A

azaky

Enthusiast
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this sub? My brother is moving and wanted to know if I wanted it. Of course I will take a free sub, its new and like I said... free. But, I wanted to see if anyone had any warnings or praises about it. Of course, any information is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Alex

So Far:

NAD T762 A/V Reciever
NAD 513 CD/DVD
Paradigm 5SE fronts
Paradigm Mini-Monitors Rear
Polk Center (need to get rid of)
Velodyne DPS-10 Sub
Panasonic TH-42PX50U

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Good sub, listened to one at circuit city not too long ago, couldnt believe the sound was coming out of a 10" sub, and your getting it free, thats even better should be a nice addition

A

azaky

Enthusiast
Yea, in my brothers set-up it was well placed and really filled the room nice so I am psyched! Hey Spiffy, I can get those monitor7s for $650, is that a good deal?

Thanks for your help man...

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
From what I've seen yeah, you can probably talk them down to 600 if your tough about it...maybe..? Its at least worth a shot. When I went in and looked at them they quoted me 750 which I thought was really high.

A

azaky

Enthusiast
So, I picked it up and had one simple question for you all. My NAD can be set at 80, 100, 120, 140, 160 and 200 for the sub crossover. The sub goes up to 80, 100, 110 and DIRECT ( I think bypassing the subs crossover and just running it off the NAD settings) With that said what should I set them at. Right now it sounds not too bad and I have the Sub set for DIRECT and the NAD set for 100. Sound right?

The manual said to stagger the settings, but I read some where else to shut the sub cross off and use the cross over in the NAD. Thoughts? Thanks for helping out a newbi :)

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
depends on what your other speakers can do, itll be better for you NAD if you leave all the bass for the velodyne to take care of. THX reccomends the cutoff be 80hz, so have everything about 80Hz go to your speakers and everything under go to the sub. but really, just fiddle with it until you think it sounds the best, but the 80 should be a good starting place.

A

azaky

Enthusiast
Ok Spiffy, so set the NAD to 80 and turn the sub crossover off? Is that correct?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
yeah, thatll work for ya, if it doesnt sound how you want it to, start to tweak it, movie it a level up, if ya dont like that move it down, keep playing with it until you like it

A

azaky

Enthusiast
Gotcha, thanks so much man. Also, when i go into the NAD to adjust the fronts and such, I get a Large and Small option. What's that all about?

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Large and small is refering to the size of the rest of your speakers. It is pretty accurate but not an exact science. I ve read a bunch of posts about the setting being wrong for auto callibration. If you want to do it yourself...I would, if you have small speakers (satalites or small bookshelves) then set your receiver to small and if you have towers then set the receiver to large. I believe this is to limit the low frequency being sent to the speakers so they wont be damaged at high volume. Feel free to tweek all you want...Its your system and you have to listen to it.

Have fun

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The aduioholics staff recommends that unless you front speakers can play down to 20hz or so, that you run them small and let your subwoofer handle it. Running them small is also easier on the speakers amplifier as it doesn't have to put as much power into the bass.

sheep

A

azaky

Enthusiast
I have Paradigm 5seMKII's up front, I think their rating is 57hz-20-kHz(on axis) & 57Hz-15kHz (off axis). Still set em up as small?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Yes, set them as small, your sub is much better suited to play bass than your towers. This will also help take the load off of your receiver trying to reproduce them.

A

azaky

Enthusiast
Thanks Spiffy! You got all my answers, thanks man I appreciate it!

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
no problem, always nice to be able to help someone out after all the advice I got when first learning about everything

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis