vandersteen model 2s

P

peibiao1

Audiophyte
I have some old vandersteen model 2s. What might be an affordable route to powering these? I'm open to vintage or new. High-end amps are receivers can cost sooooo much.

I'm wondering if an onkyo TX-4500 would overheat when hooked to them.

Thanks for the advice!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Onkyo isn't particularly powerful but falls within the recommended amp range from Vandersteen, albeit at the lower end power wise. Would also be depending on your desired spl levels and distance from the speaker. If the Onkyo doesn't have enough power for your use it has pre-out/main-in for an external amp.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I think the Vandresteen 2´s are not very hard to drive, so possibly even a modest amp should be able to make well duty, but IMHO there is always something with powerful amps, like a BMW M3 gives you more, even if you don´t drive fast.

It looks like the TX-4500 is pretty high with distortion figures, maybe that pre-out and a class-d amp.... as impedance does not go that low, I think a lot of class-d amps can do really well here, my 5 cents of tips, and it does not break the bank: Some ncore based amp? :cool:

One more thing, those phase correct speakers have something MAGIC about them :cool:
I do have a pair of Duntech´s that I will never part with, they are simply too good

Impedance curve below, as measured by John Atkinson of Stereophile

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The Onkyo is rated at 55W/ch and the Model 2 calls for 40W to 160W (assuming it's similar to the 2ce). Are you looking to buy the Onkyo or test one that you have? Would be fine to test out, but as mentioned, whether 55W is enough depends on how loud you listen and at what distance. Sensitivity is 88dB and impedance is mostly around 7 ohms so shouldn't be too hard to drive.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The Onkyo is rated at 55W/ch and the Model 2 calls for 40W to 160W (assuming it's similar to the 2ce). Are you looking to buy the Onkyo or test one that you have? Would be fine to test out, but as mentioned, whether 55W is enough depends on how loud you listen and at what distance. Sensitivity is 88dB and impedance is mostly around 7 ohms so shouldn't be too hard to drive.
Again, I think there is always a benefit to having power at hand, even if you don´t go loud!

Second hand Krell? :cool:
Some of those older amps play like there is no tomorrow .... Some people I know think of Krell kav300-i as one of the best Krell´s ever and second hand, not so pricey, I believe ....

P

peibiao1

Audiophyte
I think the Vandresteen 2´s are not very hard to drive, so possibly even a modest amp should be able to make well duty, but IMHO there is always something with powerful amps, like a BMW M3 gives you more, even if you don´t drive fast.

It looks like the TX-4500 is pretty high with distortion figures, maybe that pre-out and a class-d amp.... as impedance does not go that low, I think a lot of class-d amps can do really well here, my 5 cents of tips, and it does not break the bank: Some ncore based amp? :cool:

One more thing, those phase correct speakers have something MAGIC about them :cool:
I do have a pair of Duntech´s that I will never part with, they are simply too good

Impedance curve below, as measured by John Atkinson of Stereophile
Thanks so much for all the info. I looked into ncore amps and found 90w/8 ohm channel denon pma-600ne. This price is so low though, it's almost suspect at $500. I found another good looking one Cambridge CXA61 at 60W/8ohm Channel. It's a couple hundred more. Both look to have great reviews. Any thoughts? Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I used to have them connected to an old 60 lbs Onkyo TX-4500 and it burned up so was wondering if it was because it was underpowered. Either way I need to by an new amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis