VAHALLA 2: What Type of Headphones To Get Open Back, Closed? Then Cables!

T

Thrill Killer

Audioholic Intern
This is my first foray into a discreet HP setup.

I was recently able to get a Valhalla 2 for a c-note LNIB. Anyways, What type of phones to use with it? It was a On A Whim purchase. I wasn't looking to build a HP setup. It just kinda happened.

I need advice for the amp. For those who have one. Is it preferable to have a Open, or Closed back phone? Also, the listening position will be approx 10ft away. Adding the height of my audio rack where the amp will be, and my head height as I sit on the couch. I figure around 13'ish feet over all. Custom Cabling will be a must. Or, a Custom length extension cable?

The main source will be a MacBook. With music in Applelossy. Whether I connect Mac-Val, or Mac-Pre-Val remains to be seen. I also will listen to Vinyl. Hence the Pre mention. My only Phones are Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. Which I've had for awhile. I haven't hooked up the Val-2 yet. And new Phones will be purchased. The M50x will be used to establish a baseline

Any Advice-Tips-Links, etc will be appreciated!

Pre-Amps: Marantz AV7702 (HT only) MacIntosh C36 (TT set up. HT Pass Thru only)

Amps: MacIntosh MC2205 L/R (HT-TT) MacIntosh MC30 C Emotiva XPA-3 Surr

Speakers: Martin Logan Motion 40's L/R Motion 8 C Motion 4 Surr SVS PB-1000 Sub

Turntable: Technics SL-1200MK5 w/Goldring 1006

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Open vs closed is more of a preference. If you are not in rush then these would be great https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?referer=4568TG&mode=guest_open ( note the shipping date ) if you cant wait that long these are good for the price as well https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones?referer=4568TG&mode=guest_open and will ship sooner.

Pretty hard to recommend as don't know your budget. Sennheiser HD600 is great pick as well if you want comfortable and neutral sounding headphones.

T

Thrill Killer

Audioholic Intern
Senn HD660S is my goal. And within budget. But, I'd like to know if they're a good match for the Val-2.

I'd like to start off with some phones in the $300 range. That are a good match for my amp. Then step up to the 660's as my "Ear" develops.

That Mass Drop deal looks tempting. I'm gonna PTT on that. And those, with my current phones will be my baseline. I'll do plenty of A/B testing to see what I like, etc.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I actually had to check up Valhalla 2, so you have got tube amp, are you aware that tubes will color the sound? Any headphones will work with any amp generally, it is more of a preference again. HD660 should be good pick as I believe they are based on HD600/HD650 and those were one of best headphones in price range and have neutral sound HD650 being little bit warmer imo. I personally would of gone for O2DAC amp for headphones as it is best neutral amp you can get. But of you want colored sound I dont blame you.

T

Thrill Killer

Audioholic Intern
I know about Tubes. As I have 2 MacIntosh Amps in my system. Plus, it was only $100 LNIB. So I really couldn't pass it up. This is going to be my "Starter" Set-Up. My journey begins here. The learning will be fun.

I'm still hoping to hear from some current or past Valhalla-2 owners about their experiences with this amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis