V-MODA Crossfade Wireless 2 vs. Focal Listen Wireless - Headphone Shootout

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
V-MODA and Focal have arguably made two of the finest affordable wireless Bluetooth headphones to hit the market in 2017, both carrying an MSRP of around $300. But what happens when two contenders for best new wireless headphones are pitted against each other in a head-to-head, feature-by-feature showdown? Which will emerge the victor in the arena of one curmudgeonly editor’s opinion? Let’s get ready to rumble with a good ol' fashion shootout!

headphones.png

Read: V-MODA Crossfade Wireless 2 vs. Focal Listen Wireless - Headphone Shootout

Last edited:
dalethorn

dalethorn

Audiophyte
The comparison of these two headphones seems fair enough, although I had the Focal Listen Pro (but not the Bluetooth version), and its treble was so choppy I couldn't get a good smooth EQ on it, enough to make it an enjoyable listen. On the other hand, I was able to easily adjust the v-moda to an excellent sound, because its response isn't that far from neutral to begin with. I also had the Focal Elear and Focal Spirit Pro, as well as half a dozen v-moda headphones.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
The comparison of these two headphones seems fair enough, although I had the Focal Listen Pro (but not the Bluetooth version), and its treble was so choppy I couldn't get a good smooth EQ on it, enough to make it an enjoyable listen. On the other hand, I was able to easily adjust the v-moda to an excellent sound, because its response isn't that far from neutral to begin with. I also had the Focal Elear and Focal Spirit Pro, as well as half a dozen v-moda headphones.
Hey @dalethorn ! Good to see you over from the S'phile site! Hopefully we won't have to put up with Tony in Michigan's ramblings (Phew!) or Bogolu Haranath's incessant (and grammatically incorrect) use of ellipses (and answering his/her own comments).

The Focal Spirit One was my first foray back into the world of head-fi and I've also owned the V-Moda M100. I loved them both but have since moved on. I certainly would like to give the Elear or Clear a try but budget constraints and all...

dalethorn

dalethorn

Audiophyte
Hey @dalethorn ! Good to see you over from the S'phile site! Hopefully we won't have to put up with Tony in Michigan's ramblings (Phew!) or Bogolu Haranath's incessant (and grammatically incorrect) use of ellipses (and answering his/her own comments).
The Focal Spirit One was my first foray back into the world of head-fi and I've also owned the V-Moda M100. I loved them both but have since moved on. I certainly would like to give the Elear or Clear a try but budget constraints and all...
I hear ya - I've had some strong recommendations on the Clear. Assuming it's a little more balanced than the Elear in the lower treble (whatever happened to the old designs that rolled off above 10 khz?), it might work perfectly right out of the box, or if EQ is necessary it might be a small and smooth adjustment. What's amazing about these high-end Focals is the bass, and you hold the earcup in hand and gently blow on the driver and watch it move like an air-suspension woofer with 1000 watts behind it. Pretty incredible.

dalethorn

dalethorn

Audiophyte
The new Elgia looks interesting...
Maybe Innerfidelity or someone as good will do a critical comparison between the Elgia and the Sennheiser HD820. If the result is exciting enough - who knows?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis