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm taking a hard look at the Velodyne DLS-5000R at future shop with the price drop. Less than half price. I've seen some reviews that say that they are not as good as the SVS or the HSU's in the 15-30 Hz range but shine at 40-60.

Choices... choices
A 15inch that is great in the "40Hz-60Hz" range? Wow! What an achievement!

Save your money and buy a real sub. BTW, this is coming from a DPS-12 owner (paid $399CAD).

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

Choices... choices
I bought my first 5000R for 800 bucks, my second one, a thousand bucks.

for 400+ bucks, I'd buy one for each channel :)

the port is tuned to 30hz, but I believe there's an EQ boost lower than that.
so yes, the SVS and HSU's will go way lower, but its a tradeoff thing ... lower tuning = less loud. more loud = higher tuning.
oh and the 5000R have always had the 1000w amp (not the 600w specs rating); same amp as the SPL-R series.

jburak

Audiophyte
I have both the Velodyne Dsp-12 and the Energy S8.3. I was expecting a little more from the velodyne after initially having the Energy. I went with the FS deal of $299. The Energy has some admirable qualities at lower volumes - it is slightly punchier and allows me to feel mid to low bass better. The velodyne is louder and more powerful. It seems to remain clear with lower notes and louder scenes for HT (like from Twister). The Energy starts to fart a little when it gets loud and doesn't fill the room quite as much. Although the velodyne seems like it should be the choice between the two, I'm left still deciding. For my room size, and typical listening volumes, I may stick with the energy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis