P

Paulauryn

Enthusiast
I know it is beyond archaic but my wife wants to watch old VHS tapes. We have an old Sharp VCR and I want to connect through Yamaha RX-V385 receiver to the TV. At face value it appears to be a straightforward setup - yellow and white RCAout from VCR to yellow and white RCA AV2 inputs on receiver. Set receiver function to AV2 and set TV input to the receiver. Done but no video or sound. What am I missing if anything?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I know it is beyond archaic but my wife wants to watch old VHS tapes. We have an old Sharp VCR and I want to connect through Yamaha RX-V385 receiver to the TV. At face value it appears to be a straightforward setup - yellow and white RCAout from VCR to yellow and white RCA AV2 inputs on receiver. Set receiver function to AV2 and set TV input to the receiver. Done but no video or sound. What am I missing if anything?
I agree it is confusing. I had to have a good look at your manual. Your receiver will not convert old analog TV outputs via the analog inputs to HDMI video.

So you will have to run an analog composite cable from your receiver to the TV and switch the TV input to composite video. It is possible your TV does not have an analog composite video input. If that is so you are out of luck. As usual the manuals are not good, so you might have to make an analog audio connection from receiver to TV also. That is actually likely the case I suspect.

Time to distract your wife to other activities.

P

Paulauryn

Enthusiast
Thanks. Trust me that doesn’t break my heart, lol. One more follow up - would an RCA to HDMI converter work to connect it to an HDMI input. I have seen those floating around on Amazon.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
In the decade or so when we were straddling the fence between analog sources and inputs and the all digital stuff provided by HDMI, this problem of the missing sound and or video was commonplace when going through a receiver. @TLS Guy got it right: if you start with an analog source (your vcr will be analog) you need an all analog path all the way to the TV. I had many a rats nest of cables straddling this fence.

Every now and again I am tempted by something like a VCR tape in my hand and what it would take to watch it.
Having it converted to a DVD may be a better idea.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Elaborating a bit on TLS’s Post #2, if your TV has a yellow RCA jack labeled “video” you can us that input. Send the VCR’s audio jacks to the Yamaha.

If no yellow jack, you’ll have to get a converter like the one TLS linked.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Elaborating a bit on TLS’s Post #2, if your TV has a yellow RCA jack labeled “video” you can us that input. Send the VCR’s audio jacks to the Yamaha.

If no yellow jack, you’ll have to get a converter like the one TLS linked.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
That is not his problem. With that VCR when you make a composite connection, the output is not available from HDMI. It is only available through the composite output on the VCR. So he needs the converter or he has to make a composite connection to his TV and an analog audio connection as well. I have not seen this before, but the manual is quite specific it will not convert to HDMI from an analog connection. A sign of things to come I suppose.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
His Vizio doesn't appear to support composite or component connections....

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
or he has to make a composite connection to his TV and an analog audio connection as well.
Which is exactly what I told him to do. He had already said he had tried to connect it to the Yamaha receiver, and as noted it doesn’t convert analog to HDMI.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis