Using the remote IR input/output between brands.

M

macersl

Audioholic Intern
I have a Sony DVD and TV and a HK 335 receiver. I want to control all functions via the TV's remote sensor. Am I able to do this using the remote IR output from the TV to the remote IR input on the receiver and DVD player?

Would it work if I made a chain if the signal went in this order:

TV output >>
DVD input <<
DVD output >>
receiver input <<

Can you make a chain with components?
&
Are the brands compatible with each other?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No. Signal chain doesn't matter, because your components are controlled by the IR directly. They will not control each other by linking them together, as the connections don't have anything to do with controlling another component unless specifically designed to do so.

What you should look at is controlling everything with the receiver's remote, because it is more that likely the only one that will do so. TV remotes normally do not include audio system functions. Most receivers come with a multi-brand capable remote with most of the necessary basic functions to control other devices and brands. I'm not familiar with your receiver's remote, but if it is a learning one, then you can program whatever functions you need to control everything. If it isn't a learning remote, you can purchase one that can learn the functions you need relatively inexpensively.

M

macersl

Audioholic Intern
j_garcia said:
What you should look at is controlling everything with the receiver's remote, because it is more that likely the only one that will do so. TV remotes normally do not include audio system functions. Most receivers come with a multi-brand capable remote with most of the necessary basic functions to control other devices and brands. I'm not familiar with your receiver's remote, but if it is a learning one, then you can program whatever functions you need to control everything. If it isn't a learning remote, you can purchase one that can learn the functions you need relatively inexpensively.
Thanks for the input. I intend on using the Harmony remote I currently have. What I was refering to is using the remote sensor on the TV to control everything, not the remote itself that came with the TV.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, it won't work. You can buy an IR repeater that will allow you a single IR access point though. I'm guessing you want to close the gear behind some doors or something?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
j_garcia said:
No, it won't work. You can buy an IR repeater that will allow you a single IR access point though. I'm guessing you want to close the gear behind some doors or something?

And, after this, he still needs a universal remote with the other components IR input to that remote.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, I admit that I am a bit confused by this question.

Are we talking about IR In and IR Out jacks on the back of the components? I suspect that is not quite the real question because I personally can't think of any TVs or DVD players that have IR In/Out jacks. If the components did have those jacks, then they could be used to do what macersl wants to do.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
MDS said:
Ok, I admit that I am a bit confused by this question.

Are we talking about IR In and IR Out jacks on the back of the components? I suspect that is not quite the real question because I personally can't think of any TVs or DVD players that have IR In/Out jacks. If the components did have those jacks, then they could be used to do what macersl wants to do.

Garcia was talking about a repeater that sends the signal to each component, usually over hard wire. But, each component still needs it unique signals, hence a universal remote controller.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
He says he has a Harmony, which is a programmable universal manufacturer IIRC, so I believe the question is how to be able to get the signal to equipment that is either not located in the same area as the display, possibly a closet, or is in a cabinet and he would rather not leave the doors open all the time.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
No, I haven't seen a component yet (that I've used) that has IR out jacks on the back that act like an IR repeater system. In fact, hard wire IR ports actually require the IR signal to have the carrier frequency stripped off of it (typically) so that it will even work.

Only a few products even are controllable via the IR inputs on the back.

Quite often the IR output on the back is used when a VCR needs to change the channel of a cable box. Or when a Tivo needs to control your DSS channel. Some brands do control their own products directly, but it is highly proprietary from what I've seen. Something like a Mitsubishi TV w/Mits. VCR or something similar.

As said, an IR repeater system is the way to go, and if you are irritated by IR bugs sitting on the front of your components, you can take a few hours and open the components up and bury the IR emitter inside the pieces of equipment. I did that for all mine so that while most pieces are IR controlled, you can't tell, and there are no wires hanging off or bugs that small hands will remove from the correct location.

M

macersl

Audioholic Intern
j_garcia said:
He says he has a Harmony, which is a programmable universal manufacturer IIRC, so I believe the question is how to be able to get the signal to equipment that is either not located in the same area as the display, possibly a closet, or is in a cabinet and he would rather not leave the doors open all the time.
Right on the money. Sorry my question has been so confusing. I am thinking about moving my receiver and DVD player behind closed doors and only leaving the TV's sensor exposed.

M

macersl

Audioholic Intern
BMXTRIX said:
No, I haven't seen a component yet (that I've used) that has IR out jacks on the back that act like an IR repeater system. In fact, hard wire IR ports actually require the IR signal to have the carrier frequency stripped off of it (typically) so that it will even work.

Only a few products even are controllable via the IR inputs on the back.

Quite often the IR output on the back is used when a VCR needs to change the channel of a cable box. Or when a Tivo needs to control your DSS channel. Some brands do control their own products directly, but it is highly proprietary from what I've seen. Something like a Mitsubishi TV w/Mits. VCR or something similar.

As said, an IR repeater system is the way to go, and if you are irritated by IR bugs sitting on the front of your components, you can take a few hours and open the components up and bury the IR emitter inside the pieces of equipment. I did that for all mine so that while most pieces are IR controlled, you can't tell, and there are no wires hanging off or bugs that small hands will remove from the correct location.

Now that I think about it, I can't confirm that my DVD player has them but I know my TV and receiver do. At the very least I would like to control the receiver using the TV's sensor. But I don't know if it works between different brands. I have a HK receiver and a Sony TV.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
True.

j_garcia said:
Usually between different brands it does not.
Some brands allow interconenction between their own products vis propiatary schemes but I doubt they allow mixing brands.

My NAD stuff uses "NAD Link" which is simply RCA plugs with a wire on the back. That way I have limited control over my 616 tape deck through my 1600 tuner/preamp. The tape deck didn't even include a remote with it but it DID give me that RCA/RCA cable to connect it to another unit.

I believe Pioneer had a similar scheme.

I don't even think most gear even has the required I/O on it, does it?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
RF extender solution.

to control devices located in a cabinet. consider the Next Generation RF Remote control extender. It allows the remote to send an RF signal to the receiver from up to 100 feet away. The receiver beams the signal to the devices or use a single or tripple eye emitter to send the signal to each device.

Audioholics and several members gave it great reviews. You can get it at Parts Express for about $50.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis